Like Tree1Likes

Thread: File associations

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

File associations

Hi everybody,

Does anybody know a way to handle file associations in Android/Honeycomb? Is there some kind of table in the system that associates data types with specific apps? And I don't mean the standard 4 or 5 associations (like video, txt, browser, mp3, pdf) that are already embedded. There must be a way because Quick Office Pro can be associated to .doc and .xls files. However, I don't know, for example, how to associate .cbr-files to Perfect Viewer (apparently the app doesn't provide for this itself)

I hope to receive some suggestions
    Scandal

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    From my experience the app has to some how tell the OS that it wants to open a type of file. If it does not, then it will not be in an option list.

For example - I have Adobe PhotoShop Express installed. When I try to open a picture (jpg) it will not give me the option to open it. I have to go into PSE and find the file. The down side, it does not scan the entire internal memory, and it does not give me a browse to file option. I have to move the pictures to the directory /DCIM/ to access them. PSE did not tell the OS that it can open a jpg file, so to the OS it is not an option.

Also, if you have default permissions (perhaps to open links in the twitter app set to the stock browser) you can go into settings - applications and find the Browser App and clear defaults. This will clear ALL defaults set to that app, not just the one for twitter.

If the file type is not recognized, using ES File Explorer you can long press on the file and do an OPEN AS and then select the type of file it is and it may give you an option to open it with with Perfect Viewer. Similar functionality is present in File Manager HD for unrecognized file types (select Open and it will ask you what type of file its). I do not know of a way to add a new extension (such as .cbr) to allow you to open it quickly and easily with one app every time.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Google really should establish some standards for how the apps operate within the framework of the OS so that all the apps would do the same things, like what you described. It really is the Wild Wild West.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Google really should establish some standards for how the apps operate within the framework of the OS so that all the apps would do the same things, like what you described. It really is the Wild Wild West.
    I think this is more to do with the App developer and hence a badly designed App can still get on the market and buyers would decide with their wallets by buying only the properly designed ones.
    VLBaindoor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Still somehow there must be a table/database in the android system that tells which file type is connected to which app. If only I knew the name of the file. I've used all the so-called tricks with a lot of different filebrowsers but to no avail.

The quest continues

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vlbaindoor View Post
    I think this is more to do with the App developer and hence a badly designed App can still get on the market and buyers would decide with their wallets by buying only the properly designed ones.
    I totally agree. When people ask me what's so good about the fruity pad I tell them the best thing they have going for them is the total control the company exerts over what can get installed. For some people that's a plus but for others it's a drawback.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey op

Was wondering if you ever figured out how to associate the files.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Hey guys! Android is not quite to the point of editing file types like Windows, but this should help you move in the right direction. By the way, I haven't played with Astro in a while -- it looks gorgeous on the Transformer.

Android App Defaults: A Guide to Android File Associations
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.metago.astro

07f3970e1c7bc6a59391b664f70002b0179a8d68_large.jpg

-Matt

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    I have Tf101 with 4.0.3 android (why did they not provide upgrade??). File associations have always been tricky for me but I had them mastered I thought. the key point was to know the app which opened a file and then go to settings and apps then find the app and 'clear defaults'; then you could start afresh and choose another app to open that file type. Also some apps can help manage file associations such as 'default app manager Lite'

But I have a problem now with jpg files. I want them always to open with Quickpics but they don't always. When I go via 'File Manager HD' then a jpg file opens automatically without a choice with some other app and I DON'T KNOW WHICH APP it is. If I knew I could find it and 'clear defaults'. I've tried introducing another image viewer in an attempt to get a choice but no luck. Strangely everything is fine using the built-in file manager but for most things I prefer file manager HD. Does anyone know how I can fix 'file manager HD' to use quickpics when I open a jpg file?

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    708 times
    The jpg probably open in FileManager HD's build in image viewer. Have you tried to clear defaults on HD?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links