Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

MicroSD or SD Card ?

Hi all,

So, now that I have the keyboard dock for my transformer, I am thinking that i can probably save some money and just get a regular SD card instead of going with the MicroSD card.

Question I have though, is, will there be a performance difference if I dont get the MicroSD and just get the SD card for the keyboard? If not, then, what type of SD card should I get? i see there are different classes (Class 2, 3, 4). I assume they are just the speed of the read/write?

Thanks in advance for any replies I'm loving my new toy

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by garyfalzone View Post
    Hi all,

So, now that I have the keyboard dock for my transformer, I am thinking that i can probably save some money and just get a regular SD card instead of going with the MicroSD card.

Question I have though, is, will there be a performance difference if I dont get the MicroSD and just get the SD card for the keyboard? If not, then, what type of SD card should I get? i see there are different classes (Class 2, 3, 4). I assume they are just the speed of the read/write?

Thanks in advance for any replies I'm loving my new toy
    If you get a MSD you can have your data (Pics Movies Music) with you and available docked or not. I know when I am on the move I rarely take the dock with me.
    As for speed. Class 4 seems to work well

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    hi garyfalzone-
    I wouldn't get anything less than a class 4. 4 to 10, whatever is the best price for your needs. Last I priced out memory cards, the micro and full sd were not too far apart in price if you find a good deal. So if you want to carry around your TF docked, it doesn't matter what kind of card you get. If you will be splitting your TF from the dock at times, then you will need the micro sd card. Just surf the net for rebates, free shipping, and price. I got a good deal at frys. Newegg also has good deals from time to time. I looked for 2 weeks befor finding a 32gb micro sd for $49.99 after rebate. Good luck!
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

If you get a Micro SD card, they usually come with an SD card adapter. You then have the option of using it in your dock with the adapter or your TF when you don't have it attached.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    IMO, it is better to have the microSD so you have it when it is docked and undocked. One advantage to the SD card over the microSD is that the SD card can be formatted for NTFS so it can handle files larger than 4 GB each. The microSD has to be formatted for FAT32 or it will not read. With FAT32 individual file size cannot exceed 4 GB.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    IMO, it is better to have the microSD so you have it when it is docked and undocked. One advantage to the SD card over the microSD is that the SD card can be formatted for NTFS so it can handle files larger than 4 GB each. The microSD has to be formatted for FAT32 or it will not read. With FAT32 individual file size cannot exceed 4 GB.
    I'd agree that the microSD card would be a first choice...

Then again....I've got BOTH installed.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hmmm, I seem to remember formatting a micoSD to NTFS before, maybe I'm mistaken?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Once again, thank you. Question - Can I use a 32 gig SD and a 32 gig MicroSD and have twice the amoun of storage? for example, my TF is 32, cn I add a total of 64 to this? that would be SWEET !!!!

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
    Hmmm, I seem to remember formatting a micoSD to NTFS before, maybe I'm mistaken?
    It is possible to format a microSD for NTFS, but in my experience (and a few other users) it is not readable by the TF in the microSD slot.

Once again, thank you. Question - Can I use a 32 gig SD and a 32 gig MicroSD and have twice the amoun of storage? for example, my TF is 32, cn I add a total of 64 to this? that would be SWEET !!!!
    Yes, you can have a 32 GB TF, 32 GB microSD and a 32 GB SD. Plus, you can do external hard drives via USB too.

Apps can only be installed on the internal memory, but I have a 16 GB TF and about 200 apps, many that I don't use, and I am only using less than 2 GB of storage for them.
    Last edited by Frederuco; 08-13-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    It is possible to format a microSD for NTFS, but in my experience (and a few other users) it is not readable by the TF in the microSD slot.

Yes, you can have a 32 GB TF, 32 GB microSD and a 32 GB SD. Plus, you can do external hard drives via USB too.

Apps can only be installed on the internal memory, but I have a 16 GB TF and about 200 apps, many that I don't use, and I am only using less than 2 GB of storage for them.
    Good points.

I was all gung-ho about getting one of those new 64GB microSD cards to go with the 32GB version and 16GB SD card I have here...only to see (like you) that even 16GB is alot of external storage on the Transformer...and I have alot of photos and video files on my microSD card already (which tend to be pretty big).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links