Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Need help before I buy a tablet - what can I do on it?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Need help before I buy a tablet - what can I do on it?

Hi there! I love the forum. It has been very handy in trying to work out the things I can and cannot do if I get what I currently have my eye on - the Asus Transformer (32gb with Keyboard docking). I've not used Android before, just iOS on the phone and not particularly happy with it. Mainly because of iTunes, and just how constricted it is.

1. There are a couple of things that I would like to know if I could do:
    2. The Transformer doesn't have 3G, so is there a way to access documents, be they from DropBox (preferable) or Google Docs while offline?
    3. Can I use some kind of file manager to access files? I have all my music/videos organised by folder, rather than ID3 tag.
    4. Back to DropBox - I have video lectures up there. Any way I could temporarily save them to the tablet?
    5. I love my Google Chrome, how everything just syncs (bookmarks, history, saved passwords) - is this information capable of being shared with the tablet?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance

- Chramesly

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    you can save data locally which i know was a serious flaw with the chromebooks. Dropbox, and several other apps are available and while idont use dropbox i cant see why you wouldnt be able to access thedata..
    Google+ is supposed to help sync stuff acrossdroid devices like pictures and such. (Using your google account)or so i was told.
    Theres a bunch offile manager apps. All equally good.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    Get an ipad 2.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Get an ipad 2.
    Lol
    If you dont mind supporting the emperor.

:-P

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2811 times
    Don't listen to goodintentions, he may not really have good intentions.

You can definitely save your music in the folders it is organized in on the TF. The file manager is the best part.

Using the stock browser, it will sync to your chrome bookmarks. It does not sync passwords or history from my experience, but the bookmarks are the important thing for me.

Dropbox - you can save any files while you are online and they are saved in the /Dropbox/ folder on the internal memory.
    Chramesly likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks very much for the reply alaskan. That does help assuage some of my qualms.

Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Get an ipad 2.
    I've been hearing this as well - why should I get it over the Transformer? Keep in mind, the attachable keyboard and sync with google is a big thing for me (I use my Google account profusely while on the PC).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Don't listen to goodintentions, he may not really have good intentions.

You can definitely save your music in the folders it is organized in on the TF. The file manager is the best part.

Using the stock browser, it will sync to your chrome bookmarks. It does not sync passwords or history from my experience, but the bookmarks are the important thing for me.

Dropbox - you can save any files while you are online and they are saved in the /Dropbox/ folder on the internal memory.

Thank you very much! That is amazing. As you have the MacBook and the iPhone 4 - why did you choose the Transformer over the iPad? Such seems a natural progression from the rest of the stuff you have

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    718 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chramesly View Post
    Thank you very much! That is amazing. As you have the MacBook and the iPhone 4 - why did you choose the Transformer over the iPad? Such seems a natural progression from the rest of the stuff you have
    Pssst, Just between you and me. There's an iPad2 at his house. His wife grabbed it! But don't tell Fred I told you!
    Frederuco and Chramesly like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrumm49 View Post
    Pssst, Just between you and me. There's an iPad2 at his house. His wife grabbed it! But don't tell Fred I told you!
    Haha, then he would be in a greater position to help me! I have a friend with an iPad 2 that is trying to get me to get one. I can't put my finger on exactly /why/ I want an Android, and this Transformer, so much - but I have a strong feeling that I do!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2811 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chramesly View Post
    My wife has an iPad 2, and she loves it. My first task if I got an iPad would be to jailbreak it to allow myself to do more. IMO, the iPad is pretty much a giant phone (with a few extra features).

The ability to NEVER have to tether to software (like iTunes), Adobe Flash capabilities, multiple video codec support, file manager, network streaming of media, 720p widescreen support, keyboard dock with extra battery, USB support, expandable memory, and the Cool factor when taking the screen off of my alleged netbook. Oh, and it is $100 cheaper.

I did a LOT of research for what I wanted in a tablet, and the iPad just did not cut it. I look at my TF and what I can do, and I would have regretted getting an iPad knowing the capabilities of Honeycomb. I also love that I can truly customize my home screens instead of having "folders" that just have mini icons of the apps in the folders. Also love the idea of the app drawer so I can have an app installed and it does not have to clutter up my home screen, or even a folder on my home screen. If I use it once a month, in the app drawer it stays.

EDIT: Here is a picture of my current home screen:
    Last edited by Frederuco; 09-14-2011 at 11:53 PM.
    Chramesly likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads