Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question about browser, maps, gallery - smooth or stutters?

Hello everyone,

I've been following the Transformer almost fanatically for the past month, trying to see every little video/info about it but I have to wait until June to actually test one, having only tested briefly the Acer Iconia (just to check out Honeycomb )

The thing is it was right next to an Ipad 2 and I tried both in regards to browser, maps, and image gallery and I have to say I found the Ipad 2 to be much more fluid in scrolling pages, pinch to zoom etc...the Iconia almost always stuttered a bit, then fluid again, then stutters again. Not by much but I wonder in the long run if it wouldn't become annoying.

The videos I've seen haven't really given me a good idea, there seems to be some stuttering on the Transformer as well, so hopefully it's Honeycomb that needs some optimisations. The reviews spend very little time on using maps, browser...

I'd like to ask what your experience/thoughts are regarding the general fluidity of using these 3 main apps, perhaps comparing with an Ipad2.

Have you noticed for example a big difference in reactivity with flash enabled/disabled in the browser?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    I haven't received my Transformer yet but I have an Acer A500. It is very smooth in multi-touch and pinch n zoom.in the gallery, maps and browser. I would expect the same with the Asus. Could be that their demo unit was just bogged down from everyone playing with it.

And welcome to the forum!!!

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Apple products are designed to scroll smoothly. I'm not saying that Android devices aren't either, but Apple puts extra effort into making it look good.

I don't have my TF yet, but I'm pretty sure its smooth or else you would be seeing a lot more negative reviews. The issue is when you start installing applications that are always monitoring changes of status. Things like process watchers, status watchers, widgets, etc etc. One good example are programs that notify you when a certain parameter is met, depending on the application. For instance, Craigsnotifica. You set up a keyword search, and it will constantly search for it, and alert you once it finds a hit. Groupon is another one that checks all the time. The list goes on.

I use Autostarts on my phone to disable things like this because I want to use them only when I want to. Hopefully they will develop something like that for Honeycomb.

Oh and welcome!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the welcome I think I'll be around here quite often, especially after I receive my Transformer....three weeks, dammit!!!

Just want to mention, I have zero interest for Apple vs X philosophical discussions, but just practically speaking Honeycomb is miles ahead in terms of task switching, notifications, connectivity....that's why I gave up on the Ipad, I want to do some actual work as well on a tablet.

Having said that, I do wish Honeycomb spends more time perfecting the interaction especially in the browser. Garemlin, thanks a lot for taking the time to make those videos, you can see in the last one at about 2.00, the pinch to zoom doesn't work that great. Also at 0.35, while it's smoother it still stutters a bit. It was exactly the same on the Iconia I tried - pinch, nothing happens for about half a second, then the page is suddenly zoomed in 10x. The Ipad no matter what page I was on, was always instant and fluid. Kind of like the difference between playing a game at 60fps and 10-15. Seems it becomes a lot less smooth as soon as some or a lot of images are present on the page.

I mean it's nice seeing 1000 fishes running at 60fps inside Chrome, but it looks like WebGL only speeds up rendering of 3D objects inside the browser. At the same time it seems mostly about software optimizing rather than the touch screen tech not being sensitive enough, so that's a "good" thing

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    I have both the ipad 2 and the Asus Transformer and yes the ipad 2 is smoother. But I'm hoping that 3.1 will help to level the playing field. I wanted the Asus because of flash, the wider screen, and the abilitity to customize. Hopefully tablet apps will really start hitting the market as well.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello! just got my TF two days ago and I just want to say I'm soooo happy and impressed with it!
    I, too, checked out the ipad 2, xoom, & iconia & did all tests before deciding on the Transformer.
    Verdict:
    Ipad 2 - smoothest and crispest graphics but not as fun as android! ..customization is a must!
    xoom - integrated usb on the tablet itself. Smooth and no stutter in pinch zooming HD photos but expensive and bit heavy.
    iconia - same portability with xoom but also heavy and battery drains the fastest. Pinch zooming also stutter.
    and the Transformer(being biased ) - crisp and smooth interface. Am on 3.1 update and it did make it much faster than the
    already fast and smooth interface. Keyboard dock is handy since it adds another 5hours of battery power.
    ..can't be happier with android! i play all my emulator games using my PS3 controller on my Transformer, HDMI connected to my TV ! how cooler can it get!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links