Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Post ICS - icons vanish!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    14 times
    Ugh my self control went totally out the window. I couldn't deal with not knowing the battery life of the dock. I put Dual Battery Widget back on but I'm using an older version (0.7.7) . Wonder if my icons will stay visible.
    Devices: ASUS Transformer TF101 16GB B40K (Stock ICS) + dock B50K | Nexus One (Stock Gingerbread) | Archos 101 Gen8 (Stock Gingerbread)
    Current TF101 ICS build: US_9.2.1.24-20120503
    Random TF101 ICS reboot fix test run#1: Random reboot free from 3/21/2012 to 3/29/2012. Using SoftLocker FREE* app w/ WiFi always on.
    Current random TF101 ICS reboot fix config: Wake Lock + Auto Airplane Mode + manual reboot each night + disabled unused ASUS apps + minimal sync services

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    133 times
    I learned something......some apps leave fragments of code when deleted. Turns out that Slacker did that. I deleted the remaining files, rebooted, and these problems seem to have gone away....though I need to test for another day or two.

If you pull an app, and problems continue, use the file manager and check your hard drive to see if there may be file fragments still sitting there. They may be part of your problem.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB5204 View Post
    If you pull an app, and problems continue, use the file manager and check your hard drive to see if there may be file fragments still sitting there. They may be part of your problem.
    PAB5204
    How would you know?

I have snooped around the file system a bit myself, but was careful to not change anything. Are the file fragments labeled appropriately? Or are there subdirectories with appropriate names? This may be a stupid question, but I bet I'm not the only one wondering how you figured out that file fragments from Slacker Radio (for example) were still there hanging around...

TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    133 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    How would you know?

I have snooped around the file system a bit myself, but was careful to not change anything. Are the file fragments labeled appropriately? Or are there subdirectories with appropriate names? This may be a stupid question, but I bet I'm not the only one wondering how you figured out that file fragments from Slacker Radio (for example) were still there hanging around...

Take a look for directory names....it was easy.

Right in the root directory of my Transformer (after uninstalling both Slacker and PocketBlu) there was a file directory called "Slacker", and another called "PocketBlu". Each of those directories contained subdirectories, as well as files.

That's how I knew

So, I just deleted both directories, including all files in them, rebooted, and "poof", my tablet started behaving again.

Maybe it's just coincidence....but....I think not.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Take a look for directory names....it was easy.

Right in the root directory of my Transformer (after uninstalling both Slacker and PocketBlu) there was a file directory called "Slacker", and another called "PocketBlu". Each of those directories contained subdirectories, as well as files.

That's how I knew

PAB5204
    Excellent. Thank you!

I will snoop around some more, to see if I have leftover bits-- all too often, I'll try out a program/app, then discard it as not doing what I thought. I use Root Explorer myself-- what's your favorite file browser?
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    12 times
    Maybe it's just coincidence....but....I think not.
    Sounds like a coincidence to me. Uninstalling an app removes all the code that could run and affect the tablet. The only thing left would be random data, which shouldn't affect anything.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    My Transformer keeps freezing and when it comes back, all the icons are gone for about 20 seconds.
    We can't play any games on the tablet anymore because they all freeze. You tube flickers and is unusable. Basically the update turned my tablet, which I loved, into a piece of garbage.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    9 times
    It happens to my Asus Transformer on a regular basis after the ICS update and found out from the forums that there was no need to reboot, just close the Launcher in Settings/Apps/Running (show cached or show running processes).

This is too obvious for me to actually declare as to what app is responsible because it was easy for me to find out for myself just now that when I placed the Super Booster widget (a rocket launching of all things) on my homescreen and once this widget is pressed to do a simulated reboot, all my apps disappeared. So there. I can speculate that the icons disappearing can be triggered by a number of actions not relative to one another (not a chain of events) but this SB app's widget could be directly related to the cause ...my speculation ends. I'm sorry it's best to end it before I start making things up you see :-)

Laughter ! The best medicine :-)

- using Asus Transformer named Moses
    Last edited by Aeroplane; 04-02-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    133 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    Excellent. Thank you!

I will snoop around some more, to see if I have leftover bits-- all too often, I'll try out a program/app, then discard it as not doing what I thought. I use Root Explorer myself-- what's your favorite file browser?
    I use the stock file browser myself. With Honeycomb, I was using ES File Explorer, Astro, and then after upgrade to ICS, I've tried File Explorer HD.

I've trimmed back to the stock file browser though. It seems to do everything I need, with the exception of FTP.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    5 times
    Yeah,

This recently started happening to me, too. And I have a Transformer Prime. Been running the most recent build of ICS for a couple/three weeks now with no sign of this behavior. But here in the last couple of days it's been happening a lot, usually after a web browsing session (I use the stock browser, as well as Dolphin). I don't think I have purchased any apps in the past week or so, but several of my apps have been updated. I don't have Slacker Radio or Pocket Blue, but I do have the Dual Battery Widget. I'll try removing that and see what happens. But, really, I shouldn't have to play hide-n-seek with my apps to make my tablet work. So frustrating. C'mon Asus!

Herder

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Ads