Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

does transformer supports traditional Chinese and hand writing recognition?

Hi,

I am considering getting the Transformer Prime when it is released. I am wondering if the current transformer supports both traditional Chinese and English? Also, does it support Chinese hand writing recognition? I have an iPad 2 and it supports the Chinese hand writing recognition. I am hoping to replace the iPad 2 with the transformer Prime. But, the hand writing recognition is important to me. Thanks!

phsieh2005

Soundwave
    Member #
    Perth, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Great Wall
    Liked
    0 times
    Not to hijack your thread, but I was wondering if it supports Japanese Handwriting recogition and keyboarding. I am learning Japanese so it would be good if it did.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    71 times
    Didn't see this one earlier, sorry.

If you look at this Dagi (stylus manufacturer) video, at 2:28 it shows Chinese handwriting recognition.

I've also found this list but haven't tried any of them myself. You can probably find more in Android market.

Chinese handwriting recognition Apps - Android

As for Japanese, the only thing I've found on Android Market is Kanji recognizer. Are you interested in Kanji or hiragana / katakana?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Perth, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Great Wall
    Liked
    0 times
    Everything. On my Windows 7 Talet (EP121), I have Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji writing abilities using the stylus. I was hoping for the same thing from the Transformer.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    I use Graffiti to input hiragana and katakana. I "write" romaji on the left side of the Graffiti input area (the right side is for numbers) and the screen shows kana when the kana icon is showing to the left of the input area. Then, when appropriate, relevant kanji show up just above the input area and can be chosen by tapping.

I keep Graffiti as my "Current Input Method" in Settings when I dock the tablet. Then, if you activate Graffiti by touching the tablet screen, the keyboard with change romaji to kana.

There is a great Japanese-English dictionary that uses Jim Breen's database. It's called wwwjdic and it comes with handwriting recognition for kanji. You may have to install the kanji recognizer app, too.

You can look up kanji compounds, too. After the handwriting recognition software shows you a list of possible kanji for your hand written one, you can do a long tap to activate a menu that includes copy to clipboard and append to clipboard. Of course, after you copy the first kanji of your compound, you append the other(s). Also, using the correct stroke order increases the chances that the recognition software will "find" the desired kanji.

Hope this helps.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you. i just want an input not a dictinary. So you are recomending Graffiti? Do I need to choose any special options when I get the app or does it come with Japanese Recognition installed?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phsieh2005 View Post
    Hi,

I am considering getting the Transformer Prime when it is released. I am wondering if the current transformer supports both traditional Chinese and English? Also, does it support Chinese hand writing recognition? I have an iPad 2 and it supports the Chinese hand writing recognition. I am hoping to replace the iPad 2 with the transformer Prime. But, the hand writing recognition is important to me. Thanks!

phsieh2005

I don't think it is necessarily baked into the stock Android OS but there are quite a number of options here if you search through the apps Android market. I used Baidu's Chinese input method, for instance. Some names like DioPen etc. ring a bell too.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by falconm11 View Post
    Thank you. i just want an input not a dictinary. So you are recomending Graffiti? Do I need to choose any special options when I get the app or does it come with Japanese Recognition installed?
    As I recall, you just have to download and install the Graffiti app (Graffiti Pro is available and has no ads.) You choose to use Graffiti as your input method in Settings. The default language is English, but you can choose hiragana or katakana by tapping on the icon with the Letter A on the left of the input area.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Cool, thanks for letting me know!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links