Thread: Installing App from Play Store via PC

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times

Installing App from Play Store via PC

At work there is no wireless so I'm trying to install an app via my PC. I connect my TF101 via the USB cable, find the app in the play store on the PC and click in stall. I get a message on the PC saying the app will be downloaded to my device shortly but when I try to find it in my apps on the TF101 it's not there. Am I doing something wrong?

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1000 times
    The TF needs an internet connection in order to install the app. Try tethering to your phone or PC
    broonster likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2809 times
    You can plug your TF into your PC via the USB cable and go to Settings - and there is a tethering and hotspot. Enable the tethering via USB and you can then share your work internet via the USB. I think you have to set up Internet Connection Sharing on your main LAN connection, or perhaps it is on the new one. I cannot remember and I do not have my USB cable handy to test it out.

I know it can be done as I have done it before.

Another option, if your PC is Windows 7 you can download the free version of Connectify and this will allow your PC to create a WiFi Hotspot that your TF can connect to and get online via WiFi.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    I've just been told that I must have internet connectivity on my TF101 AS WELL when installing apps via a PC. Which seems to totally negate the ability to install from a PC in the first place.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    423 times
    It is there so you can install stuff without having the tablet in front of you. I have used it before when I saw something interesting, when I got home it was there ready to go and I didn't have to search it out again or remember the name of it. Can be handy at times.
    broonster likes this.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    The TF needs an internet connection in order to install the app. Try tethering to your phone or PC
    I'll give that a go.

Cheers.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2809 times
    You CAN download apps to your PC and then transfer them via USB, but you have to download the .apk file (similar to a .exe in Windows) and then transfer those to your tablet and install them.

To help prevent piracy, the play store does not allow you to download the APK files to a PC and install them manually.

This is the same on iOS and Android for the same reason.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Another option, if your PC is Windows 7 you can download the free version of Connectify and this will allow your PC to create a WiFi Hotspot that your TF can connect to and get online via WiFi.
    +1 on that.. (Connectify) done that many times when no wifi hotspot to connect a tablet.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by broonster View Post
    I've just been told that I must have internet connectivity on my TF101 AS WELL when installing apps via a PC. Which seems to totally negate the ability to install from a PC in the first place.
    The method you are expecting is called 'side loading'. You download an APK (android apps from pirate sites for example), transfer them to the tablet via USB or memory card, and running them from the file manager.

The method you are describing is more like "download via website". Your transformer, just like all android devices, is always in contact with the google server whenever it finds an internet connection. It's hardcoded into the OS. Much like how emails and yahoo messages are pushed into your device, the same goes for the android apps. When you click install, the google server tells your device to download an app directly from their server, exactly the same way if it was triggered from the google play app. Thing of "http://play.google.com/" as an online version of "Google Play App", nothing more.

A website does not have access to your USB device, that would be a serious security hole if it did. The only difference between the app and the site is that browsing the store is a magnitude more convenient on the PC than on the tablet. I do a search, and then middleclick everythng to open them in separate tabs and let me scan the apps descriptions without waiting for a loading screen.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
    The method you are expecting is called 'side loading'. You download an APK (android apps from pirate sites for example), transfer them to the tablet via USB or memory card, and running them from the file manager.

The method you are describing is more like "download via website". Your transformer, just like all android devices, is always in contact with the google server whenever it finds an internet connection. It's hardcoded into the OS. Much like how emails and yahoo messages are pushed into your device, the same goes for the android apps. When you click install, the google server tells your device to download an app directly from their server, exactly the same way if it was triggered from the google play app. Thing of "http://play.google.com/" as an online version of "Google Play App", nothing more.

A website does not have access to your USB device, that would be a serious security hole if it did. The only difference between the app and the site is that browsing the store is a magnitude more convenient on the PC than on the tablet. I do a search, and then middleclick everythng to open them in separate tabs and let me scan the apps descriptions without waiting for a loading screen.
    I'm not looking to side load and i'm definitely not looking to install cracked apps. I just thought I could install from the playstore while connected to my PC.

I have also used an iPad and with those you can connect the device to your PC (with iTunes running obviously), go to the store and download and install an app. No wi-fi required for the iPad, just the internet connection of the PC.

It's no biggy, I just think it's a bit strange.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads