Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By mitchelln

Thread: Allowing current apps to see the MicroSD slot

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

FIX - Allowing current apps to see the MicroSD slot

Most current apps (including Google Music, JustPictures, Titanium Backup etc) are hard wired to scan /mnt/sdcard for files. This is especially a pain for music files as so many apps use the internal musicstore database that does not scan the external card. I tried using ln -s but it failed as you you can't create symbolic links to a FAT32 file system.

However you can use the following in a terminal on the device (or via adb) if you have root:

su
    cd /mnt/sdcard
    mkdir MicroSD
    mount -o bind /Removable/MicroSD /mnt/sdcard/MicroSD

This mounts the external card as a folder off the internal storage. Apps can then seamlessly find all files on your card. This was driving me nuts, so one major pain solved for me Pity Asus didn't do this out of the box!

Getting root access couldn't be easier BTW - http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ng-device.html
    Last edited by mitchelln; 06-27-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    dversa, Chris, ViperGeek and 1 others like this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Does this allow you to put program data on the microSD card and the programs/games will automatically see and use it?

A lot of large games place their data on the internal storage labelled as sdcard - would love to move them to the microSD card instead.

Oh, and can you open up a terminal to send those commands without the TF being rooted? And does this persist after a shut down/reboot?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchelln View Post
    su
    cd /mnt/sdcard
    mkdir MicroSD
    mount -o bind /Removable/MicroSD /mnt/sdcard/MicroSD

This mounts the external card as a folder off the internal storage. Apps can then seamlessly find all files on your card. This was driving me nuts, so one major pain solved for me Pity Asus didn't do this out of the box!
    This is a cool trick. Thanks! Unfortunately, it doesn't "stick" after a reboot. Does anyone know where the equivalent of automount lives on the TF?

- Dave

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by solara View Post
    Oh, and can you open up a terminal to send those commands without the TF being rooted? And does this persist after a shut down/reboot?
    Using Android Terminal Emulator, you can get to the Linux shell without adb and it doesn't require root. Of course, the 'mount' command does require root.

- Dave

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchelln View Post
    Pity Asus didn't do this out of the box!
    I have no problem with apps seeing the MicroSD card without any tomfoolery. All my documents, videos, ebooks and music are on the card.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    I have no problem with apps seeing the MicroSD card without any tomfoolery. All my documents, videos, ebooks and music are on the card.
    Most apps are hard wired to only look in /mnt/sdcard. I suspect the ones shipped with the tablet have been selected by Asus or been modified for them. It would be pretty silly shipping a device with apps that could not access the external card - a big selling point versus the Xoom.
    One thing I found is that Google Music that came with the tablet scanned the MicroSD, but after I updated it via Market it stopped. I guess Asus had a tweaked version. Other apps like Titanium Backup are also hard wired to /mnt/sdcard and it's pretty pointless backing up your tablet to the storage that gets wiped on a hard reset!

Other apps I use that don't currently allow browse of root directory:
    Adobe Reader
    OverDrive eBook reader
    VitalPlayer
    JustPictures
    Software Data Cable
    Bluetooth File Transfer
    A Note
    eWallet Viewer
    SpringPad
    ColorDict
    WikiDroid
    CoPilot

I'm sure they'll all eventually support the Transformer's /Removable, but it's nice to be able to use these apps now. Also, each manufacturer seems to be doing it differently with all sorts of paths being used. It's going to end up a right old mess. I'm amazed more thought wasn't put into this with Honeycomb to avoid this.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeek View Post
    This is a cool trick. Thanks! Unfortunately, it doesn't "stick" after a reboot. Does anyone know where the equivalent of automount lives on the TF?
    It is possible to get this to do it by modifying /etc/vold.fstab and /system/build.prop but I haven't tried yet. One mistake and the system might not boot and I haven't got time at the moment to play!
    Last edited by mitchelln; 07-01-2011 at 05:42 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links