Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    This thread over at XDAdevelopers forum is interesting:

DIY TF101 charger and other charging methods - xda-developers

In it, it says that this universal charger works:

Dynex™ - Universal AC/DC Charger for Cameras and Camcorders - DX-UA
    Thanks for the heads-up on the xda-developers thread. I will read it thoroughtly later today.

The Dynex charger may not work if the OP of the xda-developers thread is correct. He indicates that "Its all about voltage. Any AC to DC adapter that supplies at least 11 Volts..." The max voltage that the Dynex puts out is 9.5 volts.

Thanks again.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    I have a Dynex DX-UA charging a transformer and dock right now. I haven't put a meter on it, but it has an 11 volt @ 1.5 amp setting. It's working, albeit a bit slower then the OEM charger which died after 5 days.
    rodparkerrees likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am going away from civilization for 2 weeks, and I have been experimenting on how to keep my Transformer charged. Here's what I found.

1. The Transformer needs somewhere around 11 volts DC (VDC) to charge at all. The ASUS charger puts out 15 VDC; all standard USBs are 5 VDC. The Transformer will not charge slowly below 11 VDC. It will not charge at all.

2. I made a DIY adapter from a car "cigarette lighter" male plug and a standard USB cable (not the factory-supplied charging cable). I cut open the USB cable and found 5 wires. After finding what went where, I wired the red and black from the USB to the male plug, so the USB puts out whatever voltage comes into the male plug.

3. My DIY adapter will charge my Transformer in my car (use the ASUS USB cable to connect the DIY in the car's cigarette lighter socket to the Transformer).

4. I tried a goal0 guide10 solar charger, which puts out 12 VDC, with my DIY. It would not charge the Transformer at all.

5. I tried a bigger goal0 sherpa solar charger with my DIY, and it charges my Transformer just fine. I suspect the smaller solar charger's VDC dropped under load to a level too low for the Transformer, but I did not measure it.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    tom29928, I love the idea of morphing a USB and a cigarette lighter to make a car charger. I may go that route. <inserts "applause" icon>

However, as DC is polarity conscious, and any other USB lead may not have red and black, could you advise "what went where" on your lead - and what should go where on any other home made lead?

REMINDER!! If anybody else is doing this, use a standard USB lead and make an "extension cord", don't cut the USB plug off the end of the ASUS power lead.

<<edit: I may cut the end off my iPhoney charger once I get my Android phone. Just for spite, y'know. >>
    Plain old TF101 (32Gb SD card)
    HTC Inspire
    =^..^=

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    My battery was dead and I plugged the transformer into a USB port to see what would happen. Two hours later, it was at 6%. That is extremely slow, but it was charging.

Since I didn't want to wait another 30+ hours for a full charge, I plugged into the ASUS charger.
    Last edited by Airedale; 06-30-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    (Reply)

The "standard" USB cable I cut in half was actually a USB extension cable (male to female).

First, I plugged the ASUS charger brick into 110 VAC, and plugged the male half of the cut USB cable into the ASUS charger. I found that the 15 VDC was on the red (+) and black (-) wires of my cut cable. I did not look at the other 3 wires. They were not red or black, and after finding the ones I needed I cut off the other three. I soldered these to the male lighter plug, filled the lighter plug shell with sealant, and wrapped it up with tape.

Before plugging it into my Transformer, I plugged the DIY into the car's cigarette lighter, then plugged the male USB on the DIY into the female on the cut USB cable, and confirmed 12 VDC was on red and black.

The wires in the cut cable were very tiny, so my next version will use a "heavy duty" usb extension cord that I recently found online. I'll also use a higher quality "cigarette lighter" male plug that has an internal fuse, although I'm pretty sure that the tiny wires would burn before doing any harm to the car.

I expect to be the only camper rafting thru Grand Canyon for 2 weeks with a charged tablet!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    In case anyone's interested....

I got an e-mail response to a question I had regarding availability of the OEM AC Adapters....look for these to be more commonplace from suppliers mid-July. I was told that ASUS had plans to get thousands out in distribution ASAP on or before July 16 in the U.S.

They should be available from suppliers via a Google search.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Dynex dx-ua

Hy,

been having issues whit the asus charger as has everyone else, piece of trash, per suggested by many bought the DYNEX DX-UA plugged it in and nothing.... no charge, no trickle, nothing. Can someone please help out, I must be doing something wrong since it seems to be working fine for others.

steven
    Last edited by Frederuco; 01-09-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tom29928 View Post
    1. The Transformer needs somewhere around 11 volts DC (VDC) to charge at all. The ASUS charger puts out 15 VDC; all standard USBs are 5 VDC. The Transformer will not charge slowly below 11 VDC. It will not charge at all.
    Not true. The Transformer charges from USB. Slowly. But it charges.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links