Thread: A bigger phone

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

A bigger phone

I got my transformer yesterday and played with it all night. I come to realize that it is exactly the same as my cell phone since google syncs everything! This is awesome, however, at the same time I feel like I don't have enough reasons to justify why I need a bigger device that is similar to my phone. Why not get a laptop instead? What do you guys use your tablets for? Maybe I am just new to the tablets game.
    Last edited by svu; 07-14-2011 at 12:14 PM.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    For me, it comes down to portability. Sure, with the keyboard dock it is almost a netbook, but it is also touchscreen. And it can function without the keyboard if I want to make it smaller. I found that when I got my iPhone, I was using a laptop less and less for things like surfing the web and facebook. I figured I would enjoy a larger screen, which is the biggest reason I wanted the TF. Surf the web and chat on facebook and then go back to your phone to do the same. It is a different ball game (I know for my case it is iOS vs Honeycomb) and text entry on the larger tablet is much faster without the dock. Also you can watch movies (not Netflix yet....) on the TF which are much larger than on your phone and more enjoyable.

It can do most things a laptop can, and it has IMO much better battery life.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I would second just about everything that Fred said (remember Right Said Fred??). For me, reading all of the RSS feeds, many of the news sources (News360 is AWESOME) are just so much better with the Transformer. I almost never use my phone for that stuff anymore, and use my laptop much less as a result. As I am still in grad school, I write my papers on the laptop, but for sitting on the couch, reading a book, etc...it's the Transformer for me. I was like you, I didn't know why I got it initially as I thought I would try it and send it back if I didn't like it, but it has become quite the reverse for me, especially when I travel to Europe, etc. Oh, and don't forget Google +....
    "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Since I was primarily using my phone (also Android) to read books/listen to music/youtube vids, having a larger screen is much more beneficial. The phone's nice to have when I'm not at a wireless point/don't want to use work wireless/standing in a long line.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    For me it has been a replacement to paper. I'm in sales and printed about 20-30 pages of daily information that I need to have with me throughout the day, along with PDF catalogs, Excel spreadsheets and Word docs. Now I just 'print to PDF', save a tree and the high cost of ink. I started with the Nook Color (rooted), but felt I would appreciate the faster processor and larger screen on the TF, of which I do! I still use my android phone for brief looks at email and phone calls. Wifi for the tablet is just fine, I would be disappointed with 3G service anyway.

As time goes on, I can see that my Phone is just a 'phone'.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that tablets don't really serve a purpose. Certainly not for anyone who likes to create information (and by that I mean stuff like Facebook updates). After using a tablet for an hour or two, I can't wait to get back to my laptop.

Tablets are so passive. You just sit and look and listen. That's fine, up to a point, but eventually it drives you nuts and you are gagging for a "proper" computer.

But they are portable. Good for certain niche uses, like showing off photos or giggling at YouTube videos. I took one to a conference recently, and it was ideal for that sort of thing. But don't leave your laptop at home if you plan to do anything serious.

I think Chromebooks will sink tablets.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Bobby, tablets are quite capable of doing facebook updates, blogging, word processing, excel, presentations, twitter, etc. I create lots of things from my tablet, including most of my posts on this forum as well as 95% or more of my facebook updates. Just curious why you feel this way.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    I love and use my tablet because it is so portable! You find me a laptop that can do all the things a tablet does and last for a good 8 hours! The fact you can dock it as well is just brilliant, now I've found one that is actually working!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    My phone is too small and my laptop is a desktop replacement so the TF fills a niche in between them nicely.
    Asus TF 101 32 GB
    Asus GX72GX
    Asus X58 Sabertooth MB

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Works great for me but maybe not for everyone

If you dont find the tablet filling a void or making your life easier thats okay. They are probably not for everyone and if you spend a lot of time creating they are not as easy to use as laptops for sure (even though as mentioned you can effectively create most things with them). I find for my purposes (email, viewing docs, surfing the web, movies, reading books and magazines, viewing pictures and videos, all on 10 inch screen) it works well for me. The best thing is having access to all of my work files in a 1.5 pound package. That said, I do know people who bought and sold their tablets because it could'nt effectively replace what they were using and what they were using it for. Give it a shot and see if it works for you or not.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links