Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times

TF 101 obsolete?

Hi everyone,

Groupon Goods has TF 101 (16gb) WITH keyboard dock for under $300. My question is, even at that great price, is it worth it? Will I be able to get a good 2+ years of use out of it? Since it (probably) will not be getting Jellybean, apparently, should I just consider it as good as done and save my pennies for an Infinity (my first choice, if money were no object...which it is), even though I probably won't be able to afford the dock (which is a shame)??

My needs: I want to move away from laptops/netbooks and start shifting into a nice(-ish) desktop for home, and tablet for on the go. I want the tablet to be fairly productivity-friendly, and it'll need to last me 2-3 years. I'll be using it for Office-like functions (especially projecting Powerpoints), for Japanese-language study on the interwebs (hoping the Rikai browser comes to Android soon), and for general productivity. Naturally, I'll use it for games and streaming Netflix as well, but that is not the primary purpose. I am a grad student and a Teaching Assistant (and use Powerpoints every day in class), and will likely want it to be functional for some form of TBD professional use when I have a "real" job in the future.

My main concerns: how will the Tegra 2 hold up over time (especially with newer apps in the future). Is the 1ghz processor going to be sufficient? How long do people estimate Ice Cream Sandwich will be sufficient, if future updates aren't supported? I don't want to be a year into it and find the system chugging and slow.

So, will the TF101 be OK, or should I really hold out for the Prime or Infinity (which really means the Infinity for me, I think)? Thanks for your (timely) responses!!

Ryan
    Last edited by MushiBushi; 09-10-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I dont think apps will make the tf01 obselete not for many years. Apps tend to be basic. There will be newer and better tablets but that is the nature of the game. You will buy the current tablet and it may or may not get jellybean or they will expect you to buy a new one. Ice cream sandwich didnt make much of a difference to my experience but the manufacturers know that people will chase and pay big money for the newest updates. Video playback will improve i'd have thought but not much else unless you want to play more advanced games of which there will be a handful

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    I probably won't be playing very advanced games. Not that I wouldn't enjoy them, but it's not my purpose for this device (a few time-killers would be fine). A friend gave me his old iPhone 3g a few months back, and I've found that there are an increasing number of apps I can't get for it, so that's what had me concerned. Granted, most are games, but still, it is a disappointing, but totally expected, trend. Can't complain, since it was free. However, I don't want to burn $300 on something that will be unsupported and fading fast in a year.

I guess my biggest concern is whether the Tegra 3 is so much better that I'll regret the Tegra 2 in the mid- to long-run.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    10 times

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by MushiBushi View Post
    I guess my biggest concern is whether the Tegra 3 is so much better that I'll regret the Tegra 2 in the mid- to long-run.
    Bang! you got that right.
    You see, The Original Transformer will never be obsolete for those who rely on the product to do their basic things they were used to on their laptops/desktops/netbooks/crapple products... by that I mean, surfing the net, listen to their music *(I love doing this with my Bluetooth headphone), take some pictures, use the GPS, Office files editing, reading AND casual, non-THD gaming. This is because nVidia has tagged our Tegra 2 processor as obsolete for quite some time now and it seems Tegra 3 is also going to be replaced with a better, higher clocked, LTE Supported (include support for Nvidia's Icera 500 or Icera 410) GREY processor. In other words, for those who just don't care what's the next big processor from nVidia, the Transformer can be your mate for years.

*hug my tablet*
    Frederuco likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    14 times
    I guess it depends on what you want to do with your tablet. I have had mine for quite some time and plan on using it for a few more years.

I do not pretend it is a laptop but use it to check my mail and surf the web. At night I sometimes lay in bed and watch a movie.

For that it will last a long time before it needs to be upgraded.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you're not opposed to rooting your TF101, you can be running Jellybean on it right now. I've rooted mine and have installed the TeamEOS Jellybean ROM - soooooo much smoother than ICS, Google Now works, and the only issue I've had so far is the face unlock feature doesn't work.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    2 times
    Like Richard said it all depends on what you do with it. An example I can think of is Digital camera. When a newer model comes out, mind you they come out pretty fast, does it mean the old one will not take good pictures? I hope not.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times

Re: TF 101 obsolete?

The 101 has better specs then most of the tablets on the market today. I've gamed on mine and it was fine. Got Max Payne and no issues at all. I would take a 101 over a nexus 7 no joke! If that deal was 250 or less without the dock I would pick one up for each of my kids. I could give a rip less about dock.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    7 times
    If you want your tablet to do mainly productivity works then even the Infinity is already "obsolete". The Office experience on Android sucks compared to a full blown PC with fully functional office suites. Yes you can do basic stuffs like viewing some documents, editing some spreadsheets, but to actually create full, format-heavy Office stuffs then sorry, the apps on tablets are not designed for it (yet). I haven't been able to find an Android office suite that can PLAY MS PowerPoint slideshows properly.
    I do admit that tablets have surpassed PC in some areas (ex. entertainment and keeping-in-touch purposes). If you're fed up with your boring windows and fancy a change then you can buy any one of the Transformer line (all of them are great tablets ), but don't expect them to replace your PC in productivity works.
    MushiBushi likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Wommaster, that was really helpful. Short term, being able to play powerpoints is crucial for me. As for productivity, I don't want to overstate that. Basic document creation and spreadsheets (in addition to playing the Powerpoints) is all I'll be doing, no heavy formatting--it's just that I may be doing a fair amount of it. However, typing in Japanese would also be a huge game-changer; not a deal breaker, but a huge benefit, if I can. I imagine with the dock that I can do those basic productivity tasks easily enough.

I don't expect it to replace a PC or laptop, I want it to be a more-portable device that can get me by when thickness/weight are issues. For that, your comments were very helpful.

All of that said, the price was too good, so I pulled the proverbial trigger. I guess I'll have to do some more research for office apps. I can return it if I don't find anything, and it won't be here for a couple of weeks anyway. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links