Like Tree1Likes

Thread: One app to rule them alll

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

One app to rule them alll

Hey all,

I just got my Transformer a week ago (Fathers day), loving it. Like many, however, there are a few things I really wish they'd fix soon. Netflix, Hulu, many sites streaming non-supported audio/video formats thus not playable or very very sluggish.. that's probably my biggest gripe.

Well, if you own a Mac or Windows computer, there is an app out there that is indispensable. It's called Splashtop Remote HD. It is a remote desktop app that allows you to control your windows or OSX computer. What sets this one apart though is it's shear quality. I've used just about every remote app out there, and none come close to being as smooth as this. It does cost money.. $5 right now, normally $10. You also do have to be logged in to your Mac or Windows box although I suspect there may be an update to allow you to log in from the app on the tablet. It is also available for ipad, iphone, and android phones.. needs 2.2 or later.

In the demo pics on the market I saw a picture of World of Warcraft, a game I have installed and used to play religiously. I've used virtual machines (VMware and VirtualBox), as well as VNC, TightVNC, Windows Remote Desktop, and a few others and while all of them generally work ok, playback of games was pretty much impossible, and watching netflix was pretty bad too. To my utter amazement, I could not only watch netflix smoothly, with no flicker or lag, but I could actually play World of Warcraft on my tablet using this app! It's not easy.. using a touch screen to control a game that uses so many keys is difficult.. but it worked.. flawlessly! It was smooth as butter.

I gain nothing from talking about this app, they aren't paying me nor am I related to it in any way. I just wanted to share one of the few gems on android market, and it's geared for tablets (thus the HD in it). I don't think you can copy files through the remote to your tablet.. yet.. but I would imagine if they can stream the video out of your computer over wifi to your tablet so smooth.it's just data.. it's only a matter of time before they offer that feature too.

So, if you're needing to watch netflix, hulu, or other stuff, use a word processor, your email app, etc.. check it out. It's well worth the $5.
    ziminar likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I just picked this up yesterday, and am quite happy with it too. I was amazed at how smooth it was. It is quite a bit better than the free version. I used it today at work to access a computer on another floor of my office.
    My only minor complaint is that when my computer is set it 5.1 sound, no sound comes to my tablet. I have to set windows to a stereo sound setup to work. I will rarely do anything with sound anyway, so its not a big deal.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Yeah been using it as well, works really nice. I can login to my boxes with it? You just hit the cntrl+alt+del buttons on the top keyboard and enter your user/pass? (Only tried this on Server 2008 R2) The problem with Netflix and Hulu is not an Asus problem, the hardware they have used along with the software this device is running is fully capable. Those responsibilities lie on those respective companies, not Asus.
    Droid life started with a Droid(Froyo) - rooted , Then came the Incredible(Gingerbread) - rooted , but now the Transformer(Honeycomb) - rooted .
    (We don't like to talk about the Archos 70 in our house)

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Agreed on Netflix, Hulu and even streaming sites that don't work. Like most other devices, the hardware only supports a limited set of codecs, the rest is done in software. So if your video is MP4 and H.264 or H.263 with MP3 audio, it runs flawless. What I am not sure of is why other formats are so bad at being decoded even if done in software? Like VLC on my linux box or windows, decodes a large number of formats no problem. I do realize I have a much beefier desktop than the 1Ghz dual core cpus, but with the GPUs too, I figured that the Tegra chipset could easily handle 1080p decoding of any format. It could be the particular players right now just aren't that optimized.. or could be crappy code for some of the decoders.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I justo bought my eee pad transformer this week, im very happy with it as a free time spending machine, now im going to start to try it as a working machine, i'm very happy with polaris office, its not my word but it does a great job, its not really usefull to MAKE powerpoints or excels but if good for viewing them and changing any detail, in the other hand it is very good replaicemente of yor ordinary microsoft word, im able to write there and organice my writing, its not a 100% replaicemente because i still use word to redecorate my documents but it is perfect to carry it too university and take notes. Now im going to start trying more engeneer especific probrams wich obiusly i know i cant use directly on my tablet but ill try using remote programs.

Up to now im using splashtop remote, the one which comes with the tablet, but the image of my deskt is cut show i have to be continuosly moving it, to solve this i've discovered that if i enter the game world of warcraft and then exit, the image issue is solved XD but i will want to have a real solution. Does splashtop HD solve this?

P.D: my desktop normaly works at 1360-760

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The HD version will scale your desktop to fit. Or you can simply try setting your desktop to 1280x800 and see it that fixes it before you buy the app if everything else is working correctly for you.
    Droid life started with a Droid(Froyo) - rooted , Then came the Incredible(Gingerbread) - rooted , but now the Transformer(Honeycomb) - rooted .
    (We don't like to talk about the Archos 70 in our house)

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Did the TF come with Spalshtop? I didn't even notice that if so. Anyway, as the other poster said the HD scales the desktop. My desktop is 1920x1200 res, but it scales down to fit in my tablet screen and it looks very clear and sharp. It's of course a bit harder to read text initially due to smaller 10" screen, but very usable.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    This is good to hear as I could care less for the free version of Splashtop. I found that it was a pain to use overall, especially since to desktop didn't scale down. Trying to scroll down on a window on the pc was complicated as the TF would think that I wanted to scroll down the overall window (not sure what else to call it) of the TF and not the window on the winbox. Finally I just gave up. The other sucky part is that if my son wants to use that computer I can't use splashtop. Of couse a fix for this would simply to have Netflix hurry up and support our tabs!

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Just tried out Splashtop HD - pretty impressive speed and quality. Thanks for the tip.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have been using the splashtop that came with the transformer and videos are a little jumpy. I am using a wireless G router. Do I need an N router or will splashtop HD will fix my problem? Also I notice that as soon as I connect to my computer my cpu starts running at 80% and does not go back down as long as I am connected using splashtop. Anyone else notice it hogging resources?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links