Thread: Multitasking

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    5 times

Multitasking

The specs of the TF101 say that the tablet is multitasking. I find that there is no minimize screen function that gets you back to the desktop to launch another app. ( I may just not know how to get back to the desktop) So when I'm using the browser if I want to check the weather, I have to exit, then start the weather app. When I start the browser again, I am brought to where I was. I can also use the previously used apps button to get me to previously used apps.

The only app I have experienced that multitasks is a streaming music app that continues to play when I go to use other apps.

So is there multitasking in the usual sense? Is it that the hardware is capable of multitaksing, but the ability to multitask depends on the application?

Since I usually do one thing at a time anyway, multitasking is not a big deal. I'm just would like to understand multitasking on the TF101.

Thanks,
    George

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    905 times
    There are apps that let you multitask, go to other apps and return to a previous one. I use Swipe Pad by Calcium Ion. You swipe from the edge of your TF, which opens a grid of apps that you can easily go to without closing the app that you are in. When you return, your in the same place that you left.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    22 times
    The multi-tasking in Android isn't quite as obvious as it is in Windows, for example. In fact, you rarely, yourself, close apps in Android so when you switch to a new app (will explain how to do that in a sec), the other app is running in the background until Android, itself, decides to shut it down. Of course, there are exceptions and some apps (i.e. Dolphin HD Browser) have "exit" options. But most android apps do not, and rely on the operating system to tell them to "get off the CPU!". Even when they do stop using the CPU, they are "saved" in their last operating state.

Now, to get to your desktop, just press the "house" icon on the bottom left of your screen. To get back to another running app, you can either invoke it again from the desktop and you go back where you were (if you didn't leave it alone for too long).

To switch between apps you've recently run, use the "two-screens" icon just to the right of the "home" icon. This gives you a list of apps on the left side of the screen that you have been using. Just pick the one you want. Note: If you used an "exit" function in an app (i.e. Dolphin HD browser), it may not be on the "recently used" list.

Hope that helps!

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Virtually every E-Mail app I've installed has the ability to check mail in the background. That's multi-tasking.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I wish there was a video media play that I can play in the background instead of pausing when I switch to another app.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    I wish there was a video media play that I can play in the background instead of pausing when I switch to another app.
    You mean watch video in a small window while you have other apps that run and update other parts of your screen in different window?

This is not yet possible under Android. Sharing the screen at the same time with multiple windows is not yet implemented - remember Android has its origins as a phone OS which has much smaller screen than a Tablet and since it does not make much sense to have multiple windows open on a phone screen, Android does not support it yet. Tablet is a later addition into the whole mix - so things are as yet evolving.
    VLBaindoor

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links