Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HOT plug!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question HOT plug!!

I have noticed that my plug that goes into the wall socket gets really warm when charging! Anyone else notice this? Is it normal?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    Hi ellis and yes, my plug gets hot when charging. However, when it's done charging, it cools off. I have read different degrees of heat reported. When I used an extension cord(electrical) my power brick got scary hot. Switched to a regular outlet- still gets hot- but not nearly as bad. Also, you might notice a tingle if you run your finger on the metal bezel. If you have this, turn the plug in the outlet and that might help too. Something to do with polarity and grounding.
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    My B5O got too hot to touch when charging. The replacement B7O still gets extremely warm to the touch, but not as bad as the older one.

Just be sure it has ventilation. If it is plugged into the wall, it will be well ventilated. If plugging into an extension cord, be sure it does not get covered by anything or it could possilby cause some issues with overheating.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    I continually read this about the power supply getting hot. Am I just lucky or have good wiring in the house or what? I have never felt ANY heat whatsoever from the power brick. I always plug it it in with the Asus writing on the top, never reversed it. And it charges faithfully everytime and cool to the touch.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanx everyone! It is NOT too hot to touch just extremely warm!! I will try reversing the plug!

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    Hi ellis and yes, my plug gets hot when charging. However, when it's done charging, it cools off. I have read different degrees of heat reported. When I used an extension cord(electrical) my power brick got scary hot. Switched to a regular outlet- still gets hot- but not nearly as bad. Also, you might notice a tingle if you run your finger on the metal bezel. If you have this, turn the plug in the outlet and that might help too. Something to do with polarity and grounding.
    The charger gets quite warm because it would be supplying 15 V at 1 or 1.5 Amp into the battery - to charge it as quickly as possible.
    It would get quite very warm as the charging is going on and then as the charging completes it gets less warm as the power supplied from that small charger would reduce.

As for trying to turn the plug, that is not possible when in some countries. For example for us here in UK, we are supplied with this three pin plug end that goes into the power socket on the wall - though one of the pins is actually plastic. The power sockets in UK have to have an earth connection as per British standards and unless a pin is plugged into the earth pin the other two power pins would not be accessible - so every plug pin here in UK has to have three pins - whether or not the third earthing pin is used for earthing or not. This means you can not turn the plug the other way at all.

Other countries would have other similar safety features and I am sure Asus would have taken care of them. The problem is mostly with those that have just two pins - these can be plugged in either way and hence you would have to take care of it properly.
    VLBaindoor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    As some may have seen, from an earlier posting by myself, I have rigged a small computer fan held onto my power supply .
    It is attached with two elastic bands and powered by a 12 volt supply I used four self tapping screws on the fan to allow the bands to fitand then attach the fan to the charger.

This does therefore not mark the charger at all and wont effect the guarantee .

This fan , charger and fan supply are all fitted onto a double 13 amp adaptor , and as a result the blow of air keeps my charger quite cold even when batteries are really low and need longish charge time.
    I know this is not everyone's ideal solution, but it does work, and I feel sure allows my charger to work without the risk of running hot all the time .

I hope this helps and could prevent charger failure for a few of you , I feel sure folks o/s Uk can adapt this idea to suit there own sockets so good luck.

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vlbaindoor View Post
    The charger gets quite warm because it would be supplying 15 V at 1 or 1.5 Amp into the battery - to charge it as quickly as possible.
    It would get quite very warm as the charging is going on and then as the charging completes it gets less warm as the power supplied from that small charger would reduce.

As for trying to turn the plug, that is not possible when in some countries. For example for us here in UK, we are supplied with this three pin plug end that goes into the power socket on the wall - though one of the pins is actually plastic. The power sockets in UK have to have an earth connection as per British standards and unless a pin is plugged into the earth pin the other two power pins would not be accessible - so every plug pin here in UK has to have three pins - whether or not the third earthing pin is used for earthing or not. This means you can not turn the plug the other way at all.

Other countries would have other similar safety features and I am sure Asus would have taken care of them. The problem is mostly with those that have just two pins - these can be plugged in either way and hence you would have to take care of it properly.
    Interesting that yours has 3 prongs. Here we have a 3 prong system same as the US only it runs 220/240A. Here the Asus power supply has 2 prongs. I wonder why they are shipping different versions as they are all 110/240

BTW, mine runs warm when charging... not hot
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 09-06-2011 at 04:06 AM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Interesting that yours has 3 prongs. Here we have a 3 prong system same as the US only it runs 220/240A. Here the Asus power supply has 2 prongs. I wonder why they are shipping different versions as they are all 110/240
    BTW, mine runs warm when charging... not hot
    AFAIK, in the UK it is illegal to sell anything which does not comply with British Standards especially for electrical equipment. Similarly it may be illegal in other countries as well - so Asus (and every other manufacturer) are forced to ship country specific version in countries that are 'strict'.
    VLBaindoor

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vlbaindoor View Post
    AFAIK, in the UK it is illegal to sell anything which does not comply with British Standards especially for electrical equipment. Similarly it may be illegal in other countries as well - so Asus (and every other manufacturer) are forced to ship country specific version in countries that are 'strict'.
    Here in the US we have polarized plugs on mostly all new appliances and electrical gadgets. One prong is fat and one is smaller. It can only go into an outlet one way. Asus made their brick with 2 prongs of equal size, therefore it can go into the wall either way. A lot of us have found that one way will cause a small perceptible tingle on the metal case if a finger in run down the metal. If you turn the plug it goes away. It also has an effect on the heating up of the brick too. The non tingle way produces less heat build up, at least in mine. So I try to plug it in so there is no tingle.

49- you did luck out!!!
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links