Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: [NEW] MicroSD supports NTFS formatted cards

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I am wondering if this has anything similar to do with SD Card slot on the Xoom not being supported at all when it was first released and now I understand that with the 3.2 release of Android it is supported it seems. So it is probably Google's fault that we do not know what has changed between versions.
    VLBaindoor

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Very cool to know Fred.

Thanks for sharing.

I may be getting another microSD card in the near future...so this is great FYI ahead of time.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Now with this update, the slot in the tablet now supports NTFS according to my tests.
    Thanx for the info. I still hope the TF (Android) would support Ext4/Ext3 (even just read-only.) The HDDs in my NAS are all ExtX formatted. If the TF support ExtX, I wouldn't need another computer to do fast transfers (via usb.) It kinda bugs me that most of the media players (Popcorn, Xtreamer, WDTV, etc.) support Ext2/Ext3 via USB but Android does not.

The lack of extX support is only thing that makes me thinking about rooting.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I formatted an 8 GB Adata microSD card as NTFS using my Win 7 PC. Then put a small text file on it at the root level. I put it in my TF's card slot (stock with latest firmware). File Manager HD saw the card (it showed up as "MicroSD in the "Removable" Folder. But when I clicked on MicroSD it said "directory is empty". It did not see the .txt file. So I put the card back in the PC, created a folder at the root level, and moved the .txt file into the folder. This time the TF could see and read the .txt file in the folder.

I suspect the lack of seeing the file at the root level may have been a fluke (or user error), but maybe the TF can't see files at the root level under NTFS?? In any event, Frederuco's discovery looks to be confirmed - the TF can now read NTFS in the microSD slot.

I'll try again later using a movie file >4G and see what happens.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2677 times
    I have a .docx file in the root of my microSD card. It could be that a .txt file in the root is thought to be a system file and gets hidden by default.

You, sir, have intrigued me. I will now have to investigate this.
    parawizard likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I placed a >4GB .mp4 movie file on an NTFS formatted microSD card and the TF played the movie normally. This is on a unrooted TF with HC 3.2 and the latest ASUS firmware. This is good news. Now I won't have to reduce the bitrate so drastically on long Blu-ray movies to get them under 4 GB. Thanks for sharing your discovery Frederuco.
    parawizard and Frederuco like this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    I have a .docx file in the root of my microSD card. It could be that a .txt file in the root is thought to be a system file and gets hidden by default.

You, sir, have intrigued me. I will now have to investigate this.
    I have noticed that the stock file manager as well as some others on the TF have problems opening a plain text file which has '.txt' extension.

I think even the 'Office' packages which are happy to open '.doc' and '.ppt' files are unable to open '.txt' files.

I agree this needs further investigation.
    VLBaindoor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I would prefer that it support ext4 instead of NTFS, but anything better than fat32 is good.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2677 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vlbaindoor View Post
    I have noticed that the stock file manager as well as some others on the TF have problems opening a plain text file which has '.txt' extension.

I think even the 'Office' packages which are happy to open '.doc' and '.ppt' files are unable to open '.txt' files.

I agree this needs further investigation.
    Interesting. I had not noticed this, but that is probably because I use ES File Explorer.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    The thing I really don't understand is that EXT4 was widely adopted by Linux and Android uses a Linux kernel but no EXT4? Android doesn't even play well with Linux! Crazy!!
    Frederuco likes this.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links