Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By red_five

Thread: Please give me tips for getting most use of Transformer during extended trip

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times

Please give me tips for getting most use of Transformer during extended trip

I have a TF101 and just ordered the keyboard dock for it.

I'm in the middle of starting my own business (opening a franchise) and I have to go out of the state for 6 weeks of training next Monday.
    During this time I will have a million things to do. Orders to place, applications to sign, bank issues to deal with.

I'm only taking my Transformer, no laptop, no printer, no scanner.

Please offer tips if you've been in a similar situation. I want to maximize what I can do without having to go out and buy a laptop.
    I just installed CamScanner and will get the paid version if I like it.

If I want to use a digitized signature and paste it into documents, PDF them, and email them back out, what apps would you suggest?
    I have Documents to go installed. Is there a PDF editor that would allow me to superimpose my signature and re-render the PDF?

Thanks!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    For the PDF, try ezPDF. The signatures will probably look like an "UPS sign"... but it's possible to do it.
    (using "flatten").

dvdcatalyst
    Hi Mitch,

congrats on your own business, I hope all goes well for you.

My suggestion might not be what you would expect, but it will save you a lot of aggravation.

Pick up a laptop, even if it is a used one from a pawn shop or a charity place, or borrow one from family.

For most of the things you need to do, the TF (or any other Android tablet or iPad even) is capable of doing it, but you will likely run into some complications. Websites don't get rendered properly, or certain features don't work correctly. Installing a few different web browsers might fix that, but I think for the most part you would be spending more time in trying to get it to work than to actually work, and during a 6 week training session, I'm sure you have other things to do.

I've tried it numerous times, using a tablet to do something like replying to support emails, even picked up a bluetooth keyboard to make it easier, tried splashtop to remote to my pc to do it that way, but in the end, it takes me a minute to do it on a PC, while it takes me 5-6 to do on a tablet.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    Use SignMyPad for signing PDFs. It lets you save your own signature, have other people sign on the fly, add dates and free-form text, all in either black or blue. It'll save the edited PDFs locally, then allow you to email them or send them to Dropbox. I occasionally do contract jobs where I have to have step-by-step documentation as well as work orders, and the last couple I did I took only my TF101 and a stylus. I was able to get all of the signatures I needed and add job notes right on the tablet, and email everything to the necessary folks at the end of the job.

If some of the docs you need to sign are Word docs (DOC, DOCX, ODT, OTT, or RTF), Word To PDF can help here. It'll convert those formats to PDF, which you can then bring into SignMyPDF. I think they also have a variation for spreadsheets (Excel To PDF; XLS, XLSX, XLT, ODS, OTS, SXC, STC), PowerPoint (PowerPoint To PDF; PPT, PPTX, DOP, STP, SXI, STI, POT, SXD, ODG), and a combined app (Office Converter) which will handle all 3 types (based on the file types, they also support OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice). They do require an internet connection to convert, as they work sorta like Amazon's Kindle converter system, but they're free.
    zAlbee likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    23 times
    Leave a laptop, netbook or nettop running and set your router to forward port 3389 to it. That way you can RDP into your home computer if you need anything.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links