Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Extended warranties aren't necessary imo. Salespeople push those hard for commission, not because the products they're selling are crap, I mean, if the product was so bad, why sell it right?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Always best to see what each type of warranties cover, take the time to go over scenarios and even possibilities of taking advantage as a consumer. In this case though, sounds like you made the right choice in not taking anything.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've got the extended warranty +1 year insurance against theft or damage. Paid quite a bit more but in a year time my transformer may accidentally be stolen or damaged in a nor recoverable way ahahahaha

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    14 times
    With all the money you save by not buying those extended warranties you can afford to fix or replace the stuff that actually breaks.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
    Extended warranties aren't necessary imo. Salespeople push those hard for commission, not because the products they're selling are crap, I mean, if the product was so bad, why sell it right?
    Wrong!

Market economy means that you sell at a price customer is convinced to pay - it has nothing to do with quality of the product or how useful the product is. As a buyer if you are willing to pay x amount, then a seller would sell it to you at that price as long as the seller is making a profit. As a buyer if you are foolish enough to buy something useless, then it is your fault. That is capitalism.

For example:
    Perceived success of iPad does not mean that the product is actually good - it is just that the product is perceived to be good, the manufacturer and seller have both convinced the buyers that it is a product worth having at the price it is offered while both the manufacturer and seller continue to make a profit.

It is up to the customer to decide whether a product is good or bad. If there are no buyers for a product, the product would have failed in the market simply because people did not buy it - not necessarily because the product did not work.
    Last edited by vlbaindoor; 09-25-2011 at 11:12 AM.
    VLBaindoor

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    58 times
    I was able to purchase my 32 GB Transformer from Costco.com They double the warranty....free...and offer a 90 day return policy. Use your AmEx card and they add even another another year! Downside is that it looks like Costco doesn't offer the Transformer anymore. Or they can't get stock. Or they depleted their inventory and are awaiting delivery of the Transformer 2. I like the last scenario the most....but it is probably the least likely. No, I do not work for Costco. However in a previous career I did sell consumer electronics and we were encouraged (with a spiff...cash) to sell extended warranties. They are pure profit for Best Buy et al. Money sits in escrow account, collects interest, eventually rolls into operating capital - wow what a deal. Pay outs are minimal and are frequently covered by the manufacturer not the retailer.

32GB Asus Infinity w. Amethyst keyboard
    32GB Asus Champagne Prime - gone
    64GB Asus Champagne Prime - gone
    32GB Asus Transformer B60 - gone

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Consumer reports noted that these 'extended warranties' are nothing more than a money maker. Less than 2% of extended warranties actually are needed. I personally have in the past, purchased extended warranties and NEVER had to use one. They probably snickered as I was leaving their store.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    68 times
    Always protect your investment just in case, that is the smart thing to do! I think best buy has best warranty since you will be able to just take it back to them vs having to mail it out. Also if you get a device that keep messing up after third time the lemon law applies and you could end up with newer version in exchange a year or two from now for virtually free.m

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Torresjoe77 View Post
    Always protect your investment just in case, that is the smart thing to do! I think best buy has best warranty since you will be able to just take it back to them vs having to mail it out. Also if you get a device that keep messing up after third time the lemon law applies and you could end up with newer version in exchange a year or two from now for virtually free.m
    [SARCASM MODE]May be you could add the marketing paragraph from Best Buy to your message as well.[/SARCASM MODE]

I have found that many times the amount of money you end up paying if nothing happens to your device during the entire extended warranty period, you could actually buy a new device itself - and many times you get a better version, better hardware etc. This is mainly because you have to pay for the warranty on a monthly basis and over the period of extended warranty you end up paying almost the price of the item itself.

I bought my TF from Best Buy - but I did not find it worthwhile to buy the extended warranty. I don't have anything against Best Buy or any similar dealers - but many of these companies seem to depend quite a lot on these extended warranties for their profit margins.
    VLBaindoor

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    139 times
    Hmm....I faced the *exact* same issue with Staples. I bought it with no plan, and 14 days after the purchase, I had to decide whether or not to put a product protection plan on it.

I *did* have to take mine back due to a flaw in the screen (chip in the glass, on the inside), and decided to get the warranty.

I'm having buyers remorse about the warranty, but that's unfortunately the decision to be made...take the risk or not. They say they'll replace the battery if it goes below 60% efficiency in 3 years.....but there are all kinds of riders and conditions, and I'm fairly certain I'll be screwed if I ever need to depend on it. They claim they've got parts to repair the device if needed, and they only replace it if they no longer have parts.

What you have to remember is that extended warranty plans are, by and large, profit centers for the stores. Most sell products at cut rate prices, and they make their money by selling accessories, which tend to be high markup....and extended warranties are just a very expensive markup item. For *most* customers, that $100 warranty is pure profit, because due to either your warranty expiring, or the product not failing, most customers don't end up making claims on those warranties.

The manufacturers have accountants devoted to figuring out cost/benefit ratios. They offer the plans at a rate that they guarantee themselves additional revenue, and they carefully measure product failure rates. They *know* how much they'll likely need to spend on repairs for customers. If they weren't making a profit on the plans, they wouldn't offer them. My brother used to be an automotive engineer, but saw the writing on the wall and got out right before the collapse in Detroit....but he's mentioned they have entire teams of accountants measuring the best profit margins for these plans.

That having been said, tablets are fairly new (yes, I know the iPad wasn't the first, and that there have been tablets around for like 10 years....but they're still somewhat of a specialty item, and the Android tablets themselves are new).

In all the years I've been buying products I've bought a fair number of plans. Realistically, I've only needed to actually depend on plans three times, and the store only honoured two of the warranties. For the other, they kept claiming they couldn't replicate the problem, and refused to do anything to fix it. If I add up the cost of all the extended warranties I've purchased (and not needed), I could probably buy a 3D TV.

PAB5204

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads