Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Support..External hard drive question

Forgive my ignorance everyone, but I have a portable external hard drive question. When I plug in the drive to my docked Transformer, I can pull my movie files off of the external, but when I try to view the videos on my stock Transformer(ICS), the videos are completely pixelated, chopped, and visually unrecognizable. What am I doing wrong? I have never used and external hard drive with Android before, is there some kind of formatting that I am supposed to do? I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer. I am trying to transfer my movie collection from my laptop to my class 10, 32gb sd card , inserted into the docking station.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    The SD card would be a good solution but what you're trying to do should work. I suggest trying a different movie player as you didn't specify what you are viewing them in. Try MX Player or Mobo Player from the Google Store

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks i will try them

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    I suggest you to read this thread from start to beginning. You may find any answers about video play on your device, on a tv connected by hdmi, from hard drive, etc...

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...yer-guide.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I read the thread, I guess I am just dumb. I dont need to view the movies on my TV. I am just trying to convert them so they will play on my tablet, but I dont know what to do to the file so that it will play. Do I convert it? How? I tried Mobo, and MX, neither one of them will play. It is a "Digital Copy" of a movie that plays fine on the laptop . I can put the file on my SD card, it recognizes it and tries to play, but there is nothing but choppy jibberish on the screen, with no decipherable audio.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryano89 View Post
    I read the thread, I guess I am just dumb. I dont need to view the movies on my TV. I am just trying to convert them so they will play on my tablet, but I dont know what to do to the file so that it will play. Do I convert it? How? I tried Mobo, and MX, neither one of them will play. It is a "Digital Copy" of a movie that plays fine on the laptop . I can put the file on my SD card, it recognizes it and tries to play, but there is nothing but choppy jibberish on the screen, with no decipherable audio.
    You didn't mention the format, (extension) of the files. A forum sponsor is DVDCatalyst and their software is the best. It's $10 well spent. So if conversion is what you're after that would be the way to go.

There is still some missing information so if you could at least mention what type of format the video is it would help. Ultimately that conversion may be the best idea anyway since there are some settings optimized for the TF. Pretty much guaranteed to play, and well.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nitefox View Post
    I suggest you to read this thread from start to beginning. You may find any answers about video play on your device, on a tv connected by hdmi, from hard drive, etc...

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...yer-guide.html
    I have used DVDCatalyst to make tablet (and PC) friendly copies of DVDs - very easy to use.
    Not sure what it can do for digital copies - generally these have some form of DRM on them so that they are only playable via IT tunes or similar and I suspect that the TF101 player can't cope with that (hence why the file is choppy etc.) From memory DVDCatalyst won't convert DRM encoded video files, but if you have the DVD as well it should cope with that.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    awesome, thanks for the help everyone, I will be purchasing DVD Catalyst. Turns out I have a friend who has it, and it worked perfectly. It wont convert digital copies, but you are right the dvd worked fine. thanks guys

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    In dvdcatalyst , there are a number of 'default' setups. I generally use the ones for the motorola xoom - there are different quality settings within that and i'd suggest experimenting to pick the sweet spot (for you) between super high quality , file size and the time it takes to render.
    I would not recommend specifying the target file to be saved on an external USB HD or SD card though as this will take longer to write (quicker to copy them over afterwards)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links