Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

How do I freeze Apps in unrooted device

Wondering if it's possible to freeze apps without root, I notice that you can stop apps in settings, is that the same thing or do I need to root? Actually, what does freezing do to free up memory and save battery life? I rooted on the weekend and came very close to being bricked, fortunately I was able to rebuild with a stock rom from here, and now I'm back to un-rooted. Thanks

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EckyThump View Post
    Wondering if it's possible to freeze apps without root, I notice that you can stop apps in settings, is that the same thing or do I need to root? Actually, what does freezing do to free up memory and save battery life? I rooted on the weekend and came very close to being bricked, fortunately I was able to rebuild with a stock rom from here, and now I'm back to un-rooted. Thanks
    I know you can do this with Titanium Backup but root is required.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Freezing an app makes it no longer run, nor appear in your app drawer. It is still taking up space. Generally, freezing is recommended for stock apps so that its easy to go back to bone stock after root to get updates. If you go the ROM route, you won't need to worry about it since most ROMs don't require that you have certain apps installed to update to the next version. Battery life shouldn't really be impacted, since most of the apps that are truly bad on battery aren't stock.

ETA: Frankyvee is correct that freezing an app does require root to do so (and is indeed generally performed with Titanium Backup, which also let you thaw the app when necesary).
    Last edited by harrellj; 08-29-2011 at 05:58 PM.
    OG Droid (stock), TF101 (stock)

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frankyvee View Post
    I know you can do this with Titanium Backup but root is required.
    Thank you it's appreciated!

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harrellj View Post
    Freezing an app makes it no longer run, nor appear in your app drawer. It is still taking up space. Generally, freezing is recommended for stock apps so that its easy to go back to bone stock after root to get updates. If you go the ROM route, you won't need to worry about it since most ROMs don't require that you have certain apps installed to update to the next version. Battery life shouldn't really be impacted, since most of the apps that are truly bad on battery aren't stock.

ETA: Frankyvee is correct that freezing an app does require root to do so (and is indeed generally performed with Titanium Backup, which also let you thaw the app when necesary).
    Thanks for that, but what about just stopping the app, will it stay stopped and no longer use system resources ? When I installed the rom from here, it updated its firmwear instantly, so does that mean it has the same restrictions as the pre installed OS? Thanks
    Last edited by EckyThump; 08-29-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EckyThump View Post
    Thanks for that, but what about just stopping the app, will it stay stopped and no longer use system resources ? Thanks
    No, stopping an app just means it'll start right back up. Revisiting Android Task Killers and Why You Still Don't Need One is an excellent article about how Android handles memory, but the basic gist is that Android prefers your memory to be nearly full all the top rather than empty. The reason is simple: its faster to load an app if its already in memory.
    OG Droid (stock), TF101 (stock)

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harrellj View Post
    No, stopping an app just means it'll start right back up. Revisiting Android Task Killers and Why You Still Don't Need One is an excellent article about how Android handles memory, but the basic gist is that Android prefers your memory to be nearly full all the top rather than empty. The reason is simple: its faster to load an app if its already in memory.
    Thanks, I'm a windows person from way back to 3.1 and I've had a go at Linux, but this hidden file thing in Android is quite puzzling? even when I had root I still couldn't see the whole system. Oh well I'll get there in the end

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    As was said root is required to freeze. Titanium Pro and MyBackUp Pro both having freezing capabilities.

And to follow-up on harrellj's post stock apps need to be intact before any future updates are able to be taken. That is why deleting stock apps is not the best way to go. Freezing ensures that they are still installed and are easily unfrozen to take future OTA updates.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
    As was said root is required to freeze. Titanium Pro and MyBackUp Pro both having freezing capabilities.

And to follow-up on harrellj's post stock apps need to be intact before any future updates are able to be taken. That is why deleting stock apps is not the best way to go. Freezing ensures that they are still installed and are easily unfrozen to take future OTA updates.
    Yeah I just read the article on keeping apps running to save battery life, it was completely unintuitive to me. I will reinstate those apps that I closed and go from there. I'm wondering if when I get a few more apps filling up my sd space, should I then go ahead and freeze apps with Titanium in root? Then if I want the latest updates I can save my setup, un-root get the update and then go back to root? I've actually learned more this week about android than in all the previous time I've had it. Thanks

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links