Thread: Curious about "Hard Reboot"

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times

Curious about "Hard Reboot"

I read something about a 'hard reboot' where one presses both power button and volume down button together... Then, there is "resetting" and finally restoring to factory settings.

Curious, how many of you had to do any of the above, how often and why? So far, everything seems to work well enough, even though a few apps force closed themselves. But I will be using the TF on a two-month trip to southeast Asia, and am curious just how reliable the TF is -- and how often folks have to resort to the above?

Finally, pray tell, how does one reset back to factory settings (just in case I ever need to while on the road...). Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ben2World; 08-13-2011 at 11:33 PM.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    First, to understand the differences of the different modes, we will use PC analogies.

Sleep = Windows PC Sleep
    Reboot (shutdown, power on) = Windows PC Hibernate
    Hard Reset (Cold Boot) = Windows PC Shutdown/Restart
    Factory Reset = Windows PC Format C: and reinstall Windows.

To do a hard reset:

Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off and Press and Hold the power button and the "Down" volume button together for 6-10 seconds and let them both go. After a few seconds you should see a couple of shapes in the middle of the screen called "Wipe Data" and "Android". Wait a few more seconds until the term "Cold Boot" appears in the list near the top of the screens and just press and release the "Down" volume button again and let it reboot. If you own the dock be sure and do this with the dock connected.
    I only hard reset when my TF acts funny. It usually is only ever few days at most. If an application does not want to work right, or apps won't install from the market, then I hard reset.

Also, one of our members had their wife "borrow" his TF for a 6 week trip to the Philipines and had no issues with reliability during that time.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Just a couple more questions to clarify...

1. PC sleep = TF sleep. How does one manually put the tablet to sleep?
    2. PC hibernate = TF power off. OK, got that one. I assume there is still some battery drain even after TF's so-called 'shutdown'.
    3. PC off = TF ??? Is there a TF "off" feature that stops any and all battery drain?

4. Factory Reset -- heaven forbid, but if a need arises, how does one effect a factory reset?

So, only there is no equivalent to Windows PC "OFF"? Finally good to know that a TF performed its duty all through the 6 weeks in the Philippines. Thanks!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben2World View Post
    Just a couple more questions to clarify...

1. PC sleep = TF sleep. How does one manually put the tablet to sleep?
    2. PC hibernate = TF power off. OK, got that one. I assume there is still some battery drain even after TF's so-called 'shutdown'.
    3. PC off = TF ??? Is there a TF "off" feature that stops any and all battery drain?

4. Factory Reset -- heaven forbid, but if a need arises, how does one effect a factory reset?

So, only there is no equivalent to Windows PC "OFF"? Finally good to know that a TF performed its duty all through the 6 weeks in the Philippines. Thanks!
    Hi Ben- to put your tablet to sleep- if docked then close the lid or touch the power button. If undocked, touch power button.
    To put off- long press powerbutton and choose shutdown. I believe this will stop battery use.

How'd I do Fred?
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    On a PC, hibernate has the same effect as power off. All HDD's are shutdown, and any battery drain is just natural battery drain due to batteries not holding a charge.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    I think what confused me was the comparison to PC hibernate. For example, say I open a PDF file to p. 63 on my PC. Bringing a PC into and then out of hibernation, p.63 will show right back up again. In contrast, a TF power off, then back on will bring up the home screen, but one has to open a PDF app and navigate to p63! So not really hibernation, at least not PC style hibernation.

I really wonder if powering off, then powering back on the TF actually reboots the OS -- like a cold reboot? It seems to take just as long... and once on -- regardless of whatever was on the screen before powering off, we get the home screen, seemingly all fresh and pristine again...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    It is not apples to oranges comparison, but it is close. Powering it off and back up does not give the same effect as a hard reset. Most times after a power off and power on cycle I still have some programs in the recent apps list. After a hard reset my recent apps is cleared out.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    OK, thanks. You haven't said anything about factory rollback (reset). Something to do with the pin hole located between the HDMI slot and the phone jack?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Pinhole by HDMI is the microphone. Factory reset is done throught the power volume buttons or through the Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Reset.

I am not sure the key sequence to do it through the power and volume buttons on 3.2.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Heh heh, glad I didn't stick a paper clip through...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links