TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times

[NEW] MicroSD supports NTFS formatted cards

I just tried something, and would like to have independent verifiction to be sure I am not experiencing a fluke. I happened to format my microSD card for NTFS and put it in my TF slot (Stock, running 8.6.5.9) . This did not work in 8.6.5.6 or older.

The reason this is important is 2 fold:

1 - FAT32 only supports file sizes up to 4 GB. Larger files will not work. NTFS will support individual files up to roughly 16 TB.

2 - SDXC cards - 64 GB cards and larger - if formatted with FAT32 under Windows will be limited to 32GB even if the card is larger. NTFS will allow us to unlock the potential for a 64 GB microSD and a 64 GB SD card, giving a fixed storage potential of 160 GB (64+64+32).

EDIT:
    To clarify, prior to the 8.6.5.9 update, only cards inserted into the Dock (USB or SD slot) were readable as NTFS. Taking a NTFS microSD card and inserting it into the tablet would show no card inserted. Taking the same card to a USB reader would allow the card readable to the dock.

Now with this update, the slot in the tablet now supports NTFS according to my tests.
    Last edited by Frederuco; 08-30-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    FHSPSU67 likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    2 - SDXC cards - 64 GB cards and larger - if formatted with FAT32 under Windows will be limited to 32GB even if the card is larger. NTFS will allow us to unlock the potential for a 64 GB microSD and a 64 GB SD card, giving a fixed storage potential of 160 GB (64+64+32).
    The difference between SDHC and SDXC is hardware based. Similar to how the difference between SD and SDHC. The internal reader for the TF will need to support SDXC in order for it to work which is doubtful. They may support it in a new hardware build down the road but it won't be backwards compatible.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by D4rkFr4g View Post
    The difference between SDHC and SDXC is hardware based. Similar to how the difference between SD and SDHC. The internal reader for the TF will need to support SDXC in order for it to work which is doubtful. They may support it in a new hardware build down the road but it won't be backwards compatible.
    I have read articles (not just on forums) that state that SDHC vs SDXC are hardware differences, others say it is not. The bottom line, if the TF does not support NTFS or exFAT, SDXC will never happen. I personallly believe that it will support a SDXC formatted for NTFS, but I do not have a SDXC card to test it out.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    71 times
    I've come across a number of posts on xda developers stating SDXC works on the dock when formatted with NTFS, but with a custom kernel. If NTFS is supported with stock kernel this is great news! Not that I plan to spend $100 on a SDXC any time soon...

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I have read articles (not just on forums) that state that SDHC vs SDXC are hardware differences, others say it is not. The bottom line, if the TF does not support NTFS or exFAT, SDXC will never happen. I personallly believe that it will support a SDXC formatted for NTFS, but I do not have a SDXC card to test it out.
    I tried a NTFS formated 32GB Runcore device using a USB adaptor on the USB port on the keyboard dock and I was able to copy files from it into built in storage on the TF Pad. So the present kernel+software+firmware seems to support NTFS.

But NTFS is a file system - it is a specific way in which files are arranged and accessed by the software.

NTFS support on Linux based systems has been there since a long time - and in fact this is another area where Microsoft's legal department may get involved - just as they did for FAT file system.

Though NTFS support has been there in Linux on standard PC CPU architecture; for other processors NTFS support is a bit patchy - Linux on some processors support NTFS very well whereas on other processors it may not yet be implemented.

But as far as I know SDHC, SDXC, SD etc are more related to flash memory and are hardware standards - just as there would be standards for Hard Disks and other similar storage media.
    VLBaindoor

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    VLBaindoor - I did some extensive testing, the dock has supported NTFS since HC 3.1. I could tak a microSD formatted for NTFS and put it in a USB card reader and it would show up as /Removable/USBdisk1/ and I could access it. Removing it (safely) and inserting it to the microSD slot in the tablet would not show any card in the transformer.

Also, I tried a SD Card formatted for NTFS in the dock slot, and that worked.

Since the last update, the tablet slot now supports NTFS (I believe)

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    71 times
    I really, really wish Asus will tell us what's changed with each update, rather than let us play "Spot The Changes" in here and other forums.
    Frederuco likes this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    VLBaindoor - I did some extensive testing, the dock has supported NTFS since HC 3.1. I could tak a microSD formatted for NTFS and put it in a USB card reader and it would show up as /Removable/USBdisk1/ and I could access it. Removing it (safely) and inserting it to the microSD slot in the tablet would not show any card in the transformer.
    Also, I tried a SD Card formatted for NTFS in the dock slot, and that worked.
    Since the last update, the tablet slot now supports NTFS (I believe)
    But still NTFS and SD/SDHC/SDXC are standards for different things. NTFS is for software and is probably copyrighted by Microsoft and SD/SDHC etc are mainly for hardware and copyrighted by SD Card Association SD Card Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    VLBaindoor

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theimmc View Post
    I really, really wish Asus will tell us what's changed with each update, rather than let us play "Spot The Changes" in here and other forums.
    Ditto!

Fred - how did you format your SD card using NTFS? My computer only gives me the choice of FAT32. I suspect it's because of my Win XP OS.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I used a Win7 computer to do it.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links