Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New user to Transformer AND Android devices - some questions

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

New user to Transformer AND Android devices - some questions

I have been waiting for some good android tablets to come on the market (I have an iPhone x 2 and an iPad in our household), and I just bought the transformer yesterday, already super stoked and happy with the purchase!

I have some questions, however, as I'm used to the locked down Apple products.

1) The MicroSD slot on the tablet itself...does it have to be MicroSD or could you use micro sdhc? MicroSD seems to be limited to 4gb, where Micro SDHC is limited to 32gb
    2) For the keyboard attachment, i have been reading there is lag with it, but the lag only happens on the built in browser app, is that true? Is there no lag everywhere else?
    3) For the keyboard attachment, I have read there are 2 usb ports. Can I hook up, say, a 2tb external HD to the device to browse files? I would love to dump a bunch of movies on an external HD or jump drive and watch them without having to store them on my tablet, and then delete them when done.
    4) For the SD slot on the keyboard, same question as number 1, but modified. Do I have to use a SD slot, or can I use an SDHC card?
    5) For the MicroHDMI port, will it mirror whatever is on the transformer? Or, only certain apps? I'd love to hook up my transformer and play games on the big screen
    6) I keep reading it has a usb port on the tablet itself, but I don't see one anywhere besides the one that goes to the power chord. Is there anyway to hook up an external usb device to the tablet itself, or do I have to hook it up to the keyboard attachment?
    7) Is there anyway to get the apps that are flagged as not working for the transformer? I would love to get my mint.com att on this device, but it can't currently.

I think that's all for now, loving the device thats for sure!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Microsdhc works fine up to 32gb. The slots cand read ADHD without issue. It's the OS that'll stumble on larger specs.

I use my 1tb USB HDD without issue as well.

No USB host on tablet itself. You need a dock. Keyboard dock gives you more options but Asus has a cheaper media dock coming out as well.

Keyboard lag is with stock browser. Google has to release a fix. On Opera it goes away. I'm other apps it's fine.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenaS View Post
    Microsdhc works fine up to 32gb. The slots cand read ADHD without issue. It's the OS that'll stumble on larger specs.

No USB host on tablet itself. You need a dock. Keyboard dock gives you more options but Asus has a cheaper media dock coming out as well.

Keyboard lag is with stock browser. Google has to release a fix. On Opera it goes away. I'm other apps it's fine.
    Ok, to confirm, I can get two 32gb sdhc cards, one micro for the tablet, and one regular for the keyboard attachment, and they will work fine, correct?

good news about the keyboard lag, I'm fine with waiting for a fix or using opera.

thanks for the info!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dzirkelb View Post
    Ok, to confirm, I can get two 32gb sdhc cards, one micro for the tablet, and one regular for the keyboard attachment, and they will work fine, correct?

good news about the keyboard lag, I'm fine with waiting for a fix or using opera.

thanks for the info!
    Affirmative. I have a 32gb in my tablet and another in my dock. And I plugged in my USB HDD. (Combined max storage for me is 80gb + 1tb.) Get a decent file manager app and you can transfer files between them. Tap a file and Android figures out which app can use it.

The cards appear in the removable directory under microsd and sdcard respectively. Also they appear as icons in the notification bar. Tap that and itll launch your file explorer for that device/card.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    To recap, both slots will handle up to 32 GB SDHC. I have read that it should support a 64 GB SD card, but the issue is formatting it. The TF cannot read NTFS formatted cards in the card readers, but it will work via the USB ports in a card reader. Windows has issues formatting a 64 GB SD card to 64 GB.

The keyboard lag is in the stock browser. I use Opera Mobile to eliminate the lag. This happens with both the keyboard and the virtual keyboard in the Browser app.

USB ports on the dock can handle hard drives. Some that require 2 USB ports (one for power & data, 2nd for power) may need to use both. I use a 500 GB WD HDD with no issues on one port. Jump drives work equally well

HDMI mirrors most of the screen, except for the black bar at the bottom (with the home button). Basically, it does a 720p output of the screen.

There is no USB host support on the tablet currently, but ASUS has a USB host adapter that they announced a while back that is still not released. It showed up on Amazon Germany site this week, but it is not available yet. See info here: Asus Adds More Accessories For The Transformer

There are some workarounds to get apps that are not compatible with the TF installed. One is Facebook, which is not compatible with the TF, but you can get it working if you find the .apk file elsewhere on the net. It still has bugs and looks bad, but it works. Also, Netflix is not supported but it can be installed and if you root the device (jailbreak it) you can modify some system files to make it play, but you lose the ability to play back .wma files. Not all apps are working this well, Viber will install but will not allow you to get the code to activate it to use it at this time.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenaS View Post

Not to jack this thread, but out of curiosity, anyone know the maximum capacity the transformer can handle for SD cards? They've announced SDXC cards up to 2TB in the future and the price should drop significantly on SDXC cards in the next couple years.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the info guys. I purchased an hdmi converter (male mini to female regular), 32gb sdhc card (for tablet), keyboard dock, and a 250gb usb drive that has a built in cable (should be plenty for what I need it for, just need to pop on 10-20 movies at a time of around 10-20gb each). I'm super excited

I have the mojo player installed for my .mkv files, hopefully that will work ok. And, I have a file manager program, can't remember what it is called, but looks to be decent.

For a mouse, will any usb mouse work?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    You'll only know by trying, and anything > 32gb cards is too rich for my budget. All you moneybags out there will have to buy, try, and inform the poor boys here!
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SAN66 View Post
    Not to jack this thread, but out of curiosity, anyone know the maximum capacity the transformer can handle for SD cards? They've announced SDXC cards up to 2TB in the future and the price should drop significantly on SDXC cards in the next couple years.
    The issue with larger capacity SD cards is formatting. The TF does not read NTFS formatted cards, I have only been able to get FAT32 working. With that being said, if you take a 64 GB SD card and format it for FAT32 Windows often will cap the size to 32 GB, the same as if you format a 4 GB card to FAT it will only show 2 GB.

Quote Originally Posted by dzirkelb View Post
    I have the mojo player installed for my .mkv files, hopefully that will work ok. And, I have a file manager program, can't remember what it is called, but looks to be decent.

For a mouse, will any usb mouse work?
    For mkv files you may want to try Plex or Dice as Mobo may not play the audio on some formats.

Any USB mouse should work, most Bluetooth mice will work too. I know the Apple Magic Mouse does not work as it is recognized as a keyboard, not a mouse. I use the Apple Mightly Mouse and it works flawlessly. Be advised the right click acts as a back button.
    buzzman likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    [QUOTE]For mkv files you may want to try Plex or Dice as Mobo may not play the audio on some formats.QUOTE]

I jus tlooked at Plex, and that won't work for me for playing locally from the device, but I may look into it for streaming. I used air video on my ipad, and haven't even looked to see if it is on the android market or not yet. Air video worked great.

What is the Dice one? A search for dice brings up many apps that are not media players.

Basically, i need the ability to play movies when I am not connected via wifi, so I need to play them directly from my device, or directly from an external HD. I haven't checked mobo yet, but all of my mkv files will be 1080p with Dolby True HD, DTS HD, or any other HD audio inside the container.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links