Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Faulty Asus Transformer sent back for repair :(

I had my Asus Transformer Eee Pad for a few months before trying to plug in a memory stick. The Eee Pad did not 'find' the memory stick, or an external hard drive, or an SD reader. I spent hours fiddling, trying plugging it in before switching Eee Pad on - read the forum - tried again. Eventually gave up and went back to the store it came from. Told to do a factory recovery - did that - still no joy. Returned to store again, they tried my memory stick in the display Eee Pad - 'found' straight away. It was also found that the SD slot didn't work either. So did I get a replacement? No, I have had to let the store send it back to Asus, and it could be 3 weeks before I get it back. Surely the labour cost, and parts cost, to repair this will be more than the cost to Asus to replace the faulty one - and I would be much happier with Asus. Having to be without it for 3 weeks is a real pain.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Don't worry had to send mine back as the side bezel was creaking and moving, they said it would take 3 weeks. Wondered how i would manage, then a week later had a call it had been repaired and returned, all sorted and working now. So fingers crossed yours wont be away for too long either.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Given the uneven reliability... next time, test EVERYTHING within the first days of purchase. Best of luck with your replacement. Hope it comes soon.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for replies. I do hope I get mine back quickly too. You live and learn, I will test everything as soon as I have it back. The GPS never did work, and I forgot to mention that to Asus - I wasn't really bothered about that, but perhaps should have mentioned it. It 'found' me when I was at home with the WiFi on, but as soon as I was outside it just kept searching - unsuccessfully. Does anyone else's work?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    perhaps you should have checked everything before sending them back so they'll all get fixed.
    HTC Desire HD running on 2.3.3
    Asus EEE Pad Transformer with Keyoard Dock on 3.2.1
    Clone Quad Core Desktop (Win 7 64bit)/ Acer Aspire 4736 (Win7 32bit)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I was thinking of sending back my TF too but just for cleaning. Mine has a couple of tiny specks that sits on the center and inside the protective glass cover. I dont know how it got there and it bothers me. My worry is they might not put back my TF as is, so im having a second thought.

and another thing, any one here having problems with external port on keyboard dock ( usb, sdcard slot) not functioning after upgrade in 3.2.1? there are times my TF is not reading all the slots when i insert my portable storage in it. or is the problem on the dock itself?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Asus repair of keyboard issue, my experience

I recently had to send my TF back for repair because the keyboard dock communicates with the tablet for a short bit then stops.

My assessment of their repair cycle is as follows

Pros: fast, efficient, good communication (a turnaround of about a week)

Cons: failed to repair it the first time, failed to repair it the second time, and the second time it also came back scratched (it looks as if it was mended on a dirty workbench).

My advice, check it thoroughly and be aware that their repair centre isn't up to much.

When it works the TF is a great piece of kit but if you start to have problems with it expect to spend a lot of time dealing with them. This is a company with serious quality control issues.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rexluna View Post
    Asus repair of keyboard issue, my experience

I recently had to send my TF back for repair because the keyboard dock communicates with the tablet for a short bit then stops.
    One useful bit of information is to know which specific RMA site you sent the unit.

We've had excellent RMA result reports from the Grapevine, Texas and Europe (sites).

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Europe - was sent somewhere in the Czech Republic...

My view is that Asus should approve a method of rooting so that customers can do a full back up using whichever software Asus choose to select is up to scratch, so that if there are problems at least we don't have to spend ridiculous amounts of time on the reinstall each time. As it was, I didn't root mine because I didn't want to invalidate the warranty and subsequently I wasted many hours of my time on nearly a dozen factory resets and reinstalls, only to have a device that ultimately didn't work even after 2 repairs.

It is a shame, as this is the very first device that replaces the Psion 5mx, and that technology is a decade old now (mine is still working well). I'm not giving up on Asus, I'm now just much warier. And I'll probably wait until the TF2 is out and get one of those instead.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links