Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What Antivirus and malware software do you use ?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I work at a hardware security vendor, so at home I have a hardware firewall much beefier than a home network needs and I'm doing antivirus and IPS at the gateway, not on the device.

When I travel ... I exercise caution. I find most client-based antivirus programs to be major resource hogs that I don't like dealing with. So ... if I'm not surfing, put it in Airplane Mode. If I am surfing, don't ever ever follow a link that you don't already know what's at the other end. If I'm on a public, unencrypted wifi network, try launching a PPTP tunnel back to my firewall and see how performance is, because I'd much rather surf a little more slowly over an encrypted link than tell everyone at the cafe anything they want to know about my business.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Back in 2009, I did a seven-month RTW trip -- taking in such "scary" countries as Belarus, Ukraine, Russia and China. I used public computers in all these countries (plus others of course) all the time -- surfing, checking emails and doing internet banking when necessary. I exercised common sense care and made sure to clear browser cache after each use. And NOTHING happened. My bank account didn't get drained. My email account didn't get flooded with spam.

Obviously, not saying cyber crime doesn't exist -- of course it does! But like reading our newspapers about crime, I really think most all of us get a grossly exaggerated sense regarding the prevalence of crime! Let's keep in mind -- even if you read about 20 instances of murders and rapes every single day -- there are three hundred million souls unmolested in our country alone -- and billions more worldwide. I view cyber crime in a similar light.

Maybe using Windows is like living on a busy, urban street -- so yes, use antivirus just like you would lock your door when venturing out. Maybe using Android is like living in a rural area miles away from population -- so no need for antivirus just like no need to lock your door every time you venture out? Not saying I know, but asking...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links