• 1 Post By buzzman
  • 1 Post By buzzman

Thread: Dilemma - repair or replace?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Dilemma - repair or replace?

I bought the TF and dock back in July. Never used the keyboard dock yet. Out of curiosity tried the battery drain test with the unit docked and, yes, with the mobile dock battery saving mode checked the unit still wakes up with a key press. So no deep sleep. Tablet works fine with no issues.
    Not sure what to do. Send the dock back to Asus for repair or the the trusty UK Amazon would probably replace both dock and tablet with a new one. I haven't got any valuable data stored but have bought a few nice apps. Would they have to be purchased again if a brand new unit?
    Any comments much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Vernon -UK

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Had the Asus IT Repair service on the phone today, and they won't replace my TF because you have 7 days to ask for a replacement unit (and I called on the 8th day...). The repair guy told me that I had to send it 3 times to the repair center for them to file a complaint and get a new one - but that in my case they would make an exception and replace it after only to attempts...
    Sending it for the second time tomorrow...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Here in the US it has been virtually painless to RMA the Docking Station to Asus repair in Texas. And here, we have to pay for shipping to the repair facility. I understand in the UK shipping is free both ways. I would just send your Dock in for the battery drain fix. Since you haven't been using it anyway you won't miss it for it's short time being repaired. And when you do start using it, you'll be glad you got it fixed. It really makes a difference.
    verntern likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    I agree with 49. If you are keeping the dock, you should get this issue fixed. All they do is replace the chip set. A painless fix. When I sent mine in for the fix, my tablet was fine and they only requested the dock sent in.
    verntern likes this.
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrumm49 View Post
    Here in the US it has been virtually painless to RMA the Docking Station to Asus repair in Texas. And here, we have to pay for shipping to the repair facility. I understand in the UK shipping is free both ways. I would just send your Dock in for the battery drain fix. Since you haven't been using it anyway you won't miss it for it's short time being repaired. And when you do start using it, you'll be glad you got it fixed. It really makes a difference.
    Much appreciated mrumm49
    You are totally correct. I had a quick response from Asus UK. They will collect for free. Now waiting for the RMA reference number. Good to know your opinion. Chuckle. A free collection is the only advantage over our American cousins. You enjoy much cheaper prices on so many things! Thanks again. Best wishes. Vernon UK

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    I agree with 49. If you are keeping the dock, you should get this issue fixed. All they do is replace the chip set. A painless fix. When I sent mine in for the fix, my tablet was fine and they only requested the dock sent in.
    Thank you buzzman. Confirmed my thoughts that I only need to return the dock. Appreciate your reply also. Vernon UK

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Have to say, very impressed by Asus Customer service so far. RMA email arrived within hours, together with a copy of the instruction to the shipping agent to collect from me, next business day. Quite surprised at where the dock is going to - Czechoslovakia. Obviously the Service Centre for Western Europe.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    Hopefully you will get it back soon- within 2 weeks here in the US. Good luck.
    verntern likes this.
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    245 times
    Before you go through the pain of a RMA charge up the dock and see if does have the drain issue.

My dock fails the test but DOES NOT have the drain problem. Not sure why as it is B5O pad and dock.

Just a thought to save you some time and the cash to ship it to the repair canter.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links