Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Do system sleep disabling apps prevent random reboots?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    14 times

Question Do system sleep disabling apps prevent random reboots?

I did all I could think of to prevent random reboots of my ICS TF101 without using an app but just got one today and my last one before that was 3 days ago.

Has anyone tried using an app like Softlocker by Otis8 to prevent the device from going to deep sleep?

The app will still allow the screen to turn off based on your Display settings. It was a solution I used in days with the the first gen Archos 101 when dealing with similar deep sleep issues.

Starting today I'm trying it out and seeing if it eliminates the random reboots.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    installing this now

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    It is an interesting hypothesis, & one which fits with the symptoms I have observed re conditions when a random reboot occurs. Please report back with your findings. Thanks.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    14 times
    So far so good but to soon to scream victory. I can already tell that battery life will suffer slightly but I'd much rather take that hit than to get a reboot and get the boot up stuck on to drain my battery. I'll keep you guys posted and update my sig if I get a reboot.

An interesting thing I noticed is that when I go to Settings -> Battery I'm seeing for the first time a Tablet idle process I don't remember seeing. Also here's a small break down of the battery usage when the tablet is running off of the main battery:
    -- Wifi 92%
    -- Tablet idle 4%
    -- SoftLocker 4%
    Devices: ASUS Transformer TF101 16GB B40K (Stock ICS) + dock B50K | Nexus One (Stock Gingerbread) | Archos 101 Gen8 (Stock Gingerbread)
    Current TF101 ICS build: US_9.2.1.24-20120503
    Random TF101 ICS reboot fix test run#1: Random reboot free from 3/21/2012 to 3/29/2012. Using SoftLocker FREE* app w/ WiFi always on.
    Current random TF101 ICS reboot fix config: Wake Lock + Auto Airplane Mode + manual reboot each night + disabled unused ASUS apps + minimal sync services

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm thinking I'm going to try this too. At least one other forum has shown this fix using wakelock.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    24hrs without reboot for now, i tested on tablet only though. Will try to use the dock today.
    I felt the battery drained faster as well, but nothing solid about that

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    14 times
    Using SoftLocker for a few days and no random reboots!!! For the first time since ICS i perform a manual reboot. Thank goodness for market apps to help with problems

EDIT: Switching ASUS Quick Settings, all location settings, and auto rotate back on. Hopefully my system will continue to work smoothly.
    Last edited by loganss; 03-24-2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: re-enabling features
    Devices: ASUS Transformer TF101 16GB B40K (Stock ICS) + dock B50K | Nexus One (Stock Gingerbread) | Archos 101 Gen8 (Stock Gingerbread)
    Random TF101 ICS reboot fix test run#1: Random reboot free from 3/21/2012 to 3/29/2012. Using SoftLocker FREE* app w/ WiFi always on.
    Current random TF101 ICS reboot fix config: Wake Lock + Auto Airplane Mode + manual reboot each night + disabled unused ASUS apps + minimal sync services

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    7 times
    Hi loganss...do you have an approx idea of battery drain per hour using SoftLocker with the edited set up described in post #7? I can prevent random reboots on mine but the battery drain on this method was 8%/hour fresh off a factory reset (using this guide to the letter http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ory-reset.html). After monitoring the most boring TF in the world for almost a week I finally broke down and set up my TF to what I call my need/want apps and widget set up yesterday. I expect I will have an increased battery drain now but I haven't put it down long enough to monitor it I want to try SoftLocker but if it doesn't help battery drain I would feel the need to do another FRX3 and set it up again. I'm not rooted so this set up is not just a flash away; it's quite time consuming. So...anyway...if you know the approx battery drain on SoftLocker and wouldn't mind sharing I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    14 times
    Hey LisarL2,
    I'm currently performing a complete drain battery test of my TF101+dock with light-moderate use. Started the test at ~10am EST 3/25/2012 and my dock battery is drained by ~10pm. My list of activity during that time was on-off browser usage throughout, 1hr+ youtube vids at 100% brightness, amazon mp3 streaming, google voice usage. I always keep my tablet at lowest brightness unless watching videos or in bright light environments. I'm on tablet only power now and I suspect I'll be drained mid-day tomorrow.

I'll be posting my Dual Battery Widget history over that time and a list of running /cached apps at the end of this test. People will be able to judge for themselves if the battery drain is too much for this method, since it's a pretty subjective subject of what is too much. To me I can't tell the difference of the battery drain compared to when I didn't use SoftLocker.
    LisaorL2 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    7 times
    Thank you Loganss. SoftLocker sounds like a good Plan B for me if I encounter trouble with Plan A. Plan A is having Settings Display Sleep = Always On and using Asus Clock instead of Sleep. (Sorry, can't remember who to give credit for that to...) I'm currently at 6-8% battery drain while in "clock" mode but no random rebooting; however, I just started using Plan A so I'm not 100% sure it's going to work. Thank you!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links