Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Searching for posts here and Posting to forums

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Searching for posts here and Posting to forums

I need some help understanding how I can view posts through my using advanced search. When I request a search for posts only, all I get is threads....What am I doing wrong?

Also, PLEASE...Post with explicit Titles, instead of some generic "I need help", or "keyboard"...the titles are there to help us all find posts of interests or to be able to get/give help.

Thanks,

Chas

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Generic thread titles have always been a pet peeve of mine. I always tell people to try to be descriptive in their thread titles so people searching for the same issue have an easier time finding existing threads. Also with a descriptive title more people will look at your thread and not pass it by.

On other helpful feature is the tag option at the bottom. When posting a new thread tag it. It actually does help.

Hesynergy: If you want to search posts and not just thread titles when you go to advancne search go to "Search For", enter a keyword and make sure "Search Entire Posts" is selected.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    [QUOTE=Garemlin;18294]Hesynergy: If you want to search posts and not just thread titles when you go to advancne search go to "Search For", enter a keyword and make sure "Search Entire Posts" is selected. /quote]

'Preciate it guy, but it's not the search, it's the presentation. I've seen crippled results from other searches in other sites. The good ones will ONLY present the posts, if that is what you asked for, not the threads....this capabily is available in Vbulletin, but it is not implented by this site owner/admin...NB Xda Devs site has this capability implemented, and they too use VBulletin.

Chas
    Last edited by Hesynergy; 07-05-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: de-dumb-assing

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    That might explain why XDA is so slow for me whenever I go there. It takes way too long to open. So IF that is the reason then by all means let's make no changes!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    XDa Devs is not slow for me....but then I've found that Firefox or Omobile...is speedy..I am SURE its not about their search capabilities, or the lack of them here, and I sure don't want to have to go through each thread to find the post I was interested in. It's not rocket science, nor will it slow things down.....It will make the search results here much more in the "Big boy arena". Data is worthless if you can't find it or have to go thru hundreds of posts that have nothing to do with your search parameters to find what you were looking for!

Chas
    Last edited by Hesynergy; 07-05-2011 at 08:16 AM.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Once you get a thread opened there is a Thread Tools menu at the top that allows you to search the thread for keyword(s) to help expedite your search in a thread.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Once you get a thread opened there is a Thread Tools menu at the top that allows you to search the thread for keyword(s) to help expedite your search in a thread.
    True, but you shouldn't have to do that if you select "posts" and not "threads"

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
    True, but you shouldn't have to do that if you select "posts" and not "threads"
    ZAKLY, Spartan, XDA, immediately upon hitting the search button sez "show posts or threads..
    That's why I tend to spend more time there than here...SEARCH POSTS! SHOW ONLY POSTS....simple.
    Last edited by Hesynergy; 07-08-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: de-dumb-assing

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesynergy View Post
    ZAKLY, Spartan, XDA, immediately upon hitting the search button sez "show posts or threads..
    That's why I tend to spend more time there than here...SEARCH POSTS! SHOW ONLY POSTS....simple.
    The nuts and bolts of how a forum operates is out of my league but I will forward your message on to one of the administrators. I am sure that no system, including XDA's is perfect so let us see if this is something we can adjust or not. Heck anything we can do to make the forum better is always good news!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    6 times
    Click on Advanced Search - Change Search Type to "Single Search" -- enter keywords, near bottom click "Show results as posts" and voila, if I'm understanding your question right?
    Mickeylittle likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links