Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Anyone seen a definite release date for the Slider?

I gotta say I am liking my Transformer. I'd say 80% of what I do with it is read stuff. Books, websites and mails. I can't stand typing on it though (don't have a keyboard) so I end up back on a laptop to answer e-mails, write this, etc. I suspect I'd do that even if I had a keyboard because it would probably be sitting on the desk next to my laptop most of the time (the tablet gets read all over the place). Having a keyboard attached to a device as slim as the Transformer would be perfect for me and would expand a tablet's usefulness massively (a bit more umpff in the guts wouldn't go amiss either).

Anyone seen a definite release date for the Slider?

Thanks.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    It looks like the Slider went through the FCC the last week in July, so it should be out soon. I have not seen any official release date.

I am curious, are you interested in adding the keyboard to the transformer? The slider is heaver than the TF without the keyboard, but the battery life is worse. Here is a little chart I put together to compare the slider with the TF:

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks. I'm not too worried about battery life as my Transformer doesn't leave the house much, but it does move around the house a lot - more than any of my laptops ever did. I just think a keyboard that is physically attached would work best for me.

I suspect my ideal machine is something with the size and performance of an 11" MacBook Air with a convertible touchscreen (and GPS, gyro, etc).

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I have to ask...you are aware that there is a keyboard dock that physically attaches to the transformer tablet transforming it to a 10" touchscreen netbook, correct?

Taking battery life out of the equation, I would still go for the Transformer with the keyboard dock as it allows you to change the angle of the screen. With the slider, it has one fixed angle when opened. Also, the TF with dock adds a track pad for mouse support.

That is just my $0.02.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Yes, I'm aware. I just have a feeling that if it can come off, then it will be most of the time. At least in this household. Whereas something that's stuck on will always be there. Maybe I should get a keyboard and give it a try.

But I have a feeling that this time next year my convertible touchscreen MBA look- and performalike with some kind of Windows/Android mongrel OS will be with us. At least I hope so.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Just adding my $0.02CAD to the pot, but I have to agree that the TF101 w/Keyboard Dock is (to me) a better option than the slider. Flexible viewing angles, almost 3x battery life, and 2 USB ports vs the Slider's 1. Other than that, the tablet themselves seem pretty near identical.

I work at HP and I get a LOT of interest from people when I have it out on my desk, people who were thinking about picking up our TouchPad, but are now leaning toward Transformer. I showed it to one lady yesterday, and I thought she was gonna have an orgasm when I undocked the tablet with a simple flick of the latch and a pull.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks. Looks like I need to snap up a keyboard at the weekend. I guess I'm never going to know until I give it a try.

Hopefully it'll still fit on to the next generation of Transformer. I'd really like a bit more RAM (my favourite magazine streaming website does blow the memory every now and then).

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Technoir View Post
    I work at HP and I get a LOT of interest from people when I have it out on my desk, people who were thinking about picking up our TouchPad, but are now leaning toward Transformer.
    I don't even see how HP, Toshiba, or Blackberry are selling any tablets with their current offerings (product features/price ratio). Aren't they using proprietary operating systems? How easy is it for developers to create apps for these OS's? Seems like they were dead before they even hit the market. In Blackberry's case I'm not surprised, they've been seriously out of touch for a couple years now, but I'd figure HP to be more hip to the best path toward sales. Toshiba's tablet is supposedly really nice, so they have a chance because of the product's quality.
    Last edited by jaycemiskel; 08-10-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Language
    16GB Transformer, standard Android OS

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Technoir View Post
    Just adding my $0.02CAD to the pot, but I have to agree that the TF101 w/Keyboard Dock is (to me) a better option than the slider. Flexible viewing angles, almost 3x battery life, and 2 USB ports vs the Slider's 1. Other than that, the tablet themselves seem pretty near identical.

I work at HP and I get a LOT of interest from people when I have it out on my desk, people who were thinking about picking up our TouchPad, but are now leaning toward Transformer. I showed it to one lady yesterday, and I thought she was gonna have an orgasm when I undocked the tablet with a simple flick of the latch and a pull.
    LOL. That'd be me. My first week owning the TF I undocked it mid flash video stream just for the helluva it.

My bro works for HP too. The Touchpad is DOA because of its WebOS. Gave my bro my old IPad when I upgraded last Spring. He's content until he can afford a decent Android tablet (or get my TF hand-me-down).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
    I don't even see how HP, Toshiba, or Blackberry are selling any tablets with their current offerings (product features/price ratio). Aren't they using proprietary operating systems? How easy is it for developers to create apps for these OS's? Seems like they were dead before they even hit the market. In Blackberry's case I'm not surprised, they've been seriously out of touch for a couple years now, but I'd figure HP to be more hip to the best path toward sales. Toshiba's tablet is supposedly really nice, so they have a chance because of the product's quality.
    Well, I've been hearing how easy it is to port something from blackberry to WebOS, or maybe it was iOS to WebOS, so once developers get some free Touchpads to work on, the apps will flow. It's a nice OS (was just playing with a Touchpad just now), but yeah we were over a year late to the dance, so it's definitely gonna be an uphill battle to scratch out some market share. HP finally did the right thing by its employees and slashed price internally ($250+tax vs the launch price of $620-20%) so they are starting to get some internal sales. HP has never grasped the concept that the most convenient and accessible installed user base is SITTING IN THEIR FREAKING OFFICE RIGHT NOW! lol They could've handed everybody in HP a free TP, and immediately claimed an installed base of 300,000 users. That's nothing to sneeze at. But, they wanted to try and gouge their own people, and a month later, realized "this thing is tanking worse than the playbook. Better slash it and clear some inventory before we launch TP2"

But, back to Transformer. I love the versatility and flexibility. I just wish the facebook game "Gardens of Time" ran smoother/faster on it. Dunno if it's a Flash issue or what, but GoT runs horribly slow and laggy.

Um, right, the Slider. Neat concept, especially that they were able to keep the device so thin. Not that the TF+Dock is terribly thick, far from it, but I have to wonder about the soldiness of the slider hardware in such a thin form factor. the TF feels solid, substantial, robust.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links