Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What Antivirus and malware software do you use ?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

What Antivirus and malware software do you use ?

What Anti virus and malware protection do you use. ...........If any?

Whats Tf users opinions of Norton or Avg ?

Is free protection worth having.

Or maybe the 64000 dollar question should be this..

Is It worth protecting our selves against attack in the first place.?

Thanks

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    i use trend micro mobile its $10 for a year at best buy
    Dfar likes this.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    That is a matter of personal preference. I have heard 2 sides to this argument. Side 1, as long as you download from reliable sources (Market & Amazon) then there is very little fear of getting a virus. Also, that AV programs rob battery life as they are always scanning.

Side 2 is that it is cheap insurance against an attack, whether using the free or paid versions. There are people out there who would love to exploit our personal data on our tablets and android phones.

I am not running any, but I also do not download software unless I know it is safe, and I do not open email attachments from unknown people.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As someone who has worked with an ISP for many years I have learned that most malware and email virii come to you via someone you know who is passing things on unknowingly because they got infected. I like to tell users that good computer security is multilayered, like an onion.

My ISP scans incoming and outgoing mail at the server level for viruses but we always recommend that as a bare minimum users should keep an Antivirus program installed and up to date as a second line of defense "just in case".

For my TF I`m using AVG.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    I can limit myself to downloading apps only from Market and Amazon. But what about downloading email attachments from a trusted friend who's been infected and passing on malware unknowingly? What about accidentally visiting an infected website ('drive by' infections)?

As an Android newbie, I would love to hear more about the pros and cons from users. I want to be careful, but not paranoid. AV's consume RAM and power...
    Last edited by Ben2World; 08-13-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    grenville likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I personally don't use any AV/Malware protection on my Android devices. So far, the only known malware for Android have all been ones that were either from an unknown app market or were ones that spoofed legit apps. However, I also check the permissions of anything attempting to install and if it doesn't seem appropriate for the app, the app doesn't get installed.
    clue_less likes this.
    OG Droid (stock), TF101 (stock)

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    You need an antivirus program for your transformer just about as much as you need a screen protector. Screen protectors gather air bubbles and make the screen less responsive for the "protection of your screen" which happens to be made of Gorilla Glass. I mean really, your going to protect Gorilla Glass with a cheap piece of clear plastic??? Anti virus is mostly the same concept. Your going to run a program in the background to scan your system and all incoming files to protect it from "known" viruses and spyware on a Linux based system. I think everyone needs to step back and think about what antivirus protection is. Antivirus programs rarely ever stop you from getting viruses, but they are useful for removing them. It's like owning a broom. A broom doesn't prevent your floor from getting dirty, it helps clean up your dirty floor.

I'm not saying that antivirus programs are completely useless, but they are NOT beneficial until you've contracted the virus. If you feel like your tablet has a virus, it probably wouldn't hurt to try an antivirus app out. But as far as using it for day to day use, you probably don't need active antivirus protection.
    Stephen

For a better experience use Open Source Software.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    901 times

A TransformerForums Headline

FYI -"Some researchers recently demonstrated what may be a design flaw in Android that would allow malware to mimic legitimate apps. Sean Schulte, SSL developer at Trustwave, and Nicholas Percoco, the senior vice president and head of SpiderLabs at Trustwave, revealed at a DefCon Hacking Convention, what they believe is a design flaw in Android. They indicated that the design flaw could be used by advertisers to bring annoying pop-up ads to phones, or even by criminals to steal data via phishing. Basically the exploitable flaw centers around the fact that Android allows a developer to override the standard for hitting the back buttons. Because of this, an app can be created that is able to steal the focus and keep you from being able to hit the back button to exit out. This is similar to some malware attacks on Windows based computers. They are calling it the "Focus Stealing Vulnerability", and they were able to demonstrate an app they created that did exactly what they described. The worst part about this potential vulnerability is that it could do more than just create a replacement pop-up ad; it could also detect when you are using a banking or email app."
    I use Lookout!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    common sense 2011 ultimate

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Seriously though is there really a need for it, I've never heard of any tablet getting infected with a virus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links