Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Help! My Asus won't even turn on!

The "honeymoon" period seems to be coming to an end. I'm starting to have little issues here and there. I've had my tablet for about 7 months and just when I start to feel a little more confident about what I'm doing, something goes haywire and I feel lost (and pretty much alone--thank goodness for this forum).

I got home from work tonight and as per usual, I go to turn on my tablet. Although it appears I may have left it slightly open all day so I see a black screen with a battery icon in the middle--although instead of seeing a typical battery icon when I initially plug in the charger, this time the right 1/5th or so is red (battery icon) and then it goes completely black.

I plug it in for awhile (step away from the tablet) and don't go back to it for an hour or so. I pick it up again, try to turn it on and the best I can get is the very quick flash of that battery with the red being red, and then black. Now I can't get it to do anything.

Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong. I don't even know if my warranty is good (could it be a year?)...but I'm started to feel my Asus is not quite as reliable as I once considered it to be. I realize I am still in a learning curve, but things happen for which I have so little understanding and am a total loss of what to do. I think I keep on getting lucky but I'm wondering if that is about to run out.

Thanks....

Dawn

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1546 times
    The learning curve thingy. I get that from Windows 7 users who have been using it for a year.

I suggest you use the charging cable to plug your TF into a USB port on your computer, with the computer on, and leave it for several hours minimum then try using the charger to see if your get a charging light. Leave it that way until it turns green then try turning it on again.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That has happen to me a few times. I have to hold the on button for about 30 seconds. That worked for me.

Donna

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    My niece too, same thing happened to her about a month or more, only she was in tears, I directed her to this great site, cured her problem from our great forum. We found out she was charging her TF USB via PC most all the time, so she was instructed charge it up a few hrs. on the PC, then the wall charger, green light Go! she was back up running., also she runs her Batteries down too many time to 0
    Good luck Dawn, you will get it going.
    rcca
    TF Prime 201 tablet CG-Dock Grey ICS .13 No reboots-no crashes so far.
    Ser. BCOKAS1****
    Netgear 4500 2.4 ch 11
    Belkin Extender, love it, 40' was 1 bar 80 dBM, link 5 Mbps, now 2-3 bars 57dBm link speed 72Mbps

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rcca View Post
    My niece too, same thing happened to her about a month or more, only she was in tears, I directed her to this great site, cured her problem from our great forum. We found out she was charging her TF USB via PC most all the time, so she was instructed charge it up a few hrs. on the PC, then the wall charger, green light Go! she was back up running., also she runs her Batteries down too many time to 0
    Good luck Dawn, you will get it going.
    rcca
    Thanks...I have never charged my Asus via computer before so I am more than willing to give that a try. I'm not sure what "green" you are referring to...actual green? I know there is a green/orange light on the docing keyboard (hum...I wonder if I placed tablet into doc if it would turn on).

In fact, I see the battery icon now and again when my battery gets below 50% or so...but I have never seen an actual color (in this case, red on the bottom of it--or right hand side since the battery is laying horizontally).

I tried holding down the power key for 30+ seconds....when that didn't work, I turned to the forum.

I'm going to try to charge it via my computer. It's probably about the only thing I have left to try.

I don't think I have ever let the battery run down this low before....as I mentioned, when I come home and grabbed my tablet, I noticed that I didn't close it the whole way so that must have drained the battery.

Thanks all.

Dawn

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ddawnca View Post
    Thanks...I have never charged my Asus via computer before so I am more than willing to give that a try. I'm not sure what "green" you are referring to...actual green? I know there is a green/orange light on the docing keyboard (hum...I wonder if I placed tablet into doc if it would turn on).

In fact, I see the battery icon now and again when my battery gets below 50% or so...but I have never seen an actual color (in this case, red on the bottom of it--or right hand side since the battery is laying horizontally).

I tried holding down the power key for 30+ seconds....when that didn't work, I turned to the forum.

I'm going to try to charge it via my computer. It's probably about the only thing I have left to try.

I don't think I have ever let the battery run down this low before....as I mentioned, when I come home and grabbed my tablet, I noticed that I didn't close it the whole way so that must have drained the battery.

Thanks all.

