Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Only for TF Infinity?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdlf2048 View Post
    Only for TF Infinity?
    No.

"PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
    AC ADAPTER for ASUS Compatible with: ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 TF700T, ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201, ASUS Eee Pad Slider SL101, and other ASUS tablets.
    Input: 100-240 VAC"

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    It's morning, and I've just found out that the tablet end of my TF700 charger, which was not plugged in the computer, has melted!

Would contacting ASUS for a new charger do any good in this case, or do they just dismiss such claims?

charger.jpg

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 12ruby21 View Post
    It's morning, and I've just found out that the tablet end of my TF700 charger, which was not plugged in the computer, has melted!

Would contacting ASUS for a new charger do any good in this case, or do they just dismiss such claims?

charger.jpg
    ouch sounds like you could be in for another $30.... In my opinion they ought to AT LEAST send you a free charger!!!

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    anyone aware of a charger that could deliver 2 amps? and would the transformer melt or would it just recharge real quick?

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times

Re: My charger melted!

Quote Originally Posted by davioh View Post
    anyone aware of a charger that could deliver 2 amps? and would the transformer melt or would it just recharge real quick?
    Most likely it will only deliver the 1-1.2 Amps. Devices will only draw as much power as they need, even if you give it more.

My iPhone came with a 5 VDC 1/2 Amp charger. It takes 4 hours to charge. If I use an iPad charger (5 VDC and 2 Amps) it charges in about 2 hours. Yes, it charges quicker, but not 4x quicker as it cannot utilize the full 2 amps to cut down to 1 hour charge time.

Also, I use an unregulated 12-14 VDC USB charger with a 2 Amp fuse in my car (basically, USB port is just wired straight through to the raw power of the power adapter of the car). My tablet does not charge any quicker on that as opposed to the wall wart even though it can take 14 VDC and 2 Amps (28 watts) as opposed to the 15 VDC and 1.2 Amps (18 Watts) of the wall wart.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    82 times

Re: My charger melted!

Quote Originally Posted by davioh View Post
    ouch sounds like you could be in for another $30.... In my opinion they ought to AT LEAST send you a free charger!!!
    Davioh,
    I would suggest anything other than replacing the charger with another Asus unit. I had a similar thing but far less demonstrative, happen to my Asus charger for our Prime 201. The unit was only about two months old at the time, and the charger did indeed get hot (very hot, you would not want to hold it in your hand for over a couple of seconds) when charging the keyboard dock and tablet. One day it just quit. I searched this forum and others including product reviews on Amazon. The put it in the freezer, bend the pins etc. did nothing for my charger. I came to the conclusion that Asus products as a whole are quite reliable. But, unfortunately, that does not extend to their charger used on the transformer products. I purchased a charger on Ebay for 1/3 the cost of an Asus charger. It has worked very well for over six months. It charges two transformers and their associated keyboard docks. My wife liked the Prime 201 and I saw a chance of getting myself an Infinity 700 (good excuse, right). The charger from Ebay has been charging both of the transformers and their docks. I would not even chance using the new Asus charger that came with the Infinity 700. The Ebay charger does its job very well and does not get hot. As a matter of fact it does not even get warm.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IdaUte View Post
    Davioh,
    I would suggest anything other than replacing the charger with another Asus unit. I had a similar thing but far less demonstrative, happen to my Asus charger for our Prime 201. The unit was only about two months old at the time, and the charger did indeed get hot (very hot, you would not want to hold it in your hand for over a couple of seconds) when charging the keyboard dock and tablet. One day it just quit. I searched this forum and others including product reviews on Amazon. The put it in the freezer, bend the pins etc. did nothing for my charger. I came to the conclusion that Asus products as a whole are quite reliable. But, unfortunately, that does not extend to their charger used on the transformer products. I purchased a charger on Ebay for 1/3 the cost of an Asus charger. It has worked very well for over six months. It charges two transformers and their associated keyboard docks. My wife liked the Prime 201 and I saw a chance of getting myself an Infinity 700 (good excuse, right). The charger from Ebay has been charging both of the transformers and their docks. I would not even chance using the new Asus charger that came with the Infinity 700. The Ebay charger does its job very well and does not get hot. As a matter of fact it does not even get warm.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    well since his charger melted and I doubt asus will send him a competitor's charger I guess he will just have to swallow the extra cost? It may seem petty but I'd be pretty upset with ASUS if it happened to me!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TG (3G)
    Liked
    0 times
    I had the charger for my TF300TG fail after nearly a year. It just stopped charging one day.
    At the time, I had managed to shut the cable in a desk drawer and nick the outer sheath of the charging cable, so I blamed that and got the Asus support people to send me a new cable.
    The new cable duly arrived, and I found that it would only charge the tablet at a snail-pace, after 5 hours it was still less than half charged.
    Sent the whole set back to Asus support, and they sent it back to me with a fresh charger. All go again and has done so now for another 14 months without incident.
    Having as I do some idea of how the electronics works, I offer the following FWIW :
    The chargers do run quite hot. I'd guess that there is a wee transformer in there to provide galvanic isolation between input and output, but this and the associated switching electronics are being run as hot as Asus dared to let them so as to get the design into such a small package. The advice would be to only plug them in where there is plenty of airflow, and don't let them get covered up while operating. While we have seen now that some of these chargers can get hot enough melt their cases, this is still a long way from there being enough heat to start a fire, and I would be a bit surprised if this was at all likely.
    The chargers do have an overheat guard built in. They appear to have two charge modes - slow and fast, and if the charger get too hot, it will drop back into slow mode which will take 12+ hours to charge the tablet battery.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links