Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 2.X
    Liked
    17 times

TF101 Docking station... pros/cons?

ok, so im starting to think i want the docking station... but i have heard some things... about battery drain,, the mouse touch pad is too sensitive.. or not sensitive enough..
    the keys are too cramped... so...

If you have one of these fancy 101 docking station keyboard deals..
    what do you like about um?

what do you not like about um?

need a bit of info...

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scuzzo View Post
    ok, so im starting to think i want the docking station... but i have heard some things... about battery drain,, the mouse touch pad is too sensitive.. or not sensitive enough..
    the keys are too cramped... so...

If you have one of these fancy 101 docking station keyboard deals..
    what do you like about um?

what do you not like about um?

need a bit of info...
    If you get the dock, it's more of a plus for me, back up battery 6 hrs. at least, Full USB, and SD port, you can plug in a mouse which I do in the USB. What else can I say?
    rcca
    TF Prime 201 tablet CG-Dock Grey ICS .13 No reboots-no crashes so far.
    Ser. BCOKAS1****
    Netgear 4500 2.4 ch 11
    Belkin Extender, love it, 40' was 1 bar 80 dBM, link 5 Mbps, now 2-3 bars 57dBm link speed 72Mbps

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Got to say the docking station is well made with a very usable keyboard and the SD card slot is handy for transferring pictures form digi camera, but after i got a usb adapter for the tablet i now rarely use my dock as i plug my thumb drives and hard drives direct into tab via adapter.

I tend to consume media far more than i create so the dock does not get the use it deserves but if you do a lot of typing or you are going to be away from a power supply for any extended period its a must.

Jason.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    Posted by Jason a proud Asus Transformer and HTC Desire owner and user.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    23 times
    The mouse pad is nice for the sake of familiarity, but it's really not something you'd use often.

When the tablet was working, i used it a lot. And it's what keeps the tablet running with almost no down time. The only time i had to put the tablet down long enough to plug in and recharge is when i sleep. Other than that, it takes its charge from the dock.

Contrary to benchmarks, constant browsing uses more power than playing videos, a few hours of browsing with the Wifi on and outdoor brightness will drain the tablet rather fast. Which means you'll need to put it down to recharge. On the Transformer any time you're not actively using it is a chance for you to re-dock it and gets itself topped up from the dock. You wake up, use it for browsing for a half hour while you're getting ready for work, pack it in your bag with the dock and have it re-charge while you're going through the morning rush. Some more browsing and online checking while in the hour long trip in the people carrier (And waiting for it to leave) with the brightness up to counter the morning sun streaming through the window. Have the dock recharge it again when you get to work, re-use it again during lunch, or when answering emails (I don't have personal emails and facebook logged in at the work PC). And then when i get home, only the dock has to go to the wall while i use the tablet for the rest of the night and re-dock it when i go to sleep.

This was my daily habit up 'til the docking latch broke See my other thread regarding the status of the latch

During a family trip, the battery on my phone ran out (AP mode), and i actually used the dock to re-charge it.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    I LOVED the dock on the TF101 (not so much TF201).

The mouse pad does tend to get "tapped" when typing, which causes the cursor to jump wildly, but there's a handy on/off button for it which easily solves that problem. Having a keyboard attached to a tablet greatly increases the functionality - that's one of the biggest pluses for Asus over Apple - and the extra battery is nice to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    ive found that when taking tab from home when docked gives added protection for the screen even when in carry case

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree that the dock is really worth the price, surprisingly due to the fact that it forms such a nice protective shell for the glass screen. Beyond that, the keyboard is okay. It's less responsive than the Prime's keyboard, but it's usable. I found the mousepad to be very handy when using apps like Pixelesque and SPC, but for most activities it's not really needed.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    To me, there's no cons to the dock, i use the TF101 as a computer running Linux and this is what i planned when i bought it.

I'm also thinking of asking someone to mod a dock i will buy for this matter to add an ssd or an hard drive to it, because i'll be short on storage since i use it for proffesional purpose.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links