• 1 Post By lorsban

Thread: Why You Can't Compare iOs to Android

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Why You Can't Compare iOs to Android

Hey guys,

After reading a bunch of comparisons and many many heated debates, I've come to the very obvious conclusion that you simply cannot compare the two operating systems. They follow such contrasting philosophies that they're almost practically made for a different audience.

For example, I definitey see a whole lot more tweakers on Android than I do with iOS. And that's because Android is based on Linux, which is an Open OS that you can make your own in every concievable way. But, in order to get it to that state, you need A LOT of tweaking. Finding the right ad-on and setting it up so it plays nice with everything else. It's a constant improvement thing that evolves along with the user's needs. But, once setup, there's nothing out there that's better because you have the setup that works perfectly for you in particular, not anyone else. Functions? It's got functions up the wazoo! File sharing, torrent downloads, total video/audio codec support, dozens of email/keyboard/browser/launcher/system/office doc options available. USB/SD support, countless of configurations available from many manufacturers etc...In three words: Options, Options, Options.

With iOS, everything is setup out of the box to work with utmost ease and simplicity. That's why iOS'es biggest boast is that they can be used by people of ALL ages and it's true. Now, in order to give that sort of seamless functionality and performance, Apple has gone and taken out a lot of factors which can make things difficult. Such as; multitasking, open file sharing, "questionable" app availability, side loading, multi-sync, flash etc...BUT, what Apple did do is allow their i-devices to do what it can do extremely well and they've partnered up with key developers and peripheral manufacturers to make the whole "Apple experience" all the more better. Seriously, Apple has ALL the toys! Speakers, music interfaces, top grade multi-track recording software, hot games (although Android is catching up), all sorts of nice cases and sleeves etc...I mean, just walk into an Apple store and you can't help but go "WOW! I wish my android device had this much stuff." Hell, it's practically standard now for cars to have an i-device plug so you can plug and play your i-gadget via your car's sytem! Only thing missing is girls start flashing you their breasts just for walking around with some sort of i-device at the mall. Simply put, Apple's ease, convenience and peripheral support cannot be matched.

So, if you have a specific need (or needs) that the iOS supports, and don't intend to do much else, look no further than Apple. But, if you find your needs evolving and you need a flexible system to evolve with you, then Android is the way to go. In other words, there really is no comparison. They fit different core audiences and that's why things get so personal. When we discuss features, we're not only discussing minor details but actual working philosophies that hit die-hard fans right to the core. In other words, it's all a matter of preference, NOT whether one is better than the other. Because they're both good at what they do since they satisfy the needs of their core audience. If the person isn't happy, it's because they bought the wrong thing For Them.

So, lets all live and let live. In the end, these are all just gadgets which we're gonna throw away or forget about when the next big thing arrives anyway. lol

Cheers!

lorsban
    solara and Diain like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well said

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Actually, compare/contrast, isn't that exactly what OP did above -- and an excellent write up no less?

I think it's valid to compare / contrast the two. Both are operating systems sharing the same objective of getting a glass panel + circuit board to do some fun / useful stuff. And it is fascinating to see these two very different approaches compete against each other on the market. Competition is often a good thing.
    Last edited by Ben2World; 10-08-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    51 times
    Another interesting thing is the implementation of internal flash. iDevice uses raw nand, Android devices use eMMC. raw nand is faster when reading, but more sluggish when writing (use CPU for polling instead of the internal MMC controller.) On Android devices, you can download in the background no problem because the mmc controller off-load the polling job from the CPU. Doing so on iDevice would be awful, but since there no multitasking on iDevice, the drawback of using the cpu for polling is well hidden. Everybody just says "wow, how smooth is iOS!". You have to tip the hat to Apple, very clever.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Apple is like those big hotel buffet, lots of food selections. Android is a smaller buffet currently but with the option to order from the ala carte menu or even customizing my own dish. So its a matter of taste. Personally, I prefer to be adventurous when choosing my food.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
    Hey guys,

After reading a bunch of comparisons and many many heated debates, I've come to the very obvious conclusion that you simply cannot compare the two operating systems. They follow such contrasting philosophies that they're almost practically made for a different audience.

