Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

First Time Charge

Hey guys,
    I just bought a Transformer (with out the docking keyboard) today got it home to read the guidebook, albeit a very small one lol.

My question is regarding the "first time charge", in the manual it states to charge it for at least 8 hours before first use. However when I plugged it in, it automatically turned itself on. It then wanted me to go through the setup wizard, which I did while it was plugged in still, and then I turned it off to leave it to charge. It was on 29% when it powered itself on. Do you think I've "ruined" the first time charge by doing this? And how important is it to charge it "at least 8 hours"? before first use. Is just charging it to 100% good enough? I don't mind waiting until tomorrow to use it, I just want to make sure I don't get the battery life off to a bad start.

Sorry if it sounds like a noob question

Thanks in advance!

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I used mine while plugged into the wall to get it set up and start playing with it. I think it is best to let it get to 100% and leave it there for a bit longer, at least an hour IMO, to make sure you get the most out of it. Not sure if it will be any better if you leave it for the full 8, but I did not want to chance it.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the reply

I've left it off and charging for now. I'll turn it on again later and see what percentage it says before I start using it

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    As another quick question, my TF won't of finished it's initial "8 hour charge" until the early hours of the morning, in which I will be asleep lol. Is it okay to leave it plugged in for long periods of time? Can I trust the device to stop taking in charge once it's at 100%?
    Or will leaving it plugged in for so long have the adverse effect and actually be bad for the battery?

Thanks!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Leaving it plugged in too long wont affect it as long as you are using an approved charger. I have noticed that whilst charging my charger gets hot when charging. Once it reaches 100% it cools off. Leaving it plugged in for weeks and months at a time may degrade battery life (I know this to be true for a Li-ion but not sure for the Li-poly) but a few extra hours wont hurt it.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks again for your speedy reply!
    One more question (last one, I promise lol), the charger plug on the tablet (eg. The apple iPhone looking plug that goes into the tablet itself at the bottom), does yours have a bit of play in it? I can wiggle mine up and down when it's plugged in. Is this normal?

Thanks

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Don't make promises you can't keep!

Mine has very little play in it. I am not sure if it is worth returning or not. Maybe others can confirm if theirs has any play in the connector.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    kdotj,
    you just asked all the EXACT question i had in mind before i open my TF box (i just got it).

The whole, discharge, charge 8hrs, bla bla bla drives me crazy

how do i discharge it if not by using it? but im not supposed to play with it for the first time until i charge it for 8hrs? this is way too complicated for someone like me that doesnt have a clue of it

obs
    Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    You see, Li-Ion batteries REALLY need that full charge to reach their peak. I know some people who son't full charge the 1st time and their battery life is only a few hours at most. I didn't charge for 8 hours and my battery life is so-so. So, charge for 8 hours, overnight, and DON'T even touch it, until 8 hours is up. Then you'll have maximum battery efiiciency.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    obs - the TF has a Li-Polymer not Li-ion. the Li-P are supposed to be better, but I agree, it is best to plug it in for the 8 and wait (as hard as that was) and I have to do it again when my replacement gets here later this week.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links