Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Transformer overheating

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Transformer overheating

When I got my asus last year I noticed the plugin was getting very hot and the back of the tablet seemed overly hot as well. Now, many months later, was having an issue with the speakers. I called asus and they asked for the serial number off the side of the tablet. Well, had to take it out of the case that it had been in since the day I received it. Imagine my surprise when the entire side of the tablet was MELTED, yes melted. Never dropped, never even out of the house. Asus had a record (thank God) of my calling on three occasions stating the tablet seemed very hot and was having different issues with it. Had to sent it back to them so don't know the result yet but even through the case you could feel the heat when it charged. Anyone else have any problem like this?? You could actually see inside the casing!!

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Haven't heard of this before. What brand case were you using?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    13 times
    Can't believe you never smelled it burning? Mine hasn't gotten hot but the plug adapter gets warm. Hopefully they'll send you a new one!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Quote Originally Posted by patt View Post
    When I got my asus last year I noticed the plugin was getting very hot and the back of the tablet seemed overly hot as well.
    Were you the first one to get the Transformer? A beta model perhaps? I thought they didn't come out until about May 2011?

My Tablet stays cool as a cucumber, the wall plugin also stays cool as long as it is plugged in here at my house. However, I took a recent trip to Manila and plugging the wall wart into the 220 they have there, the wall wart got hot but never the Transformer. Sounds like your Transformer does have some problems and I hope Asus will take care of you. I dislike those stories of unsatisfactory repair. Good Luck! Keep us posted.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    It's possible he got a beta model. I have a friend whose uncle works for moto. A bunch of employees got a beta moto xoom for free and his uncle gave it to him. I played with it a few times. Man, that thing has a few hardware defects. And it gets surprising hot at times.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrumm49 View Post
    Were you the first one to get the Transformer? A beta model perhaps? I thought they didn't come out until about May 2011?

My Tablet stays cool as a cucumber, the wall plugin also stays cool as long as it is plugged in here at my house. However, I took a recent trip to Manila and plugging the wall wart into the 220 they have there, the wall wart got hot but never the Transformer. Sounds like your Transformer does have some problems and I hope Asus will take care of you. I dislike those stories of unsatisfactory repair. Good Luck! Keep us posted.
    NOt a beta and I never smelled a thing. I was using a roocase (leather) made specifically for the transformer. The side of the case was flat then came the bump where it melted and then flat again. Looked like a little wave. Have no idea why it would get so hot. I let the battery drain and it wasn't left plugged in for long periods of time. I was on the phone with asus when I found it. I was complaining about something else and when it came out of the case I was shocked to see the defect. Like I said, never dropped, treated with absolute care. I also have ipads, nook, pandigital and the HP so I know how to take care of them. I sent it back to asus so will be very interested to hear their response. I actually purchased it in May of this year, misspoke when I said last year. Good thing I had called them complaining about it getting really hot prior to this. Holding the asus with the plug in on the left side it was the lower left area that got hot. Don't know what that area contains but the other three quarters of the tablet always remained cool.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MaylonTRD View Post
    Can't believe you never smelled it burning? Mine hasn't gotten hot but the plug adapter gets warm. Hopefully they'll send you a new one!
    Same here wall plug gets warm but then again so does my ipad one and phone one and so on...so I think its no issue at all.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Patt, Just a thought. Here in the US when the wall wart gets plugged in upside down it causes the TF to vibrate, the wall wart itself gets very hot too. I don't know where you live but could that maybe have been a possibility? The Transformer plug was continually getting plugged in upside down and the TF maybe getting hot and the case just kept the heat in? I always try to plug mine in with the 'print' on the brick up. Just a theory. Hopefully. Asus will sort this out for you!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for all the suggestions, it was just so odd and unexpected that I had to dig into it a little. The ipad and the nook are both plugged into the same outlet (not on the same cord) and have never had a problem. Had to call asus about ten times so far for things I now think are related to its overheating. Have never had a problem with the roo cases but theres a certainly a first tie for everything.
    Last edited by buzzman; 10-21-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: removed item offered for sale

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrumm49 View Post

Voltage in Manila tends to fluctuate significantly depending on location and time of day.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links