Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ex-iPad users with a transformer, any regretes?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

ex-iPad users with a transformer, any regretes?

Those of you who are ex-iPad users, I need to ask, now that you have an Asus Transformer, what are your honest thoughts of the transformer tablet experience and the current Android OS?

Do you have any regrets?
    What do you miss from the iPad?
    What do you wish were different about the Transformer and or the current version of Android?
    What are your opinions on the quality of Apps for both platforms?
    Do you think you are going to stay with the Transformer and Android OS, or maybe move back to the iPad?
    Do you have any overall opinions on either platforms?

Before anyone replys, here is what I ask...
    This is not a FANBOY or HATE Thread for either platform.
    No Bashing peoples own opinions.

If you haven't owned and seriously used an iPad, than there probably really wouldn't be any reason for you to comment on this thread since you couldn't give any real input from your own experience
    - and the same holds true if you don't have a transformer, but odds are you do since you are here in the first place.

I am no fanboy of Apple or the iPad, but do acknowledge that iPads are very popular,
    there are schools and businesses which are beginning to use iPads as a standard tablet platform,
    App quality seems to be more functional and polished on iPads than on the Android counter part,
    and last IMO iPads feel more comfortable in my hand for reading, than a narrower and longer feeling tablet.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Haven't looked back!

Seriously though I sold an iPad 2 after getting the Transformer but about 2 weeks ago I bought another iPad 2 because I was tired of waiting on Asus/Android to give me 1) a smooth web browsing experience 2) NetFlix 3) Skype Video (grand kids and why should I ask the world to change from Skype to Google Talk just because of my tablet) 4) Several other app malfunctions due to 3.2 update. I found myself spending more time trying to fix stuff rather than enjoying stuff so it is currently on the shelf waiting for updates.

But when/if the majority of the above BASIC things get worked out, I'll have another iPad 2 on eBay.
    Last edited by Mickeylittle; 08-19-2011 at 02:35 PM.
    boret likes this.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm not exactly an ex-iPad owner -- it got handed down to my wife. But no, I have no desire to steal it back. The transformer can do so much more and is so much less locked down. The lack of Netflix was annoying...until I rooted it and got it going, and that was really the last thing I liked better about the iPad.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Before I got my tab used my GF's Ipad 2 all the time and I have to say I am very happy with my tablet in all but 1 area GAMING!

Seem there to be a distinct lack of decent games of the tablet right now but apart from that the eee pad a better all rounder.

I have also played around with my friends Acer Iconia tab running windows 7 and the eee pad wins hands down.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Was using an iPad (first edition) at work as was the boss, Bought a Transformer for the ability to use it to access RWW (Remote Web Workplace) on our network. We both dumped the iPad. Transformer is faster and works perfect. Only issue noticed is that anything that requires Active X does not work, however using Teamviewer Application solved the problem. Had my transformer for over threee months haven't had a single issue. Noticed many people having issues in various areas on the forum however I guess I'm lucky as I haven't encountered a single problem. The only thing missing that I would like to have, is the ability to get Netflix, and hopefully that will be resolved soon.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    still own an Ipad 2 at our house, my wive's using it. I never find the need or desire to use it anymore...unless i'm charging my TF... and my wive sometimes hate her ipad for not being able to transfer files freely. but I wont sell it, the TF and the Ipad 2 both have their uses. at least with the Ipad at home, my little boy wont bother me using the TF, because the games he likes are not available yet on the Android

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I used an iPad 1 for over a year and really liked it. I miss some of the apps, mostly the games I bought from EA. I think the quality of apps for android tablets is lacking when compared to the iStore at present. Hopefully when ICS becomes a defacto standard developers will start to port over some of the better iPad apps.Things I don't miss: iTunes!

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Reef View Post
    Was using an iPad (first edition) at work as was the boss, Bought a Transformer for the ability to use it to access RWW (Remote Web Workplace) on our network. We both dumped the iPad. Transformer is faster and works perfect. Only issue noticed is that anything that requires Active X does not work, however using Teamviewer Application solved the problem. Had my transformer for over threee months haven't had a single issue. Noticed many people having issues in various areas on the forum however I guess I'm lucky as I haven't encountered a single problem. The only thing missing that I would like to have, is the ability to get Netflix, and hopefully that will be resolved soon.
    Just jumping in to say that you'll never get ActiveX working on the TF natively, mostly because its a proprietary plug-in developed by MS for use on IE (might work on Windows Phone as well though).
    OG Droid (stock), TF101 (stock)

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times

As an ex iPad Owner

Do you have any regrets? No, not really. Why? Cause I think Androids have "copied" a lot of iPad strengths.

What do you miss from the iPad? I'd like an actual orientation lock rather than software control. But not a deal breaker, obviously.

What do you wish were different about the Transformer and or the current version of Android? I'd like a way to control apps from auto running and auto checking/synching... running down my battery -- even when I set them to NOT sync or update. Airplane mode seems the only way to stop some of the apps (such as email and skype).

What are your opinions on the quality of Apps for both platforms? I don't hoard apps... for what I need, I am happy with Android (except for Skype app)

Do you think you are going to stay with the Transformer and Android OS, or maybe move back to the iPad? Stay.

Do you have any overall opinions on either platforms? Yes:

1. Androids seem to have more problems for some users... but for me, things really do work so far... so not much different from iPad. Really.
    2. The two iPad factors that caused me to switch to Android: (1) Hate iTunes synching and (2) inability to back up data onto microSD or reg SD card.
    Last edited by Ben2World; 08-19-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    While I have never owned an iPad I have dozens of customers who do. They have had me configure the WiFi, the E-Mail, and have generally asked me to help them with other items that many of us would take for granted -- but I have a lot of customer like that. Problem 1 I had with iPad is iTunes and though the iPad on the surface was certainly responsive and impressive I have problems with most closed systems and everything Apple does is pretty closed.

The first time I saw someone with a Toshiba Thrive was when I decided I wanted an Android tablet. I had actually not even been seriously thinking about a tablet before that. So I did my research.

Just looking at hardware specs alone made the TF stand out. Combine that with the potential for 16 hours of use with the dock, the open OS (yes, I know, there are pros and cons). I very nearly thought I would have no choice if I wanted to improve my productivity but to get a TF. Haven't regretted one moment.

On a side note, not to bash Apple or Apple product users, but I have found that no matter what problems their products may have, no SD on iPad, no RJ-45 on the Air and on and on they do seem to get a pass from their fans while some of the press will initially point out those issues then totally overlook them.

Apple is very innovative. IBM was that way once and every time they came out with a new technology another company came out with a better version. Goes with the territory.

/end

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links