Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

64GB SDXC Unmount/Mount issues?

My TF101 reads a new 64gb SDXC card I have just fine, as long as it is formatted in NTFS. However, if I unplug it (either with undocking it first through the UI, or just unclicking it), I cannot stick it back in without fully rebooting the tablet, otherwise it just won't show back up. This is not the case with standard SDHC cards.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

Also, I am *not* on ICS. With all the VPN issues people have had, I refuse to go up until I can root and all my work related features will function properly!!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1627 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zonearc View Post
    My TF101 reads a new 64gb SDXC card I have just fine, as long as it is formatted in NTFS. However, if I unplug it (either with undocking it first through the UI, or just unclicking it), I cannot stick it back in without fully rebooting the tablet, otherwise it just won't show back up. This is not the case with standard SDHC cards.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

Also, I am *not* on ICS. With all the VPN issues people have had, I refuse to go up until I can root and all my work related features will function properly!!
    That problem has been reported before but I don't think anyone came up with a firm fix. It seemed to be limited to specific cards.

As for the VPN issue you mentioned I have no idea. I have 2 customers using TF101s, with ICS, rooted and using VPN so you need to get more specific. The reason they needed to root was only because they needed to use Cisco AnyConnect and at the time it requires rooting. All the other VPN solutions I see used appear to work just fine.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times

64Gb SDXC

I have the same card but formatted to Fat32 so it can be read in CWM and this works fine when unmounting or mounting

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AceAPH View Post
    I have the same card but formatted to Fat32 so it can be read in CWM and this works fine when unmounting or mounting
    Interesting. The reason I originally went NTFS with it was that I read a few forum posts from people saying that the only way they could get it to work on their Transformer was to use NTFS. I should try it with FAT32 and see if it is that simple. Thanks!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times

File To Use

The file I used was guiformat
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1627 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zonearc View Post
    Interesting. The reason I originally went NTFS with it was that I read a few forum posts from people saying that the only way they could get it to work on their Transformer was to use NTFS. I should try it with FAT32 and see if it is that simple. Thanks!
    Either should work. The primary reason for using NTFS is that FAT32 as a file size limitation of 4GB. Otherwise it should not be a problem.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    148 times
    There's another reason to use NTFS: double-linked lists. FAT and FAT32 both use single-linked lists for the file structure, whereas NTFS uses double-linked lists (more robust).

Normally, this matters not one whit-- but if the card ever becomes corrupted by something, you have a much better chance of recovering valuable data, with double-linked file structure of NTFS.

I was using FAT32, and had pretty much continuous mount issues on my SDXC card-- that is, whenever the TF101 went to sleep, it would "loose" contact with the card, requiring a remove/re-insert to get the files back. Reformatting it in NTFS pretty much eliminated that problem for me. And it seems to be slightly faster (I suspect the TF was having read-errors under the old FAT32 format, which was slowing it down).

Your mileage may vary, but I prefer the much more robust nature of NTFS over FAT. I just wish I had a Linux-friendly alternative to NTFS that the TF would use, but I don't know of any.

The card I'm using is a Sandisk Ultra, by the way.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Ads