Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Full Backup including OS

Hey guys, Just got my new TF101 for my B'Day and the first thing I want to do, which is the first thing I always do with a new build, is a full backup of the OS and installed progies. On windows, I use Acronis, easy! with Honeycomb I can't for the life of me find an app that will do it. From what I can see, there are apps to do backups of apps etc, but nothing that can do what I want! I actually hooked up to my PC and copied everything to an external folder, but that won't backup the kernal,.. or will it? Is there anything out there that will do it? Thanks

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have just recently installed an ftp server on my unit to easily put files onto it via my home network...
    and when I log in, it doesn't just show my "sdcard" folder, but all the folders on the same level as it (the actual root folder of the device),
    including the system files. I would be willing to bet that backing all this up would do the trick, but I certainly cannot guarantee it!

The ftp server I use is swiftp, available on the market. Make sure that you share the '/' folder (default), basically meaning the highest level available. It's the same level as when you see the two folders, sdcard and removable in the file manager, but the file manager does not show any of the other stuff, so it must be the honeycomb equivalent of hidden file and folders.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hmm, I'm thinking it works like an MP3 player where the system files are hidden and you need a hack to access them! It would certainly help if an expert could step up on this. I certainly don't want to have to root a new device so I can back it up! I certainly appreciate your help though. I think it's going to be awhile before I get the hang of this little beast. Thanks

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Welcome to the forum!!!

What you need to do to make a full recovery image is root your TF and then flash Clockwork Recovery. This is not as easy as installing and running an app. There are risks associated with rooting and flashing. There is information and several guides in the Development section.

Asus Transformer Development

But please before jumping in to it you read and read again to fully understand what you are doing.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok thanks Garemlin, I hope you understand where I'm coming from with this, I'm used to having the security of being able to recover a catastrophic failure, and some control over how that happens!
    Will I be able to un-root the device after, and still retain the warranty! Ta
    Oh and by the way if that's your bike, very nice! What is it, Harley or Honda
    Last edited by EckyThump; 07-14-2011 at 03:41 PM.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Ecky,

It is definitely possible to unroot your TF if there is a warranty issue. Check the Development part that Garemlin posted and there are many threads about rooting and unrooting as there have been many different was to do it. And I am pretty sure that is a Harley.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that!
    Yeah I have a feeling it is a Harley, the headlights are a bit of a give-away

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EckyThump View Post
    Ok thanks Garemlin, I hope you understand where I'm coming from with this, I'm used to having the security of being able to recover a catastrophic failure, and some control over how that happens!
    Will I be able to un-root the device after, and still retain the warranty! Ta
    Oh and by the way if that's your bike, very nice! What is it, Harley or Honda

First it is a Harley and thanks for the compliment.

As Frederuco said you can unroot as easily as you root. But I will put this out there for no reason other than it is fact. Rooting voids your warranty. But as long as you don't get into a situation that you have to send it back to Asus unable to unroot it first you have nothing to worry about.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the help and advice, this forum is certainly a far cry from some of the others I've used, in quite a lot, the 'Moderators' don't even bother to say G'Day. Is this an Australian site? there's no .au, but it would explain the timely responses.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EckyThump View Post
    Thanks for the help and advice, this forum is certainly a far cry from some of the others I've used, in quite a lot, the 'Moderators' don't even bother to say G'Day. Is this an Australian site? there's no .au, but it would explain the timely responses.

LOL. Not Aussie but we are a melting pot for sure. We have members from all around the globe. And we help out when we can as timely as we can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links