Dawn
    Yes, green on the dock , and also as a traffic light green too GO!
    I fully charged my Prime with out dock and power button does turn solid green, full charge, besides the dock too!
    rcca
    Last edited by rcca; 05-08-2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: update
    Ser. BCOKAS1****
    Netgear 4500 2.4 ch 11
    Belkin Extender, love it, 40' was 1 bar 80 dBM, link 5 Mbps, now 2-3 bars 57dBm link speed 72Mbps

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2256 times
    Hi Dawn,

I am going to try & help here. Some of this may be unnecessary. Some may repeat what has already been said Some may help

1. You can charge the dock & tablet together or individually, you could try charging them separately.
    2. You can charge quickly from the charger, or slowly (trickle charge) from a USB on a pc. The trickle charge, when left running for 12 hours will help to bring life to a battery that has been so badly depleted that it struggles to accept a charge
    3. Batteries can temporarily die if they are flattened so much that they cannot accept a charge (see 2)
    4. There is a Rescue Squad guide on this subject which I will link to below

What I would do is this..
    Connect your tablet only to your PC USB (the pc must be powered on) for 24 hours & then try connecting to the Asus charger.
    If that doesn't get it working, then I would follow the RS Guide, here
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...wont-boot.html

Hope this helps

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Hi Dawn,

I am going to try & help here. Some of this may be unnecessary. Some may repeat what has already been said Some may help

1. You can charge the dock & tablet together or individually, you could try charging them separately.
    2. You can charge quickly from the charger, or slowly (trickle charge) from a USB on a pc. The trickle charge, when left running for 12 hours will help to bring life to a battery that has been so badly depleted that it struggles to accept a charge
    3. Batteries can temporarily die if they are flattened so much that they cannot accept a charge (see 2)
    4. There is a Rescue Squad guide on this subject which I will link to below

What I would do is this..
    Connect your tablet only to your PC USB (the pc must be powered on) for 24 hours & then try connecting to the Asus charger.
    If that doesn't get it working, then I would follow the RS Guide, here
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...wont-boot.html

Hope this helps
    Thank you everyone...I swear, I don't think I would have been nearly as happy with the Asus as I am w/out the help of this forum. It reminds me of my smartphone....me and three other people have it (Windows Focus). I don't have anyone to ask and I just have to figure it out on my own, which means I am sure my phone does a lot more than I have a clue, but anyway, I feel the same with the Asus. What a gift this forum has been to me.

Couple of things--

I rarely use my keyboard. The ONLY reason I bought it was for the extra battery life (which turns out, I seldom need because there is usually electricity available); Scandisk for my camera so I can download pictures on vacation and transfer to the Asus and/or to the miniSD that I can access directly from the tablet (which I seldom utilize after I download the pictures because I've yet to find an app that really allows me to do half of what I did on my laptop. No biggie...folks just have to wait until we get home from vacation to get the pictures); and the USB ports (which I only use when I use the keyboard and since I never use the keyboard, those don't really matter much after all). Bottom line, I take my keyboard out twice a year when we go on our vacations (was just in Europe for 16 days and used keyboard once).

So I know there are amber/green battery indicators on the docking keyboard, but this was the first time I saw a battery icon on my tablet (sideways) with red on the far right. I have seen a tiny little battery indicator on the very bottom, right hand, with red on the bottom when I need to charge my battery, but having nothing but a black screen with a battery in the middle--that was a first. Also, I have never seen green/battery anywhere on my tablet, ever.

THANK YOU! I would have never considered for a second to connect the tablet to the PC. Never. Well, as stated, it gave me just enough charge (where I could actually see a screen now with the little battery with red on the bottom of the right hand side) where I could monkey around with a few other options. Still, the regular wall charger was not being acknowledged. This has happened before and it scared me then too because we were getting ready to leave for vacation and I had no clue what to do. That is when I learned about rebooting, again, thank you forum. I found when I reboot, walk away from the tablet, power off, return in a day or so, all is well. Well, all is well for awhile anyway. There are obviously some bugs/fixes that I need to do, learn or figure out, but I am getting there.

Here is the only thing that still puzzles me (at least about the last problem). I left the tablet "on," so to speak, but that never seemed to matter before anyway. I don't typically power down the whole way unless I'm having issues. I don't seem to need to. The tablet goes to "sleep" after not using it and quickly turns on when I go to use it after it was dormant for how much ever time has lapsed. So when I said I didn't close it, all that really meant was that I didn't close the clasp for the tablet protector that I use....which shouldn't mean anything because when the protector is closed, it doesn't touch any buttons so why wouldn't it go to sleep like all the other times. Why would it (seemingly) continue to run and drain the battery when it just sat there, untouched, for 10 + hours? That is the hiccup I'm trying to figure out because closing the protector doesn't physically do anything to the tablet.

Anyway, I'm up and running at 100% again...thank you all so very much. One of the most helpful boards (without rude bashing) that I've come across in a very long time.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1546 times
    Glad you're up and running. I think to ultimately solve the other issues you may need to go with a factory reset. You would need to get a full backup using the app backup app and make certain any other docs or media are saved elsewhere as well as the backup file. A clean start is the best long term solution.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    YAHOO! Dawn, just was wondering if you got your Tablet up and running, I see you did, great to hear back in the groove.
    rcca
    Ser. BCOKAS1****
    Netgear 4500 2.4 ch 11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads