Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

How often have you found you need external wirless service on top of wifi?

Hi all new here -
    I'm really interested in the Transformer Prime however I'm stuck on the whole "wifi only". Granted in most places you can get wifi as I would be using this mainly when I travel. I was curious how often you have found yourself needing to have a service (ie 3G or 4g) when wifi wasn't avail?

Also would anyone know if I can use my air card (AT&T) with the Transformer Prime?

Thanks!

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    106 times
    I have traveled with my Transformer (just got back from Texas last weekend) and find that 80 - 85% of the time I had wifi readily available. The other times that it was not available I connected via bluetooth to my DroidX and that works like a champ!

As far as the Air Card I do not think it will work with the Transformer. If you had a mifi type device (recommended just for these situations) that would be a little diff.

Good Luck! It has been a great partner while traveling (watch multiple movies on a single flight with battery to spare when you get to your destination).
    Play Bf3? Give some love to our server! Great group of admins!!

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Hi EC, and welcome to the forum

I never feel the need to use (3G/4G). Since I don't use public hotspots, on the rare occasion that I do need access I have a portable Verizon 4G hotspot that I use for my other devices as well, when absolutely needed.

Your Aircard won't work unless you find a way to bridge the WiFi to another device, like a laptop or netbook. This would be a limitation of Android drivers not so much the hardware. There might be a way to do that if you root but I wouldn't advise that based on a lot of recent posts, just to get the Aircard to work.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks all for the responses. I'll start looking into a mifi. I don't have experience with those. Are there any without "contracts"? Again I think I can get away with just wifi in 90% of the cases (hotels and certain flights no problem as my work pays for any internet service needed). It's just those certain instances where I may need it some service and none is avail. However it sounds like there are some options (ie tethering however I have a BB and not sure if I can tether to that and mifi devices).

Thanks again!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I guess that really depends on how often you think you will want to use your tablet when you are away from your home's wifi spot.

Persoanlly, my tablet would only be half as useful if I only were able to use it in my home's wifi area. I find that I bring my table with me more than I originally thought I would and being able to hit the internet when I want to has made all the difference it deciding to bring or leave my tablet home.

That said... I wouldn't pay an extra 30 to 60 bucks a month just so my tablet can have internet. It's just dumb, sepcially since I am paying an extra 20 to 30 bucks a month to have the internet on my phone. Having the internet on my phone is more important if I had to choose to only bring one device, so that is here I am going to keep it. So what I have done, is root my phone and use a wifi tethering program where I can connect my tablet to and from that I am able to use the internet where ever I need, when I am away from my home's wifi area - kinda like what I am doing now while I am at work...even though they lock down the computers, I can still get out to the internet with the set up I have

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I have owned my TF for 4 months now. I have needed internet connectivity once when I did not have it. At that point I Bluetooth tethered to my Droid X. I have now rooted my Droid X so now I can wifi tether as well.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I have a side benefit to having the MiFi. I have 3 smart phones in the house, 2 are mine, also a laptop that doesn't have a data plan. With AT&T you MUST have a data plan with a smart phone so I elected to go with the minimum $15 plan and they thought I was crazy at the store because that only allows 200MB per phone. BUT I use the MiFi for the TF, all 3 smart phones, when possible, and my laptop when needed so I'm covering a lot of bases with only one major data plan and it's 5GB. That's a lot of data for even 5 mobile devices.

While this won't work for many people I'm saving enough that the MiFi for the TF is very nearly not costing anything.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    13 times
    I tether to my iPhone 3-4 times per week.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links