Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Cool Hulu, Netflix, streaming/accessing stuff

Since I'm fairly new to Android I need some advice here.

From what I gather, there is not a native app for Hulu or Netflix yet. They keep saying they're coming out with one soon right?

So, is there a work around for this?

Secondly, if I were looking to stream content lets say from my laptop what would be a good option to accomplish this? Possibly store my stuff in the cloud instead? Speaking of, how is the streaming of content with the ASUS cloud?

Third, what if I want to access television? A friend mentioned Boxee about a year ago as an alternative to Slingbox. It might have been free also.

THANKS!~

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leland_7 View Post

From what I gather, there is not a native app for Hulu or Netflix yet. They keep saying they're coming out with one soon right?

Secondly, if I were looking to stream content lets say from my laptop what would be a good option to accomplish this? Possibly store my stuff in the cloud instead? Speaking of, how is the streaming of content with the ASUS cloud?

Third, what if I want to access television? A friend mentioned Boxee about a year ago as an alternative to Slingbox. It might have been free also.

THANKS!~
    Currently there's no work around for Hulu and Netflix. As far as streaming from a laptop you can use the mynet application to do so or get an app from the market to do it. It looks like you have to download stuff from the cloud app instead of streaming it so I don't really use it and I'm not sure about the last question. Maybe someone else will be able to answer that one.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i'm looking at this or something like it for movies
    GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate
    can't use it and the internet at same time but i don't have a moble hotspot anyways

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Is it a licensing issue with Hulu and Netflix? I don't understand how it takes this long for so many brilliant ppl to build an app. Must be licensing?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times

THANKS!~
    There is a work around called Playon. It sets your PC up as a server and there is a Playon App that will stream the content from your PC. Basically you are using your PC as the middle guy to connect and stream Hulu and Netflix plus much more to your Android device. I use it to stream Netflix to my transformer while do the treadmill thing. Also you can stream content stored on your PC to your Transformer this way.

Information on Playon can be found at this LINK.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama29 View Post
    There is a work around called Playon. It sets your PC up as a server and there is a Playon App that will stream the content from your PC. Basically you are using your PC as the middle guy to connect and stream Hulu and Netflix plus much more to your Android device. I use it to stream Netflix to my transformer while do the treadmill thing. Also you can stream content stored on your PC to your Transformer this way.

Information on Playon can be found at this LINK.

I have problems using playon, i dontget any video...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by westuh View Post
    I have problems using playon, i dontget any video...
    I have never had much problem using Playon. There are some pretty good user forums on the Playon site as well. I have streamed using Playon to a PS3, Wii, Xbox 360, Droid X, and the Transformer.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Yeah there's always play on but you have to pay for it from what I understand.

Sent from my Transformer

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Is it a licensing issue with Hulu and Netflix? I don't understand how it takes this long for so many brilliant ppl to build an app. Must be licensing?
    Hulu and Netflix have tto approved the devices, not to mention develop an app optimized for Honeycomb. Not sure if licensing would be the correct terminology.

I know that Hulu is blocked on my Sony Google TV. They even blocked the work around

Sent from my Transformer TF101-B1 using Tapatalk

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycemiskel View Post
    Yeah there's always play on but you have to pay for it from what I understand.

Sent from my Transformer
    Yes the Playon program for the PC has a fee associated with it. The App is free. I was a early adopter and got a Lifetime license back when they were not asking quite as much. I debated at the time if it was something I should get. As time goes on I have been glad I did.

Here is a quote from the FAQ's on the Playon site concerning pricing:

"You can pay for PlayOn Premium in one of two ways: either as a yearly subscription, or with a one-time fee. The subscription plan costs $39.99 for the first year, and $19.99 per year thereafter. Your subscription will automatically renew each year through your credit card or PayPal account. You can also cancel at any time.

A one-time PlayOn Premium license costs $79.99, and incurs no recurring fees.

As a PlayOn Premium license holder, you have access to the latest PlayOn Premium product line software features and content."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links