For example, I definitey see a whole lot more tweakers on Android than I do with iOS. And that's because Android is based on Linux, which is an Open OS that you can make your own in every concievable way. But, in order to get it to that state, you need A LOT of tweaking. Finding the right ad-on and setting it up so it plays nice with everything else. It's a constant improvement thing that evolves along with the user's needs. But, once setup, there's nothing out there that's better because you have the setup that works perfectly for you in particular, not anyone else. Functions? It's got functions up the wazoo! File sharing, torrent downloads, total video/audio codec support, dozens of email/keyboard/browser/launcher/system/office doc options available. USB/SD support, countless of configurations available from many manufacturers etc...In three words: Options, Options, Options.

With iOS, everything is setup out of the box to work with utmost ease and simplicity. That's why iOS'es biggest boast is that they can be used by people of ALL ages and it's true. Now, in order to give that sort of seamless functionality and performance, Apple has gone and taken out a lot of factors which can make things difficult. Such as; multitasking, open file sharing, "questionable" app availability, side loading, multi-sync, flash etc...BUT, what Apple did do is allow their i-devices to do what it can do extremely well and they've partnered up with key developers and peripheral manufacturers to make the whole "Apple experience" all the more better. Seriously, Apple has ALL the toys! Speakers, music interfaces, top grade multi-track recording software, hot games (although Android is catching up), all sorts of nice cases and sleeves etc...I mean, just walk into an Apple store and you can't help but go "WOW! I wish my android device had this much stuff." Hell, it's practically standard now for cars to have an i-device plug so you can plug and play your i-gadget via your car's sytem! Only thing missing is girls start flashing you their breasts just for walking around with some sort of i-device at the mall. Simply put, Apple's ease, convenience and peripheral support cannot be matched.

So, if you have a specific need (or needs) that the iOS supports, and don't intend to do much else, look no further than Apple. But, if you find your needs evolving and you need a flexible system to evolve with you, then Android is the way to go. In other words, there really is no comparison. They fit different core audiences and that's why things get so personal. When we discuss features, we're not only discussing minor details but actual working philosophies that hit die-hard fans right to the core. In other words, it's all a matter of preference, NOT whether one is better than the other. Because they're both good at what they do since they satisfy the needs of their core audience. If the person isn't happy, it's because they bought the wrong thing For Them.

So, lets all live and let live. In the end, these are all just gadgets which we're gonna throw away or forget about when the next big thing arrives anyway. lol

Cheers!

lorsban
    I agree with your core statements. They *are* for different audiences. Interestingly, I find I like my iPhone 4 better now than before I got my Transformer, becuase I've offloaded a lot of tasks to the Transformer that I was getting frustrated with on the iPhone.

That having been said, as to taking sides and arguing and such, I think part of that is just the Internet. People who take the time to post on message boards (about any topic) tend to have a lot to say, and the anonymity that is provided tends to make them comfortable saying it (whatever it is).

I've witnessed wars between Android and iOS fans, between fans of different versions of RPGs (3E vs. 4E), between parents arguing about whether or not it's ok to let a baby cry it out, whether or not hits to the head should be allowed in hockey, and any number of other topics. I think a certain segment of people just like to argue

PAB5204

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Yup, competition is good. Without Apple raising the bar, smartphones would likely not be where they're at today.

And there's nothing wrong with it. One thing I don't understand is why people get so bent out of shape about the whole copying thing. I mean....EVERYONE copies. In all kinds of industries, not just IT. Can you imagine if Ford had patented the car, or the wheel or steering wheel or something like that? My brother's an automotive engineer, and my understanding of patent law (as he explained it) is that you *can* copy.....as long as you improve on what you've copied. That's how it works in automobiles, anyways. Is it not the same way in IT?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB5204 View Post
    One thing I don't understand is why people get so bent out of shape about the whole copying thing.
    Some view it as 'cheating'. But you are right, there is plenty of sin to spread around.
    Last edited by Ben2World; 10-08-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    Apple is like those big hotel buffet, lots of food selections. Android is a smaller buffet currently but with the option to order from the ala carte menu or even customizing my own dish. So its a matter of taste. Personally, I prefer to be adventurous when choosing my food.
    Yeah, I like this analogy.
    filo007 likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links