Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: User Reviews

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all, just received my TF today from BB. So far, so good.

• No significant light bleed.
    • Took all of 5 mins to start it up including wifi setup, linking to my existing google account, setting up the email client for both my gmail and verizon accounts, getting splashtop working, etc.
    • Love the widgets.
    • Immediately upgraded to .13 withno issues.
    • Build quality is great IMO - no creaks or gaps. Definitely in the sanme class as the A500.
    • 2 things I`m looking forward to in HC 3.1 though - scrollable task list and the ability to have the home key go to the last home screen that was used.
    • Running for 6 hours now on first charge abd still have 22% left.
    • Only minor annoyance is the sharp edge that has been mentioned but as I will be using a folio case soon, that is a moot point.

So after almost getting cold feet after reading about melting AC adapters, crackling speakers, light bleed, going dead requiring successive cold reboots, etc., I`m happy to say my experience has been flawless. At least so far - keeping my fingers crossed.

This board has been very useful for me leading up to my purchase!

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Here's a great new review that will you feeling glad about your purchase
    Review: Asus Eee Pad Transformer – Stuff Middle East
    poisonivy likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Up to now after 4 days i like it,it takes some getting used to after a laptop,the only thing that annoys me is the power button,sometimes it takes a really long press if i havent been on for even a short time,iv got it down now to a 6sec or so press then a quick one,having said that today its on with a short press
    Last edited by poisonivy; 06-02-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

32gb Transformer

Picked mine up yesterday.
    After the Xoom, I figured I would use it for a week before I ordered the keyboard.

So far after 1+ days of use I am getting about 8 hours good use on a charge.
    SHould go up slightly with use I think.

Everything has worked well; MyCloud, MyNet, 32gb SD Card (transferred a lot of music and docs to it), DropBox, QuickOffice, etc.....

Apparently Pocket Legends doesn't work - am troubleshooting it....

Since unboxing, I have had one slowdown/lockup that I traced back to an animated wallpaper app (Celtic Garden...). Was not releasing mem....
    I also ran into a wifi issue (N) on waking it up this morning - required a reboot. Only wifi issue so far.

My music, videos and movies have been great. Sound was better than I expected.

Am finding some sites that use Flash and work on my Nexus have issues on the Transformer (MochiGames/Kingdoms at War as an example) - issues are with typing from the keyboard; only the first letter of each word displays.
    Opera won't recognize Flash - strange.

No light bleeding or other issues so far.
    Camera is mediocre.

As I play a bit more I'll post. So far I am very pleased.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

My New Eee Pad

So had been umming and ah-ing for some time and eventually took the plunge ... ironically (1) after speaking to an Ipad2 fanboy who convinced me that tablets can have relly useful business usages rather than just the fun sofa browsing/bigger angry birds angles :-) and ironically (2) what attracted me to the eee was the keyboard but when I was in a PC World they didnt have any keyboards - so bought it anyway.

I think the main thing I have to say - now having had one for 24hrs is that I had too little sleep as a result :-) ... really great and as Stevn Fry famously said about the Ipad its only when you start using them that you get a feel for how neat they are.

Great build quality, splendid display, decent battery use so far [what happens when the battery dies in a couple of years??] really nice to use - in fact smudgy finger marks the only irritation but then that comes with the territory - its good glass so no worse than others I am sure. Also as its more in the computer zone than a phone [I have an HTC Desire which tethers very nicely] its just so pleasant using Android rather than g*ddamn clunky bloated windows.

As always with something of a blank canvas most of the time goes finding Apps to really leverage it - and to point out the obvious - when you end up with 3 or more devices all telling you emails etc sync is really key. Google works well for me for calendar and contacts, the gmail app is better in 3.0 but still not so keen. Anyway dropbox and evernote [great how one can just email and add a notebook (folder) for it to automatically file anything (not a tag person myself)] seem to be the way forwards and thinking space for mind maps which havent got under the bonnet of. The Android browser is ok but really not as tied into Chrome as it should be at this stage.

Irritations are minor - unless mine is broken no charge/charged light which is not ideal. I may have had a problem with the charger [eee have had many due to overheating apaprently - plenty of forums talk about putting it in the fridge to reset] but i slightly bent the wires outwards and seems ok now touchwood...

Also I seem to have major microphone problems - voice recorder recordings show up at the time as having a decent enough signal but sound very muffled on playback.

Asus sync was rubbish [had similar probs with Samsung Galaxy sync] - gave up and used over the air utilities. Asus cloud thing said server unavailable a couple of times so gave up on that for the moment too.

Anyway these are quibbles - my executive summary is that if you are interested in this kind of product then its hard to imagine any reason that you would wish you hadnt bought it if you do [famous last words!!].

Look forward to getting some good ideas from this place ... its not just the hardware and the software that makes something a good gadget these days its the wetware kindly sharing their discoveries in places like this :-D

cheers

MIke
    Last edited by MikeB; 06-07-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gtsfrost View Post
    Was expecting more from the video playback. apparently a samsung galaxy tab can play back a x264 720p .mkv video but the transformer can't. Lags badly, to the extend of hanging.
    EDIT: ok so I was wrong about the video playback, I too was just trying to play back mkvs and mp4s straight from my pc on the Asus. Doesn't work so well that way. But converting them with Handbrake results in nice playback for 720ps. With this resolved, this is a nice little unit for $500. My only gripe is the proprietary (and short!) cable, but I got lan browser set up now so that's also less of an issue.

I'm someone who's always suffering from buyer's remorse so I have this little nag at the back of my mind that the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 will be a better tab but that doesn't have an sd slot and of course no kb option. Overall I'm very satisfied with this Asus pad. I took it to best buy and compared it with the Acer Iconia and the Motorola Xoom and the screen is twice as good, this really is a true IPS panel with better viewing angles than the other droid tabs currently available. Tapping is responsive, which I found not to be the case with Xoom.

The nits I've read online I find not to be issues. Creak: I get none; I dunno what those guys are doing, squeezing the hell out of this? No need. Some folks have said this has sharpish edges that dig into your palms; again I find this not to be true.
    Last edited by taem; 06-08-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Great build quality, splendid display, decent battery use so far [what happens when the battery dies in a couple of years??]
    Don't worry, the battery is replaceable in both the tablet and the keyboard dock. It's no iProduct in that regard.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phew! Thanks for that Cubits ... its nice but it would be an expensive paperweight :-~

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I've now got photo reviews of the Asus Transformer, its keyboard dock, and the Acer Iconia A500 tablet up on my blog. Feel free to have a look, leave a comment or critique, and be sure to click on the photos for a considerably enlarged view.

Asus Transformer
    Transformer keyboard Dock
    Acer Iconia Tab

4D

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubits View Post
    Don't worry, the battery is replaceable in both the tablet and the keyboard dock. It's no iProduct in that regard.
    Do you have more info on this such as the battery types and instructions for changing them?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links