Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Bluetooth Tethering TF to phone's 3G - will Verizon know? Will they care?

I have tethered my unrooted DroidX 3G phone to my unrooted TF over Bluetooth, and can access the internet on the TF when I am not near a wi-fi hotspot. I just started doing this. I don't expect to use it for high bandwidth activities like youtube, but would like to do it occasionally for quick browser tasks when it is easier to do with the large TF screen compared to the phone's small screen.

My DroidX 3G service is with Verizon Wireless. Will they be able to detect that I am using the phone's 3G signal on my TF? If they do, would they care?

I read something on the forum about people getting letters from Verizon telling them that their tethering was not permitted (although I don't know whether they were tethering via Bluetooth or some other method). So Verizon must have somehow detected what they were doing, and apparently objects to the practice (probably because they want to charge $$ for tethering.)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    363 times
    We were just having this discussion over on the Droid X forum because I do the same thing. It is a feature that is built in to Moto phones and not all devices can accept bt tethering. I don't see how they can tell if you are bt tethering. A bt connection is a bt connection. Doesn't matter what it is or what is being transferred. A spent a week bt tethering while on vacation and haven't been notified to stop.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I think the big thing is to make sure you are not streaming netflix over it.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
    We were just having this discussion over on the Droid X forum because I do the same thing. It is a feature that is built in to Moto phones and not all devices can accept bt tethering. I don't see how they can tell if you are bt tethering. A bt connection is a bt connection. Doesn't matter what it is or what is being transferred. A spent a week bt tethering while on vacation and haven't been notified to stop.
    Which DroidX forum? I have several bookmarked. I'd like to read that discussion. Thanks.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post
    Which DroidX forum? I have several bookmarked. I'd like to read that discussion. Thanks.
    I'm going to guess droidxforums.com, sister site to Transformerforums
    OG Droid (stock), TF101 (stock)

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
    Oh.. they can tell.... I spoke to a friend at T-Mobile. he said their systems do monitor a jump in a customers usage. If they want to, they can trace the connection back to the source. But he said they usually don't. He said if your usage is average (stay under the radar) no one will be the wiser.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Oh.. they can tell.... I spoke to a friend at T-Mobile. he said their systems do monitor a jump in a customers usage. If they want to, they can trace the connection back to the source. But he said they usually don't. He said if your usage is average (stay under the radar) no one will be the wiser.
    I don't expect to use a lot of data while tethered. (I have no intention to stream video or stream audio via Pandora). An exception will be when I am on vacation for a week in Oct. and will be checking e-mail, looking at reviews of local restaurants, etc. The thing is, I normally only use 3 to 6 MB of data per month on the phone (even though I have the unlimited data plan). Since my data usage is normally low, it might not take much tethering to the TF to create what would appear to be a jump in usage that might catch Verizon's attention.

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post
    I don't expect to use a lot of data while tethered. (I have no intention to stream video or stream audio via Pandora). An exception will be when I am on vacation for a week in Oct. and will be checking e-mail, looking at reviews of local restaurants, etc. The thing is, I normally only use 3 to 6 MB of data per month on the phone (even though I have the unlimited data plan). Since my data usage is normally low, it might not take much tethering to the TF to create what would appear to be a jump in usage that might catch Verizon's attention.
    I don't believe an occasional jump in usage would be of any concern to any mobile provider. I don't think what you describe as a usage increase will be noticed.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I assume they will also be looking at usage compared to the average users too. If you are using 10 GB/month on data every month, they will look into your account. If you are using less than 1 GB per month, I doubt they will ever look too closely at your account.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Just enjoy your TF and don't sweat the small stuff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links