Thread: Netflix not HD

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Netflix not HD

Seems to me as if the netflix app is not optimized at all for the larger screen of the tablet. Most of the movies I have tried to watch have had pretty dismal resolution... anyone else notice this as well?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    I can't say that I've noticed any difference in watching it thru my ipad as compared as thru my Wii. I've just been so thrilled to finally get it!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I have notice that movies start very low in resolution, even pixelated, but as it plays it gets clearer and clearer, up to the point that it looks quite good. Takes less than a minute. I think that the default is for low bandwidth connections and it improves as it plays. Also remember, how sharp it gets ultimately is totally dependent on your WiFi speed.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    I read this in another thread so there maybe a fix coming at some point. It seems that the NetFlix app still isn't totally right for tablets. I wonder is there is any difference when you try to watch something from the NetFlix website?

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...1-netflix.html
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonpaq View Post
    I have notice that movies start very low in resolution, even pixelated, but as it plays it gets clearer and clearer, up to the point that it looks quite good. Takes less than a minute. I think that the default is for low bandwidth connections and it improves as it plays. Also remember, how sharp it gets ultimately is totally dependent on your WiFi speed.
    I can attest to this...

The image quality isn't as good as it is accessing an identical movie via my PS3 and Netflix. I can watch the *exact* same movie, and the picture quality is WAY better with the PS3.

That having been said, I can also say that the picture quality on my Transformer is much better when I connect to my home network (a blazing fast 4.33 Mbps!! <g>), than when I connect to my work network (0.89 Mbps share of a T1).

Unfortunately where I live, ADSL doesn't get faster than 4.33 Mbps, and if I want cable, I *can* get faster, but my fees will triple, and bandwidth cap will be cut in half.

On the work network, the movie quality is pretty poor. At home, it's better, and frankly not bad...but nowhere near what it's like for my PS3.

The fact that it's comparable to the iPad doesn't mean a lot (I think), as the iPad is lower resolution.

PAB5204

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    I tried watching a few movies, including the new Star Trek one, on my PS3, on my PC, and on my Transformer, and my Transformer had the least clear image of all of them. When I can see the *pores* in the actors skin on my PS3, but looking at the same scene on my Transformer, the image is relatively clean, but their skin is just a pool of pink, then I don' think I'm getting the same quality video feed.

I haven't tried streaming from my Transformer to my TV to see what would happen then. It would be interesting to see how the picture compares then.

The picture isn't *bad* on the Transformer....it's just not as good as looking at the same film via my PS3 or PC. And it's *not* the fact that the PS3 has upscaling, because if I use my Transformer, and go to Youtube, and type in 1080p, I'll get a bunch of 1080p trailers. If I play one of those trailers on the Transformer, the image is *tack sharp*. Try doing this with the Transformers: Dark of the Moon trailer, for instance. It's like 3x as good a resolution as HD movies coming via the Netflix app....even when the exact same Netflix movie is later watched via PS3 or whatever.

AFAIK, Netflix has never actually added a Netflix app for tablets to the Android Market. Everyone on these boards seems to get it from 3rd party webpages where I think it's version 1.3 which is a hack or something. If I understand correctly, I think Android 3.2 and the latest Transformer patch allow Honeycomb tablets to *run* Netflix......but Netflix hasn't provided an app yet. Instead, members of the community have hacked the phone app to allow it to work, given the new support at the OS and patch level.

I'm not a programmer, so this is my layman's guess as to what is going on.

If this is correct, we likely won't see it corrected until Netflix releases an official version of the app. Until then, I bet we're getting streamed copies of movies that have been optimized for playback on phones.

PAB5204

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    NetFlix did release an app for a few days before pulling it from the Market and in the thread I linked above it appears that even if you sideload their app that it is made for a phone size screen so on tablets it just isn't what it should be. I got the app from the Market and it seems ok to me. I'll ask again does it matter on your Transformers, is there a difference between using the app and using the website?
    Current Devices:

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    All that I can say is that no, it is not full HD, or even 720p, but it is still quite watchable. Here are some screen captures from a movie I was watching today:

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    I'll ask again does it matter on your Transformers, is there a difference between using the app and using the website?
    Yes, it's different. I can still see the movie...but its not 720p or close to it.

PAB5204

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    same thing here. It is ok, but not hd quality like I get on my computers or xbox 360 and my wifi enabled tv. Still I am happy to have netfilx just the same.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links