Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best shot at tethering?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Best shot at tethering?

Before I got my TF I saw a video on Youtube of someone tethering the EeePad to an iPhone. Cool, I thought, I have an old symbian laying around and I can use as a BT modem for the tablet.
    Well, from what I've seen here and elsewhere, that's is not possible, since Symbian phones lack bt PAN profile, and Honeycomb doesn't support BT DUN (damn Google!). I resorted to my other phone, a Motorola Milestone (GSM version of the Droid)... and I discovered Motorola has chopped out the native tethering. I tried an app from Market (Wireless Tether) but it simply didn't work.

So, I'd like to know if someone here can help me: what is the best shot I've got to tethering? I can try a custom ROM on my Milestone or simply buy a second phone just for that. I'd rather use BT tethering because of the phone's battery life. Are there any cheap phones that can do this? Perhaps an older Windows Mobile phone (oh the irony!)?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Nokia C2-01 and Nokia X3-01 does that for 80 and 129 both have the bt PAN, sure there are more Nokia having that but the 2 phones have a full 3G modem build-in for that money to..

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I took a look at the manual/USer guide from Nokia C2-01 and found the following regarding BT:

This device is compliant with Bluetooth Specification 2.1 + EDR supporting the following
    profiles: generic access, hands-free, headset, object push, file transfer, dial-up
    networking, serial port, SIM access, generic object exchange, advanced audio
    distribution, audio video remote control, and generic audio video distribution. To
    ensure interoperability between other devices supporting Bluetooth technology, use
    Nokia approved accessories for this model. Check with the manufacturers of other
    devices to determine their compatibility with this device.
    It says nothing about PAN. Is there more than one model of the device? I am just afraid to buy it and find that it doesn't work. Perhaps PAN is not documented?
    Last edited by Wooky; 07-13-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: grammar correction

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This may not help ..but here goes..... I downloaded and installed the free app below

Free JoikuSpot Light WiFi HotSpot for Nokia N8, E7, C7, C6-01, E51, E52, E55, E60, E61, E61i, E63, E65, E66, E71, E72, E73, E75, E90, N78, N79, N80, N81, N81 8GB, N82, N85, N86, N91, N93, N93i, N95, N95 8GB, N96, N97, 5800 and many more phone models

it works really well when I use windows laptop however ..................Android do not support adhoc wifi ....so, in order to get round the problem

1. I need to "root" my transformer
    2. Then download a small patch from the XDA here tethering hack for android - xda-developers....

and that should be problem solved !!!! seems a lot of bother to go to though

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    You could also buy a cheap Android phone and tehter with that. I've tried tethering with my Orange San Francisco, and it works a treat. Alternatively why no get a cheap MiFi device?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well its nice to see someone else is having a tethering problem. I had the problem with tether to my Motorola Milestone also but in the end had it working great. I came to the solution of rooting my phone to Cyanogen Mod and installed Open Garden Wifi Tether (yes, it sounds gay). This gives out your data plan as a ad-hoc network, but because of the lack of ad-hoc network support in android I found an alternitve. I discovered that the app also allows for Bluetooth tethering also. I enabled the function, paired them, and changed the setting on my tablet to allow internet use over Bluetooth

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, I managed to tether it to the Milestone via BT using PDA Net Beta for Tablet. It still somewhat crude, it works by activating a proxy on the tablet, but it does work. I'd rather use BT than Wifi because of battery life. I'll consider whether to buy a Nokia C2-01 (couldn't find anywhere a place that says it has PAN, and since there are different versions of the same phone, I'm afraid to buy and have to return it) or to stay with the Milestone as my tethering solution.
    One use I'd have for tethering is for use in the car, with google maps/nav. That is why I am so concerned with battery life, it won't help much if the Eee lasts for 8h but the phone just for a couple.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    You'll be pleased to hear that Google Maps 5.7 supports much better pre-caching of maps, so you should be less dependent on tethering in the very near future. At the moment, I'm hanging on to my Nokia N8 for sat nav use only, for just this very reason.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, I'm totally frustrated! Received my TF last friday and I'm loving it. Tried to connect to my rooted Samsung Continuum and it's a "no go". Tried Bluetooth, "no go". On my Continuum, I used "Wireless Tether" for Ipod touch, works great. Even my laptop works for it. Tried the "Open Garden Wifi Tether", no go. What am I doing wrong???

On Bluetooth, I can connect and send a file but it shows, "paired but not connected".

Anybody! This is driving me crazy.

fyi: Running 3.1

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    An HTC HD2 with Android 2.3 custom rom is what I have been using. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooky View Post
    Before I got my TF I saw a video on Youtube of someone tethering the EeePad to an iPhone. Cool, I thought, I have an old symbian laying around and I can use as a BT modem for the tablet.
    Well, from what I've seen here and elsewhere, that's is not possible, since Symbian phones lack bt PAN profile, and Honeycomb doesn't support BT DUN (damn Google!). I resorted to my other phone, a Motorola Milestone (GSM version of the Droid)... and I discovered Motorola has chopped out the native tethering. I tried an app from Market (Wireless Tether) but it simply didn't work.

So, I'd like to know if someone here can help me: what is the best shot I've got to tethering? I can try a custom ROM on my Milestone or simply buy a second phone just for that. I'd rather use BT tethering because of the phone's battery life. Are there any cheap phones that can do this? Perhaps an older Windows Mobile phone (oh the irony!)?
    Transformer, iPad 2, Asus Netbook
    Mac Pro, iPhone 4, Mac Mini
    Custom Built PC (AMD)
    Hp TouchPad , Vizio Tablet
    HTC HD2 Cynogenmod, Nabi Tablet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links