Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

wireless air card

I have been thinking about buying the transformer for some time now. the only thing holding me back is its lack of 3g compatibility. now i know that the keyboard dock has a usb port. is there any way to use an att usb air card with the tablet? or will that not work? if not is there any way to get 3g onto this tablet? any information would be helpful.

thanks in advance,

Steve

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteve View Post
    I have been thinking about buying the transformer for some time now. the only thing holding me back is its lack of 3g compatibility. now i know that the keyboard dock has a usb port. is there any way to use an att usb air card with the tablet? or will that not work? if not is there any way to get 3g onto this tablet? any information would be helpful.

Steve
    Welcome.

I use a 3G aircard in my laptop regularly.

The current generation Transformer will not operate with an aircard at this time - it requires the apprpriate service-provider software to manage the aircard, and a Transformer-compatible version is not available from any provider that I've seen to date.

The current Transformer does have a space inside for a 3G transmitter and antenna, however it is not used at this time.

But there is also good news - there will be a 3G verison of the ASUS Transformer released before year end...so keep your ears open.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i am new to this whole tablet scene so correct me if im wrong but most likely the 3g tablet is going to be $150 more expensive correct?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    i am new to this whole tablet scene so correct me if im wrong but most likely the 3g tablet is going to be $150 more expensive correct?
    Apple's ipad is $130 more expensive so yes it could be. As for 3G have you thought about just getting a tethering phone plan? My wife had a $30 iPhone data plan and we canceled that plan and went with a $45 4gb tethering plan and it works great!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Another option (what I do) is that I have a Verizon MiFi 4G card that allows me to take the 3G/4G signal and convert it to a WiFi signal and I can put up to 5 WiFi devices online with this connection. It works great with my wife's iPad, her work computer, my TF and my work computer all at once. It will also be faster than the 3G if you have 4G available in your local.

This is essentially what Mickey does with his wifes phone, but this does it through a separate device. My wife's Verizon iPhone would not work well because it cannot do data and voice at once. The air card ran me $30 for the hardware and it is $50 / month for 5GB and $80/Month for 10 GB

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Rumors say the 3G TF will be out in Oct. I tether mine to my IPhone works like a charm. Here in Thailand phone plans are a bit different then in the States. I pay 26 $ US per month that includes 300 minutes (I don't pay for incoming calls) and unlimited WIFI. So it is not necessary for me to get the 3g TF

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am due for a new phone in September and was considering either the thunderbolt or the droid 3 from verizon. both phones, correct me if im wrong, can be used as mobile hot spots. i know that the dedicated hotspots are better than using the phone as a router but according to the verizon site the cheapest plan is 50 dollars for 4 gigs, and then on top of that the 30 dollars a month for the smartphone plan is too much money when it is possible for the phone to do it all.

how is the internet signal from a phone being used as a hotspot in comparison to wifi?

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Are you referring to speed comparison?

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    I am due for a new phone in September and was considering either the thunderbolt or the droid 3 from verizon. both phones, correct me if im wrong, can be used as mobile hot spots. i know that the dedicated hotspots are better than using the phone as a router but according to the verizon site the cheapest plan is 50 dollars for 4 gigs, and then on top of that the 30 dollars a month for the smartphone plan is too much money when it is possible for the phone to do it all.

how is the internet signal from a phone being used as a hotspot in comparison to wifi?
    I don't know about the 2 phones you are considering. It works real well with my IPhone 4

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    yes, speed. i have yet to use internet on a smartphone, i am still using a lg dare, it doesn't even have 3g. so i am curious of the internet speeds while using the phones internet on the tablet, (tethering i believe its called?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links