Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By leeshor

Thread: Another Battery Drain Issue (sorry)

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Another Battery Drain Issue (sorry)

Hi all, apologies for starting a new thread on a common issue but after a search I cant find the exact same issue elsewhere.

Since the last update my TF has been spot on (apart from the broken screen which is my own fault). However in the last few days I have encountered a battery drain issue which I would appreciate some advice on.

The battery is draining much faster than it should (last night the dock lost 60% whilst in standby)

I always ensure wifi etc is switched off before closing.

When checking the battery usage an item called media seems to be the main culprit, this is closely followed by the idle process. I have no idea why these would be using so much battery, can anyone help?

CPU spy indicates the tablet is getting into deep sleep, it just doesn't seem to stay there.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    I continue to use the (free) Auto Airplane Mode app, from the play store.

That way, anytime the tablet's screen is off? It goes into airplane mode, which shuts down all wireless activity. This has the effect that on the rare days I do not open the tablet*, I typically have 99% on the dock's battery, and 95% (or better) on the tab's battery after a whole day off the charger.

I think the problem comes from really, really poorly written apps that depend on advertising for revenue. These poorly written applications are being loaded in the background** will actually wake up your tablet, in order to fetch new advertising.

Blocking that with Auto Airplane mode seems to work quite well.

The only downside I can determine? Is that I don't get GMail updates until I actually open the screen/wake up the tablet. To me, that's a non-issue, as I mainly use my Android smartphone for GMail anyway (and it's constantly on).

I understand there are apps out there, which can selectively block other apps from accessing the WiFi-- but I think you need root for these to work. I haven't tried them, as AA just works for me.

Good luck!

* I have a dock, so I turn on the screen/wake it up, by opening it from the keyboard-- I have the screen lock disabled to simplify this too.

** Android seems to loathe not having programs running in the background for some reason.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a couple of apps that let me manually switch wifi and airplane mode on/off, assumed they would do the same job? I had the auto airplane app but it stopped working correctly so I uninstalled it.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by itchyeyeballs View Post
    I have a couple of apps that let me manually switch wifi and airplane mode on/off, assumed they would do the same job? I had the auto airplane app but it stopped working correctly so I uninstalled it.
    In my opinion AAM should be all you need and makes the job of turning the WiFi on and off automatic. The only thing that can mess that up is an app that is only suspended, not really closed. Music players, some browser you may have left open are suspect.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Is there an easy way to make sure all apps are closed? The standard Asus widget is flaky and very rarely seems to clean up all when I press the button.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Is there an easy way to make sure all apps are closed? The standard Asus widget is flaky and very rarely seems to clean up all when I press the button.
    I have been pretty suspicious of that app from the beginning. What I do is hold the power button long enough for my TF to restart. That's the easy way, but honestly I'm trying to find the real problem and solve it. But the restart is surefire and easy.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ah restart sounds like a good idea, how long do I have to hold the button for mine just switches off if I hold it down.

I think I may have one suspect now from your tip on rouge apps. The battery drain seems to have coincided with an update to HD widgets.. I just downloaded a task killer and this app seems to keep restarting itself after it is closed.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Ah restart sounds like a good idea, how long do I have to hold the button for mine just switches off if I hold it down.

I think I may have one suspect now from your tip on rouge apps. The battery drain seems to have coincided with an update to HD widgets.. I just downloaded a task killer and this app seems to keep restarting itself after it is closed.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated
    Active widgets or an over abundance of widgets can put a drag on your system. Hold the button for about 30 seconds. A tap puts it to sleep 3-4 seconds offers to shut down, but continuing to hold it restarts.

T68
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Just a bump on this thread. I just installed HD Widgets and discovered that it seems to drain battery.

I fiddled a little with widget settings for about 5 minutes or so and then put the tablet down. 10 mins later when I checked battery info HD Widgets had already used 13% on an uptime of 2.5 hours.
    Seems like a lot to me. Got the widget set to update weather every 4 hours.

Anyone else experienced this with HD widgets. If it has drain issues itīs a pity since itīs the best weather widget around, I think. And it cost money too :-).

But I gladly take suggestions about other good weather widgets that also display full forecasts when clicked.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    HD Widgets is a huge battery drain. I just thought my battery sucked, but I installed betterbatterystats and it was waking my TF101 up SO MUCH. I uninstalled it and switched to Beautiful Widgets and I'm getting much better battery life. That said, I do like the widgets that A HD Widgets has, I just don't think it's worth the huge battery trade-off.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links