Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Battery charging issue.

I bought the Transformer a couple of weeks ago and now I just received the keyboard. The charge time seems to be excessive, compared to my Incredible phone. I charged the tablet for the recommended 8 hours, but still only had a half battery indication. Now with the keyboard being plugged in for 24 hours, I still received the amber slow blinking light. Is there something I am missing?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    11 times
    If you are using the stock charger there is definitely something wrong, mine charges fully in about 2 hours, don't try to charge from a usb 2 source as it only supplies 5 volts. The TF requires a minimum of 12 volts to charge, the stock charger supplies 15 volts.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I thought I read that you can charge from usb as long as the tablet was off?

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Sure you can charge from USB as long as the device is off, but it will be very slow.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by solara View Post
    Sure you can charge from USB as long as the device is off, but it will be very slow.
    Have you ever charged your Transformer using a USB port?

The reason I ask is that I have read a lengthy thread on this topic and have been lead to believe that charging from a USB port is not possible. Its my understanding that the USB port, just like most cell phone chargers, only puts out 5 volts and that the Transformer requires a minimum of 11 volts and preferably 15 volts. The print is very small on the Transformer charger but I believe it specifies 15volts at 1.2 amps....it might be 1.7 amps (the print is really small).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I suppose it doesn't matter, but its not the voltage that's the problem. Its the current. USB has a limitation on how much current it can provide. If it supported more current it would be fine. The actual charging voltage will be the same regardless of what charger you use. Batteries need a voltage higher than their own voltage or they won't charge. That means its impossible to charge a battery at 12 volts sometimes, and 5 volts another time. Just try doing that with your car battery sometime
    Someone earlier said "My T'Former Wall Wart states that its output voltage is 5-15V." well that means the wall wart is going to provide 5 volts, not 15...but much higher current than USB can provide.
    no way its delivering 15 volts to the same port as the USB charger uses. it would damage the device

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Probably more about this topic at the following link than you want to know.

DIY TF101 charger and other charging methods - xda-developers

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Fremen, you are right for general usb charging, but if you read the DIY charger linked above, you'll see this doesn't apply to the transformer (it uses proprietary pinning to see if you use standard usb, meaning 5V 0.5A, or an AC charger that can ouputs 11V+, probably 15V, through the same USB female connector)
    By the way, some android smartphones need also more (current) than the 5V 0.5A a PC USB port outputs to charge when turned ON (my HTC needs 5V but 650mA+). That's why you see AC chargers with an usb port rated for 1A+ on ebay... (sold as "compatible with new digital phones or tablets"). But using 5V they keep a standard mini/microUSB connector, and not a proprietary one (with nonstandard pinning) like our EeePad.
    Last edited by oliwek; 06-29-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oliwek View Post
    Fremen, you are right for general usb charging, but if you read the DIY charger linked above, you'll see this doesn't apply to the transformer (it uses proprietary pinning to see if you use standard usb, meaning 5V 0.5A, or an AC charger that can ouputs 11V+, probably 15V, through the same USB female connector)
    By the way, some android smartphones need also more (current) than the 5V 0.5A a PC USB port outputs to charge when turned ON (my HTC needs 5V but 650mA+). That's why you see AC chargers with an usb port rated for 1A+ on ebay... (sold as "compatible with new digital phones or tablets"). But using 5V they keep a standard mini/microUSB connector, and not a proprietary one (with nonstandard pinning) like our EeePad.
    Most USB ports now do provide approximately 1A of current. USB powered hard drives need about 1A to spin up, but only around 500mA to stay spinning; that's why most USB powered HDs come with a special mini USB cable that has a data and power USB plug. That way if you've got a computer that very strictly follows the USB standard you can still power the device, but you'll have to use two plugs to do it. You can't harm a device by offering too much current because it'll only draw what it needs - going over the voltage rating will almost always destroy a device, though.

And I thought the TF used the extra pins from the USB 3.0 standard - I can tell you from experience that a USB 3.0 extension cable works perfectly as a power extension cable for the wall plug. USB 1.1 and 2.0 don't have those extra pins, though.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I found a thread that mentioned to update my firmware.
    The directions were to do a reboot by pressing the power button and the down volume arrow at the same time. Hold this for ten seconds and then follow the onscreen directions of either pressing the up or down arrow to reboot and wipe the data from the tablet.This procedure worked great and now I can see a lightning bolt in the battery indicator when it is plugged into the ac charger. The tablet now only takes 2 hours to charge and a little more to charge the keyboard.

This keyboard really has a delay when typing. Any suggestions for that?
    Last edited by Treefox; 06-29-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links