Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Battery doesn't charge anymore

Out-of-the-blue my TF101 battery doesn't charge anymore. I've connected it to my pc and it does show so that means that there's nothing wrong with the cable.
    I've checked the adapter, I've put in another USB cable with a micro usb connection just to see if it will charge my Galaxy S3 and it does, so adapter is working too.
    So it must be the tablet and/or battery. But I don't know for sure.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Welcome to the forum.

When my 101 didn't charge it was usually because the thermal switch in the wall wart had tripped. Try wrapping it in plastic wrap or a baggie and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes or so.

If that doesn't do it, read through this guide...[FAQ] The definitive thread to battery related matters on the Asus range of tablets

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
    Out-of-the-blue my TF101 battery doesn't charge anymore. I've connected it to my pc and it does show so that means that there's nothing wrong with the cable.
    Sorry - wrong! All you've proved is that the two data wires are ok. You haven't done anything to prove that both the power conductors in the USB2 contact set are ok, nor have you proved that the wire in the USB3 conductor set that indicates the presence of a Transformer to the wall wart is ok.

I've checked the adapter, I've put in another USB cable with a micro usb connection just to see if it will charge my Galaxy S3 and it does, so adapter is working too.
    Wrong again, I'm afraid. All you've done is prove that in the absence of anything telling it there is a Transformer connected the wall wart will put out 5 volts - you haven't proved that the wall wart is correctly identifying the connected TF and switching its output to 15 volts as a result.

So it must be the tablet and/or battery. But I don't know for sure.
    The only way you can really prove the tablet/wall wart combination (without messing around with some test kit, such as a USB3 breakout box) is by having access to another TF/cable/wall wart combination that does charge properly and carrying out some well documented swap out tests.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Sorry - wrong! All you've proved is that the two data wires are ok. You haven't done anything to prove that both the power conductors in the USB2 contact set are ok, nor have you proved that the wire in the USB3 conductor set that indicates the presence of a Transformer to the wall wart is ok.

Wrong again, I'm afraid. All you've done is prove that in the absence of anything telling it there is a Transformer connected the wall wart will put out 5 volts - you haven't proved that the wall wart is correctly identifying the connected TF and switching its output to 15 volts as a result.

The only way you can really prove the tablet/wall wart combination (without messing around with some test kit, such as a USB3 breakout box) is by having access to another TF/cable/wall wart combination that does charge properly and carrying out some well documented swap out tests.
    My english is not really that good, but correct me if I'm wrong, so I have to buy a new adapter and cable and see if that will work? For now that's not an option, it's ridiculous expensive.

I got a tip from somebody else who had the same problem and he told me to connect the tablet to the computer for a couple of hours and then I would see that the battery will charge, but this will go very slowly. Yesterday the battery was 2% "full", I hooked it up this morning to the pc (switched off) and now it says 7% after being hooked up for almost two hours. Then he said when the % is a little higher then I could try it again with the adapter, it worked for him like that.
    So we will see what happens later today, I will keep you infromed ofcourse.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    255 times
    In case it helps, all the problems I've personally seen with charging (only 3 samples though) were due to a failed cable (the one which goes from the wall wart to the tablet). It happened to me once, and to a couple of colleagues (with TF101s). The cables don't seem very reliable.
    When this happened to me I more or less tried the same things as you did, with ambiguous results. So I went out and bought a new Asus power adapter. That's when I found out that the cable was the problem, not the charger and not the tablet (this was a TF201). Later, as I mentioned, two colleagues ran into similar problems.
    Anyway, after this I went and bought a bunch of cables on Ebay, both original Asus cables and some non-original ones - those were only $1 a piece. They all work fine. So now I have spare ones when I need them, and when I travel I bring an extra in the suitcase in case one fails. And by having several I can leave one at work and another at home, I believe this will reduce the risk of them failing as I don't have to go and bundle them up whenever I go from one place to another.

-Tor

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
    My english is not really that good, but correct me if I'm wrong, so I have to buy a new adapter and cable and see if that will work? For now that's not an option, it's ridiculous expensive.

I got a tip from somebody else who had the same problem and he told me to connect the tablet to the computer for a couple of hours and then I would see that the battery will charge, but this will go very slowly. Yesterday the battery was 2% "full", I hooked it up this morning to the pc (switched off) and now it says 7% after being hooked up for almost two hours. Then he said when the % is a little higher then I could try it again with the adapter, it worked for him like that.
    So we will see what happens later today, I will keep you infromed ofcourse.
    I'm a little confused that you haven't read through the thread that MikeM linked you to in his first reply of the thread

If you had you would have read that advice already about trickle charging when connected to a powered on PC & also various suggestions how to check your charger & also how to fix it it one particularly common situation when it simply needs a thermal cutout reset.

The information & guidance is all in that thread & I commend it to you.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    15 times
    This exact thing happened to me. I bought another adapter (with permanently connected cable) and all is now fine. Really odd that the broken adapter still had some charge coming out of it but there you go.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times
    I lost my charger and the USB port of my laptop did charge it very slowly, (tablet only, without keyboard). I ordered a new 120v household charger and a 12v car charger from ebay, but in the meantime, I found a 15v/1.6amp DC output household transformer which I spliced into a female USB plug. Then I just plugged my Transformer cable into that and it started charging instantly....both keyboard and tablet.

Oddly enough, i used to be able to charge the tf101 from a regular USB phone charger but thar doesn't work anymore.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links