Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

TF & dock battery log

Hi all,

With all this talk about the dock loosing its charge and noticing it myself, I started a log on TF usage and battery. Started at 6am yesterday with a full charge in both. The TF stayed docked and turned on the whole time. From 6am to 5pm, the TF was on plane mode (I don't have wifi at work anyways) and the rest of the time wifi was activated. No special program was activated or deactivated. regular programs ran in background (email, splashtop, mynet, maps...) Here is the summary of the log:

6am to 5pm - about 1 hour and a half of use (moving icons and widgets, using catch notes, polaris and took 2 pictures), rest of the time the TF was in sleep mode. All the time in plane mode.

5pm to 10:30pm - Wifi activated, used continuously for 3 hours trying out Springpad, emails, tapatalk, watching a flash movie for 45 min.

10:30pm to 6:30am - Sleep mode with wi-fi activated.
    6:30am - light is flashing and TF at 96%.

So, in 24 hours, the TF was:

Sleep + no-wifi = 9.5 hours
    Sleep + wifi = 10.5 hours
    Use + no-wifi = 1.5 hours
    Use + wifi = 3 hours

The dock battery lasted for 24 hours with the TF never being shut down. This is with 4 or 5 hours of use. If we extrapolate, the dock+TF battery could last 48 hours with the TF turned on all the time and 8 to 10 hours of email/navigation use.

This is about 4% discharge per hour. Which I think is a lot since most of it was in sleep mode. Not very impressed with these results. Thoughts?

My feeling is that the dock IS discharging more than it should be. I undocked the TF with 92% of battery charge and will keep logging.

Tell me if you want me to keep posting these kinds of logs.

JoŽl.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm definitely interested in these results as they're much more real world than manufacture tests etc. I think to get the full Asus+dock 16hrs would need to be very specific settings and usage.

As an example I was travelling for work the other day so I had a total 6 hrs of train travel. I had a fully charged TF+dock. I had my phone setup as a wifi hotspot and basically used the TF for about 80% of the 6hr train journey. On the way back I had the phone plugged into the dock to charge as well. By the time I got home I still had maybe 70% battery life left for browsing at home etc. which I did.

I'd be happy with 8 to 10 hrs of normal usage with wifi for sure, sounds about right to me. Just as a reference, the same journey, my old laptop would normally last about 2.5 - 3hrs.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Well on the ASUS website they stated that the 8 hours of battery was calculated while running 720p video. Yesterday I was down to 24% and the notification bar stated 47 hours since last charge. I had not docked it into the dock yet. I had used it for maybe 4 to 5 hours.

Sent from my Transformer TF101-B1 using Tapatalk

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jojobou View Post
    Hi all,

With all this talk about the dock loosing its charge and noticing it myself, I started a log on TF usage and battery. Started at 6am yesterday with a full charge in both. The TF stayed docked and turned on the whole time. From 6am to 5pm, the TF was on plane mode (I don't have wifi at work anyways) and the rest of the time wifi was activated. No special program was activated or deactivated. regular programs ran in background (email, splashtop, mynet, maps...) Here is the summary of the log:

6am to 5pm - about 1 hour and a half of use (moving icons and widgets, using catch notes, polaris and took 2 pictures), rest of the time the TF was in sleep mode. All the time in plane mode.

5pm to 10:30pm - Wifi activated, used continuously for 3 hours trying out Springpad, emails, tapatalk, watching a flash movie for 45 min.

10:30pm to 6:30am - Sleep mode with wi-fi activated.
    6:30am - light is flashing and TF at 96%.

So, in 24 hours, the TF was:

Sleep + no-wifi = 9.5 hours
    Sleep + wifi = 10.5 hours
    Use + no-wifi = 1.5 hours
    Use + wifi = 3 hours

The dock battery lasted for 24 hours with the TF never being shut down. This is with 4 or 5 hours of use. If we extrapolate, the dock+TF battery could last 48 hours with the TF turned on all the time and 8 to 10 hours of email/navigation use.

This is about 4% discharge per hour. Which I think is a lot since most of it was in sleep mode. Not very impressed with these results. Thoughts?

My feeling is that the dock IS discharging more than it should be. I undocked the TF with 92% of battery charge and will keep logging.

Tell me if you want me to keep posting these kinds of logs.

JoŽl.
    As I suspected, the dock battery gives half the battery life than the tablet itself. I repeated the same usage as above. Only difference is that I started with 91% yesterday morning. This morning I still have 53% battery life left in the TF. As you will recall, the day before, the dock battery was completely depleated meaning we would get twice the battery life from the tf compared to the dock.

I read somewhere that Asus was aware of this dock issue. Looking forward to 3.1 ;-)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, I've noticed that with the dock, my tablet drains substantially faster than when it's sitting in "sleep" mode. I hope an update fixes this. The whole sell of the dock is extended battery life, not shorter.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I was under the impression that the Dock simply served to recharge the tablet. In other words if you have the tablet on the dock, all the power used would be coming from the keyboard until it was used up, at which time the tablet's battery would start running down.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Yeah that was my understanding also. I don't think it's supposed to double your life.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Thumbs up

Hiya,

I have been very dissapointed in the TF Dock battery life. I have noticed that, even with the tablet turned OFF completely (not in sleep mode) and attached to the dock (closed), the dock will continue to lose its charge, and then drain my transformers battery!

As a test, I left my transformer and dock off and closed, and the battery life of my transformer went down from 81% to 71% in about 10 hours! This would be acceptable if it was on standby, but I don't expect my transformers battery to be drained when it's not even turned on!

This drain is despite the newest firmware updates (3.1 android, the 209 dock version). Given my usage pattern (not very frequent), this results in my transformer having LESS battery life with the dock attached; the exact opposite of what I had hoped for.

Do others experience a similar issue, or should I return my dock? I heard that ASUS were aware of these issues, but I'm not sure whether their response to that was the 209 update (which fixed nothing for me).

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    91 times
    I use the dock a lot, and have seen no such issues.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi today i had a fully charged TF and dock. I played an avi movie constantly with mobo player on TF. I did some v light browsing 30min max and got just 7hrs. I then connected it to dock which charged it to about 75%. Whilst it was charging i did some browsing for around 20 min. I reckon i would now get another 4.5 hrs constant movie play time. This makes a total of around 11.5hrs movie play with around about an hr web browsing included. Hope this helps someone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links