Thread: transferring .avi files

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

transferring .avi files

I have a Fuji FinePix camera for general picture taking. It also will take movies (.avi files). When I plug the camera in to my Transformer TF101, it automatically pulls up the app for transferring .jpeg files. but I can't find anything to transfer the movie (.avi) files. Anyone know how?

10/3/13 Update.

Just talked to Fuji. She told me that
    1. TPT only, not set up for mass storage setting.
    2. Camera not set up to connect with tablets.

So, thanks to both of you who answered my question.

Elliott
    Last edited by eaf14131; 10-03-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: UPdate to original

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to the forum!

I would try one of the following 2 options:

Use a USB card reader.
    Change the USB mode of your camera (if possible) from PTP to Mass Storage.

Android will only import photos in the PTP mode for some reason, but if you change to Mass Storage you should be able to open a file manager and go to the /Removable/USBdiskX/ and browse the files.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    eaf -there are a few ways to do this, but here's an easy one -- you can use any file manager on your tablet to transfer the vids from your camera. Just close whatever picture app that auto opens...then tap the File Manager icon...on the left side panel you should see storage options, internal, micro SD etc. Your camera should be listed there [may not say FinePix, could just be SD card]...tap that and open the folder inside to see the files on your camera. Tick the box beside the .avi files to copy them. Tap Internal Storage, top on the left side panel...then navigate on the right side panel to the folder you want the vids transferred to...tap paste at the top. Transfer is complete. There are many file managers, not sure which one you like/use, but these instructions will work fine for the stock app. Having said that, .avi files didn't play well with the stock video app (at least not on my 201)...and I had a FinePix as well. Look in the Play Store for BS Player or MX Player, they handle different extensions better. Cheers, welcome to the site....and if you haven't had a look, the Master Help Guide in my signature link can offer a wack of info on file transfer - file management apps - and that's just the iceberg tip, it's a handy bookmark.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the word. If whateejit says to do doesn't work, I'll try yours

Elliott

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    eaf -there are a few ways to do this, but here's an easy one -- you can use any file manager on your tablet to transfer the vids from your camera. Just close whatever picture app that auto opens...then tap the File Manager icon...on the left side panel you should see storage options, internal, micro SD etc. Your camera should be listed there [may not say FinePix, could just be SD card]...tap that and open the folder inside to see the files on your camera. Tick the box beside the .avi files to copy them. Tap Internal Storage, top on the left side panel...then navigate on the right side panel to the folder you want the vids transferred to...tap paste at the top. Transfer is complete. There are many file managers, not sure which one you like/use, but these instructions will work fine for the stock app. Having said that, .avi files didn't play well with the stock video app (at least not on my 201)...and I had a FinePix as well. Look in the Play Store for BS Player or MX Player, they handle different extensions better. Cheers, welcome to the site....and if you haven't had a look, the Master Help Guide in my signature link can offer a wack of info on file transfer - file management apps - and that's just the iceberg tip, it's a handy bookmark.

Thanks. Glad to hear it's not just me. If it worked for your FinePix, it should on mine. I'll give it a try./

Thanks

Elliott

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

Didn't work

I just tried your suggestion and it didn't seem to work. The FinePix (FD100) did not show up as it's own device. The SD card had only these files: Audible, DCIM; Lost.Dir; Playlist. I checked each file and other than the Audible file, which had my books, no sign of the .avi file or the camera. I also check all files in the Internal Storage and no joy there either. The camera's screen is showing "USB", so I know it is connected. Any other ideas?
    Elliott

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Please excuse me if I am repeating myself. I'm new to these things and don't know if my previous post wasto you or a general post. If general, here is the message. Hope you can help:

Didn't work

I just tried your suggestion and it didn't seem to work. The FinePix (FD100) did not show up as it's own device. The SD card had only these files: Audible, DCIM; Lost.Dir; Playlist. I checked each file and other than the Audible file, which had my books, no sign of the .avi file or the camera. I also check all files in the Internal Storage and no joy there either. The camera's screen is showing "USB", so I know it is connected. Any other ideas?
    Elliott

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Just had a brainstorm. I transferred the SD card from the camera to the TF101 Under SC card/DCIM/100_Fuji there was the .avi file. Put the SD card back in the FD100, hooked it to the TF101 and repeated the process. No .avi file. I guess I can swap SD cards each time I have an .avi file, but that seems a little klutzy. Any ideas?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eaf14131 View Post
    Elliott
    I think you are getting there...

Install MX Player (app) & its related codecs (app) needed from the Play Store (they are both free)
    Install the free ES File Manager app from the Play Store
    Use ES to navigate to the DCIM folder on your camera when connected & you should be able to see your avi files
    Tap on one & you should get a dialogue asking which app you want to use to play the file - select MX Player & off you go.

Let us know how you get on.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Elliott, Your camera probably won't show up as "camera" or "FinePix" etc...not really like a computer. So nothing is wrong there. It should be listed as an external SD card or micro sd card, depending on what you're using. Been quite awhile since I've used my FinePix sorry, but you're taking the memory out of it and inserting it into the tablet? IF not, try it and see if it makes a difference. I think mine was a micro card, I just inserted into the tablet. The folder "DCIM" stores the pic & video files. If you have pictures and videos on your card & open the "DCIM" folder & nothing shows, or just the pictures show, I'm not sure what to suggest. Frederuco suggested changing from PTP to Mass Storage, check the documentation for your camera and see if that's doable. Keep posting in this thread though, your replies above are fine...let us know how you're progressing and we'll try and get it sorted.
    Last edited by eejit; 10-03-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: ninja'd!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links